Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2019, 14:27   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
And the best protest sign today (I have edited it for the forum)

I hope DT and his supporters don't see the writing on the poster on the left Andy - otherwise they will be well pleased that people think so highly of him!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 16:09   #32
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Both pass comment on things not in their power to give, some can't help themselves in doing so.

Yep - trade agreements are designed/refined by large populations of technocrats over years before they are ready for "signing" by the heads of state. A trade agreement between the US and the UK will be no different.

Where a head of state does have executive powers is to prevent progress being made in trade negotiations "in the national interest".

DT's approach to negotiations thus far seems to to me to have been a case seeking highly advantageous position for US interests and therefore not very successful in concluding such negotations.

Here is an interesting and in my view balanced perspective form the US side.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/04/b...ump/index.html
Old 4th June 2019, 16:13   #33
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

American Ambassador, on BBC Marr (Sunday) claiming again that US/UK Trade Deal would need to include food, including US Chlorinated Chicken and Hormone injected beef.

Donald Trump at official Press Conference today says that as far as US is concerned the NHS *is* on the table in any trade deal: “The NHS and everything else”.

So much for ‘taking back control’ !
Now we know what ‘America First’ will mean.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 16:19   #34
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
American Ambassador, on BBC Marr (Sunday) claiming again that US/UK Trade Deal would need to include food, including US Chlorinated Chicken and Hormone injected beef.

Donald Trump at official Press Conference today says that as far as US is concerned the NHS *is* on the table in any trade deal: “The NHS and everything else”.

So much for ‘taking back control’ !
Now we know what ‘America First’ will mean.

Did he say whether we will have anything left under our ownership once the "trade deal" is signed?
Old 4th June 2019, 18:28   #35
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Should by any chance trade negotiations start, the very first item on the agenda should be the USA repaying the unpaid debt of £12.6 million congestion charges outstanding - that's just in London.

It's a two way street with the only obstruction being a matter of Law. Once that's out of the way all the lights change to Green. In his currently good mood he'll be pleased to hear that. It's odd that no legal charges have ever been made for recovery, I wonder who keeps allowing it. Are there similar policies in NY? Negotiator, Schmegotiator.
Old 4th June 2019, 18:32   #36
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Bad show Stevie. Determined to do it weren't you? Did that as children playing table tennis - upset the table to stop.
Old 4th June 2019, 18:45   #37
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

I just wonder what sanctions he will impose on the U.K. if we don't agree with his trade deals. As he does with other countries who stand up to him.
See post 40.
Just to add, i think Trump is looking to start World War 3,not with bombs and bullets,but a financial war.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.

Last edited by jackatesme; 4th June 2019 at 18:56..
jackatesme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 18:58   #38
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Oh, I am so glad you raised the recent EU Elections!

There are several ways to make plausible comparisons. The simplest is to compare the Brexit party’s 5.2m votes across the UK with the “NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to Brexit” Lib Dems and the pro-remain Greens, who attracted 3.4m and 2m. Taken together, they come out 142,000 votes higher at 5.4m.

A second method is to take all the pro-Brexit parties – Farage’s party, Ukip and the DUP – and compare that against the pro-remain parties, taking in Change UK and Scottish, Welsh and Irish nationalists. That gives you 5.9 million voting unambiguously pro-Brexit and 6.8 million voting for remain parties, including 884,000 from the SNP, Plaid, Sinn Fein and the Alliance Party in Northern Ireland.

I will now make no further contribution to this thread, and leave it to others to make comment, if they want.
This actually highlights the problem facing us - that the country is divided, the population polarised, and will remain so because at least 50% of the population believe that the country has been misled during recent times to secure certain outcomes. There is a strong argument for going back to the country so that the populaion has the opportunity to reinforce their positions now that that there is more clarity, the consequences of which will impact them for tens of years.

I refer of course to the justification for inviting DT for a state visit.

If I was in JC's position, I would have gone to the state banquet and raised a glass to offer a toast to a great statesman and American - the late John McCain.
Old 4th June 2019, 19:06   #39
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I just wonder what sanctions he will impose on the U.K. if we don't agree with his trade deals. As he does with other countries who stand up to him.
See post 40.
Just to add, i think Trump is looking to start World War 3,not with bombs and bullets,but a financial war.
Good and relevant point if I may say. But....consider the extensive presence of existing commercial and military US interests already here. This is a whip with two handles and nobody wants to let go.

Given the backbone, it should be resolved a lot easier than the last time anybody got into negotiations with a trading partner. I'd volunteer a year just for the fun of it. A suitable mindset is all that is required and Mr. Trump is definitely not a salesman, he can only try to dictate and that means he's not as cute as he thinks he is.

Or as long standing. At the back of my mind I had the following reminder waiting to see light of day:

Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Macbeth, but so Trump.

Last edited by wraymond; 4th June 2019 at 19:26..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 21:51   #40
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thou art forgiven thy trespass on sacred ground.

I once too, I said once and once only, fell foul of the same Damoclean fate. I mentioned, entirely within proper context, the horticultural term for a square of turf beginning with an ‘s’, followed by an ‘o’ and finishing with a ‘d’. The ‘post’ button resulted in two lines of upper case reprimand which provoked streams of invective. Sotto voce, of course.

Last edited by wraymond; 4th June 2019 at 21:58..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote