Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2019, 20:21   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Fuel will indeed come from a small number of refineries. What is different is the additives that manufacturers put into their fuel.

I can only say what I have found, on my car (my dad had similar findings). Using 'Go' fuel which is an unmanned fuel station, that sells fuel at supermarket prices (not sure if it is available on the mainland), and the car went fine, started fine, ran fine, and got for my commute around 420 - 430 miles for each tankful.

Started using Maxol (at their unmanned stations), and the car went fine, and started fine, but it felt a little more eager. It was different, nothing I could say was measurable, it just 'felt' different. When I first used it, it was purely to fill up, and not because it was a branded fuel. As it was convenient on my way home, I started to use it each time on my way home. (ironically it used to be the most expensive fuel on my route home, but now as cheap as the Go - plus it is beside an MG dealer). A fill will now get me 440 - 450 miles.

My dad said he noticed using the Maxol, he would get a few more miles out of a tank. But it like mine, was only about 10-15. He didnt notice any improvement on running though, but his is a petrol .

As I said, the different is just how it feels, it just seems more eager, just different, and I cannot even say it is faster or anything like that.

For super unleaded, or super duper diesel, I would suggest you would have to have the car mapped to suit. Or if an older car, the timing would need to be adjusted to take advantage of the extra rons and cetanes. All this 'cleaner burn' advantages may well be true, but I cannot see how it will make the piston throwdown faster within the same stroke whilst the fuel fires and expands into the same space.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 21:03   #12
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

What looks like an unmanned fuel station has recently appeared in our town. It is in fact a charging station for up to 6 electric vehicles and it is equipped to charge a lot faster than plugging in at home. Apparently you can add ~ 180 miles of range in about 20 mins and nearby Newcastle is earmarked for one too. Click
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 21:18   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

That's progress for you - I can add 600 miles range in 2 minutes.

I have always filled up with the cheapest derv I can find and the injectors are original and still working fine.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 21:35   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
That's progress for you - I can add 600 miles range in 2 minutes.

I have always filled up with the cheapest derv I can find and the injectors are original and still working fine.
I can confirm that Big Ron's injectors are among the best I've seen, and like Mike I use the cheapest DERV I can find.

You can kid yourself your car runs better using "premium" branded fuel, but I've tried them all, and it makes not one jot apart from the hit to your wallet, fine if you do 5000 miles a year, not so if you do 40,000 miles a year

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 21:47   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The short answer and the long answer is no it does not. That is all I have ever bought. The only difference is that there are less additives in it. I use Redex in every other tankfull.
Old 6th June 2019, 21:52   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Fuel will indeed come from a small number of refineries. What is different is the additives that manufacturers put into their fuel.

I can only say what I have found, on my car (my dad had similar findings). Using 'Go' fuel which is an unmanned fuel station, that sells fuel at supermarket prices (not sure if it is available on the mainland), and the car went fine, started fine, ran fine, and got for my commute around 420 - 430 miles for each tankful.

Started using Maxol (at their unmanned stations), and the car went fine, and started fine, but it felt a little more eager. It was different, nothing I could say was measurable, it just 'felt' different. When I first used it, it was purely to fill up, and not because it was a branded fuel. As it was convenient on my way home, I started to use it each time on my way home. (ironically it used to be the most expensive fuel on my route home, but now as cheap as the Go - plus it is beside an MG dealer). A fill will now get me 440 - 450 miles.

My dad said he noticed using the Maxol, he would get a few more miles out of a tank. But it like mine, was only about 10-15. He didnt notice any improvement on running though, but his is a petrol .

As I said, the different is just how it feels, it just seems more eager, just different, and I cannot even say it is faster or anything like that.

For super unleaded, or super duper diesel, I would suggest you would have to have the car mapped to suit. Or if an older car, the timing would need to be adjusted to take advantage of the extra rons and cetanes. All this 'cleaner burn' advantages may well be true, but I cannot see how it will make the piston throwdown faster within the same stroke whilst the fuel fires and expands into the same space.
I should add, my B4 and B5.5 Passats felt no different between fuels. Although the Xtype didnt seem to care what fuel was used, but apparently didnt like red (according to the service history at the dealer, there were traces of red usage in the fuel system, along with metallic particles suspected to be coming from the pump).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 23:03   #17
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You can kid yourself your car runs better using "premium" branded fuel
And there are thousands of people that do.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 23:31   #18
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Avoid Highest Percentage of Biodiesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
Reading today that supermarkets will be, "slashing", diesel by 3p by the weekend, there was a claim their diesel is inferior, having additives that clog injectors. .......

It is concerning to read their product may cause problems.

I normally use Asda for my diesel. I'm thinking it may be wise to buy elsewhere.
I've used ASDA wherever possible, because I could rely on good performance. I've been loathe to other diesels because, a few years ago, tanks full of Morrisons and even Shell V-Power coincided with the engine running rough. I was told that these diesels contained a higher percentage of biodiesel than some other brands. I assume that such problems have by now been resolved, but trust is hard to regain.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 00:08   #19
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I generally fill up with sainsburys, and it runs fine. I have used shell and BP in the past, again it runs fine.

However, the last couple of fill ups have been with Esso, and although it runs the same I have noticed it's quieter. Less diesel noise.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 04:17   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I don't believe that any of the fuels would clog up injectors - all fuel sold in the UK meets a minimum specification. Driving variables are far more likely to determine whether a car's injectors clog up over time. Hence Mike Noc's experience highlighted above.

Having said the above, irrespective of who pumps the fuel out of the ground or who refines it, the additives determine differences between fuels sold by different chains. This does mean that the design of each fuel being sold is altered by the additives.

There was a set of tests done by the AA some years ago and it showed that Shell V Power produced around 7% better MPG than many other fuels. This is consistent with my own experience of V Power in a petrol and a diesel car. I prefer to use shell in all my cars and mostly V Power. I also add 75ml of Millers Ecomax to each tankful of diesel. This combination delivers a totally different responsiveness from the CDT than using other fuels without the Millers additive. Let's just say that I have never felt the need for any remaps etc.

Here is the thread from 2013 discussing the AA report. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=163356

Last edited by MSS; 7th June 2019 at 04:23..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote