Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2019, 07:27   #11
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I find cruise control invaluable especially on the longer journeys saves my right leg aching.
As for the subtle adjustments required on our congested roads the steering wheel controls are ok as is just knocking the speed down a tad and waft along in 75 splendor.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:16   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

It's one of the nicest features of the car, unless its a diesel auto you are driving.

I use it all the time, and wouldn't buy a diesel that wasn't at least pre wred for cruise.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:21   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
... given the constantly varying (by small amounts) speed of vehicle around me.
You're quite right about this Maninder, but in light traffic and with judicious anticipation and proper use of motorway lanes, I have found cruise control enhances the feeling of physical relaxation already present in abundance in a Rover 75.

Simon
Old 7th June 2019, 08:28   #14
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Kim has cc but it has not worked for me. The button light comes on but the icon in the ipk doesn't. I've checked the catch behind the clutch pedal and that is in place. I'm waiting till I change her carpet before checking the catch behind the brake pedal.
I constantly hover between too fast and too slow, so a working cc would help me a lot
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:33   #15
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan

Never use it in the UK, but I do spend a lot of time on French motorways where I think its great. I can set and often sit for a couple of hours just wafting along as the roads aren't conjested.
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:35   #16
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Frequently on m'ways but especially useful in outer metropolitan areas where there are lots of cameras, reasonably straight runs with intersection traffic lights and variable/changable speed limits. It's pretty seamless with a KV6 manual, easy to use/adjust in fine increments or 'lumps' (I feel I can almost play tunes with mine) but it's not quite state of the art compared with todays 'smart' car technology but hey who cares. I just hope mine never goes on the blink 'cause I've no idea how to fix it!
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:35   #17
Falcon Flyer
Gets stuck in

R75 CDTi Auto Conn SE Mk1 Saloon

Default I use the cruise control everyday.....

Apart from the obvious long motorway trips, I find the cruise function invaluable when going from A roads, through a village, and back to an A road. The subconscious temptation to creep up the speed shortly after you reach a 30 mph requires great self-control. I set the cruise to 30mph and disengage it once out of the village.

It has saved me from speeding numerous times!
Old 7th June 2019, 08:38   #18
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Use it all the time, drive with the right hand fingers just by the keys. Yes even on a 30 mph road, you can watch the traffic more closely and not worry about whether you might come across a hidden radar gun. Digital MPH readout fitted.

Whats not to like?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:45   #19
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I use cruise a great deal.

But....

The cruise on a 75 is quite basic.

More "modern" ones allow small adjustments in speed, particularly to slow by one or two mph, and to change speed in "blocks" of, say, 5mph up or down.

And the really advanced ones have automatic speed adjustment depending upon traffic conditions.

All still need an alert driver assessing everything around them.

Andy.
Not often I use it, unless the road is clear, but having a modern works car where you can raise or lower the speed of the cruise control, I do wish you could do the same with the MG /Rover. It is useful if you do just want to back off a little bit if you find traffic slowing down a bit.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 09:15   #20
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Despite having CC and many other gadgets on three of our cars, I have never found the desire to use cruise. I have always preferred direct manual control of the accelerator.

On a 610 mile journey to/from North Wales this week, I decided to use CC to ascertain whether it is as useful as many here seem to suggest. I have to say that despite all the driving being on motorways and outside the rush-hour, I found the feature unhelpful given the constantly varying (by small amounts) speed of vehicle around me. In my view it would need radar controlled speed adaptation to be of practical use on UK roads.

How do others fare with CC?

As an aside, I had taken the Corsa (1.2 SXI) and it delivered 56MPG over the 610 miles. This is close to the official MPG figures and slightly better than the 53MG achieved in the CDT on similar journeys under practically the same driving conditions. This highlights the progress made by petrol engines in the last 10 years.

My car has cruise control (which I was desperate for) and speed limiter.

The cruise control I never use for the reasons you highlight, but the speed limiter is used almost constantly. I have total control of where I want to be in the traffic but never have to worry about breaking the law. Love it.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote