Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2019, 12:15   #31
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I used to fit cruise control systems (Econocruise) from the late 70’s and well into the 80’s so my answer is yes I used it all the time on my 75’s

However, as I’ve noted before on CC posts I fitted an extra button mounted higher up and on the reverse side of the steering wheel.
This was wired in parallel to the resume on / off button which in my opinion was mounted way too low resulting in you having to drop your hands down the wheel from the “ normal “ driving position to operate this feature.
With my modified switch you can resume on / off with ease when in traffic.

On another note especially with the diesel if let’s say your memory speed is 70mph and you resume off then drop down below 60mph then resume on. The car goes onto kickdown (automatic only of course) then takes off like a bat out of hell with engine screaming till it reaches set speed of 70mph.
I raised this issue with MG Rover as I considered it to be a bit unsafe for this to happen.
Any cruise system I fitted, in the same situation the car would just accelerate at a normal rate back to memory speed.
In another way if using the throttle manually you wouldn’t press it so hard at 60mph to go back up to 70mph

I’m sure MG Rover must have had this cruise control function linked in with Sports Mode which to answer Dorchester 2 in 17 years ownership I would be lucky if I used Sports Mode on a handful of occasions.

Moving to Jaguar then Mercedes I miss not having that single button to use resume on / off as in both marques you have to use two buttons, one to go off cruise with another to go back on.

Manufacturers take note ! And follow a lead from Rover.

BTW I still have some two buttons left from Econocruise stock if anyone wants to do the mod featured on My two 75’s post.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 12:31   #32
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I use it the other car all the time, especially on the M1. Didn't like the speed limiter, turned it off as soon as I figured out how to.

The other half likes neither, doesn't feel in control or comfortable with it.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 12:38   #33
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I use cruise of my 75 a lot of the time on all roads from 30 mph limit to National speed limit, built up areas to A roads and motorways. I find it a great assistance removing the need to constantly check the speedo. I never feel 'not in control' as a tap on the disengage button or the slightest touch on brake or clutch pedal disengages it. When I drive my 260 or MGF I miss it.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 14:26   #34
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I don't have it on my 1.8 of course but use it all the time in the lorries, which are also speed-limited to around 55mph too as you probably know. Many companies such as FedEx, like you to use the function whenever possible as there is a fuel-saving to be had there. The latest models have 'intelligent' cruise which l didn't think l'd like but l actually get on with it quite well. The Merc's have a display which shows speed & distance of the vehicle in front & will hold you a set distance back until you overide it which can be useful but also a pain when you have to get to Liverpool & back in a night as all the little delays add up & l sometimes forget the system is holding me back.
I wish l did have cruise on my 75 though.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 15:01   #35
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
On another note especially with the diesel if let’s say your memory speed is 70mph and you resume off then drop down below 60mph then resume on. The car goes onto kickdown (automatic only of course) then takes off like a bat out of hell with engine screaming till it reaches set speed of 70mph.
I raised this issue with MG Rover as I considered it to be a bit unsafe for this to happen.
Any cruise system I fitted, in the same situation the car would just accelerate at a normal rate back to memory speed.
In another way if using the throttle manually you wouldn’t press it so hard at 60mph to go back up to 70mph.

Yes compared to the manual diesels the auto boxes are a bit frantic.

I'm with you - they set them up incorrectly, and should have gone for a much smoother resume function.

I use cruise often. It helps to keep to the speed limits and can make for a more relaxing drive - in the manual cars anyway.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 16:54   #36
badrover
Gets stuck in

75 club se tourer,75 cdt tourer connie se, 75 dealer launch

I really like the cc on my diesel auto. I use use it a fair amount of the time. I also have a skoda superb with radar cruise so it will slow, accelerate and stop in line with the traffic ahead. It's a brilliant system but still there's zero excuse for not being alert. My only issue was that after having got used to the skoda, I have to force myself to remember that the 75 won't slow/stop like the skoda does!
1974 p6 2200 auto
1999 800 vitesse hatch
2001 club se cdt tourer
2004 club se tourer 1.8t auto
2017 skoda superb estate
badrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 18:38   #37
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I use mine a lot on the long, quiet Norfolk roads but I can see that in busier areas, it may not be practicable. On long runs, it seems to give me better fuel economy too ( I hate to admit that a machine can drive better than me though!).
Old 7th June 2019, 18:47   #38
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I use mine a lot on the long, quiet Norfolk roads but I can see that in busier areas, it may not be practicable. On long runs, it seems to give me better fuel economy too ( I hate to admit that a machine can drive better than me though!).

I fully agree Mike!
I was doing exactly the same reflection, noticing the slightly better mpg improvement compared to my driving without.
Both feet quiet & only hands on the wheel: so relaxing!
That's all that our 75 are about: luxury, quietness & sensual delight, as wrote the French poet Charles Baudelaire ("Luxe, calme & volupté")...
Cheers!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:01   #39
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerhavesome View Post
Never use it in the UK, but I do spend a lot of time on French motorways where I think its great. I can set and often sit for a couple of hours just wafting along as the roads aren't conjested.
Agree with that, caravan towing for 100s of miles a day on the French motorways its a bit of a blessing. Heading there at the end of this month and travelling from Cherbourg right down to the south west coast. Gonna be a big journey, hopefully pleasurable.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:38   #40
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
Basic did you say?
Not really, because you can adjust your speed by 1mph increments by tapping the SET+ switch, as I'm told in Owner's handbook p. 113.

BTW I'm actually delighted to have it in my 75 Connie Cowley built. Traveling to Brittany & back, I used & abused it. Very relaxing IMHO.
Indeed nobody can use it the traffic being too intensive.

But I'd one very puzzling question to submit to all of you clever chaps!
Why does the owner's handbook say p. 112 that "Using 'sport' mode on automatic gearbox vehicles is not recommended with cruise control selected"?

I did it several times and I found it very handy with my auto box, especially when driving on motorways with lots of uphill.
When you're going uphill on very slopy motorways like in the center of France (Massif Central) if you're driving in 'Eco' mode it's very hard to keep your speed up to the top because the revs are keeping too low. On the contrary in 'Sport' mode the box is automatically downgrading as you know all so that the revs are going up easily allowing the car to keep its pace.
Hence putting at the same time the CC you get the best of the two worlds and I didn't notice that worsen the mpg.
So what?

Thanks buds for your kind suggestions.
Would the advice about not to use in sport mode be to do with sudden acceleration while in that mode?