Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd June 2019, 13:45   #1
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Default MOT fail

Hi all. Had a suspension arm ball joint excessively worn front (both)
suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn. My concern with taking the vehicle back to the same garage is that I had new arms/bushes fitted two years ago at the same place and have only done 10.000 miles since. I have had no feedback during driving to suggest there is wear. The garage also say that the parts they use are Rover and not cheaper aftermarket ones. Thoughts welcome.
I cannot seem to download images.
Loyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:57   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyboy View Post
suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn. My concern with taking the vehicle back to the same garage is that I had new arms/bushes fitted two years ago at the same place and have only done 10.000 miles since. I have had no feedback during driving to suggest there is wear. The garage also say that the parts they use are Rover and not cheaper aftermarket ones. Thoughts welcome.
Definitely go to a different garage - or ask one of the guys here - to have the ball joints, bushings and hubs looked at. Are they really that worn in 10,000 miles? Were they actually replaced? What brand/quality of parts were actually installed? These are the questions that should be in your head to discuss with whoever looks at it for you.

Good luck,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:58   #3
ROVER2003

buy the parts your self and then get it fixed best way to get it and is cheaper
Old 4th June 2019, 16:58   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
BOTH sides AGAIN ---

Not likely. My guess would be they didn't get changed last time they were supposed to be sorted out.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 18:43   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Could be the hubs weren't clamped tight enough to the lower arm balljoints. Common problem as the official torque figure is barely enough, and over time any movement will wear the hub.

You, or your mechanic need to examine exactly where the play is - easy to do once the wheel is off the ground and the car securely chocked.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 05:27   #6
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Could be the hubs weren't clamped tight enough to the lower arm balljoints. Common problem as the official torque figure is barely enough, and over time any movement will wear the hub.

You, or your mechanic need to examine exactly where the play is - easy to do once the wheel is off the ground and the car securely chocked.
Agreed, also if the bolts were refitted and the shanks had worn, the joint will chatter. In the previous DVSA tester manual, it had expressed that many suspension designs have a "Built In" amount of play. Mercedes Benz Sprinter for example, this rule will apply to generate an advisory for any design with slight play or even wear based on the movement in relation to the diameter of the ball pin itself. Thus, a ball joint can pass with a level of play on any component - Drop links, lower ball joints, track rod ends ETC.
I make no claim to allowing slack / clearly worn out joints getting a pass, but the manual has a section relating to the permissible play.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 09:10   #7
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Thanks all for your thoughts. I did repair the front struts a few months back after a broken coil so quite possible I either did not tighten the pinch bolts or they were already worn, hence I now understand how the ball joints would wear and also how the rear bushes would too. The car failed on the same items at a second MOT centre so I am getting lower arms and rear bushes replaced. Still a fantastically smooth car to drive and great value considering it is now 17 years old.
Loyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 09:16   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Worth checking to see where the play is mate, if the hubs are worn then fitting new lower arms won't cure it.

You may save the cost of buying new arms though.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote