Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2019, 09:02   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Must admit first thing I thought of was missing dust caps, because of what you said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Will buy now the SKF ones, hope they're better, shouldn't have even installed these from GSP, when looking at them from the inner side, you could see that there was like a half centimeter gap there and you could actually see the grease inside them through that gap, silly me thought that it won't be much of a problem
It isn't - these aren't sealed bearings as standard so you'll see the races no matter which make you buy. The dust caps are necessary because the bearings aren't sealed.

The difference will be in the materials and the quality of the production methods used by the decent manufacturers.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 29th May 2019 at 12:01..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 09:32   #12
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Hmm. My rear backplates are just slightly corroded but nothing serious. Also, as stated, I used the correct torque setting that Haynes manual recommends. Dust cap is also in place and properly fitted. And by the way, about incorrect fitting, you mean that you should torque them to the correct Nm? I can't imagine another way that one can fit these incorrectly since it's a pretty straightforward job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 12:09   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Sounds like a quality issue with the bearings. If they were only fitted a couple of months ago take them back under warranty.

There is another way to incorrectly fit them - Shiner was asked to look at an ABS problem once after a garage replaced both rear bearings........

They had fitted them with the magnetic reluctors facing out.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:15   #14
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Great lol real mechanics, I suppose that in that case also the speed dial of the ipk was dead since the abs sensors were not reading anything?

Old 29th May 2019, 12:42   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Luckily the speed is read from the front right sensor. Bit embarrassing for the garage who fitted them though.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:42   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Great lol real mechanics, I suppose that in that case also the speed dial of the ipk was dead since the abs sensors were not reading anything?

Nope.. the speedo only reads from the offside front sensor.
Old 29th May 2019, 22:52   #17
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Hello, for about the last 2 days I can hear the typical humming that a wheel bearing makes which is coming from the rear side. The problem is, I can't figure out which side it is, right or left... Also, when I turn left while driving at about 30mph the sound is a little more noticeable. Any ideas how to test which one is worn?

The noise increasing when you turn Left would suggest that it is the off side loaded bearing that is giving the problem.
Personally as a sad old engineer, if it was me I would be changing both of them. My reasoning for this is that they are both the same age and will have covered the same distance. I always believe that preventive maintenance is the best kind of maintenance.
Though I know that if you are not able to carry out the work your self, this can be expensive.
A small reminder always fit quality parts, buying bearings on price can be false economy, as some made in the PROC can be as bad as the worn ones you are removing.
Best of luck in solving your problem.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 11:33   #18
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes sir, you are completely right, paying about 35 pounds for both bearings was a silly choice on my side, as you said, false economy. Now done some research and found out that FAG and SKF are building high quality wheel bearings, the websites where I looked them up here in Germany are also qualifying these 2 manufacturers as "premium". I will be getting 2 FAG rear wheel bearings and swapping them myself, have all the tools necessary plus a car lift which makes any type of work on cars easily accessible.