Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2019, 21:33   #81
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It's very apparent that there are no extenuating circumstances and no misunderstanding. She was a psychiatric nurse and fully aware of the power of suggestion. I believe, like others have done before her, she used her supposed skills to deliberately attempt to provoke a reaction that she would otherwise been unable to draw out. Unfortunately, as others with malice in mind have found, she failed.

Thinking she could say what she liked and rely on a defence of hiding behind a petty excuse she thought she could plead innocence by being funny. There seems no doubt she, as usual, was putting her training to use. I just hope those idiots who can't tell when they are being stupid don't fall for it.
Old 13th June 2019, 22:00   #82
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
It's very apparent that there are no extenuating circumstances and no misunderstanding. She was a psychiatric nurse and fully aware of the power of suggestion. I believe, like others have done before her, she used her supposed skills to deliberately attempt to provoke a reaction that she would otherwise been unable to draw out. Unfortunately, as others with malice in mind have found, she failed.

Thinking she could say what she liked and rely on a defence of hiding behind a petty excuse she thought she could plead innocence by being funny. There seems no doubt she, as usual, was putting her training to use. I just hope those idiots who can't tell when they are being stupid don't fall for it.
was this not on a comedy show with an audience of middle classed so called intellectuals? Supposedly people who have the intelligence and aptitude to understand satire, cynicism and peaceful demonstration?

I am only asking as I said before, I havent been able to hear the comment nor the show.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 22:08   #83
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
was this not on a comedy show with an audience of middle classed so called intellectuals? Supposedly people who have the intelligence and aptitude to understand satire, cynicism and peaceful demonstration?

I am only asking as I said before, I havent been able to hear the comment nor the show.
You must look at the bigger picture Alan, sadly we don't live in a world of everything being sunshine and flowers.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 22:21   #84
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Well it wasn't my son, who lives in Berlin and has gone on many (peaceful) anti-Fascist marches. He's also taken out German citizenship because he saw clearer than I that the referendum would mean leaving and turning our backs on Europe.
Respectfully I have to disagree with the referendum opinion.

Leaving the EU does not mean turning our backs on Europe, since we don't need to have a union in order to have solidarity, friendship and good solid trade deals with the member states - it just means we won't have to ask permission from Brussels first.
Old 13th June 2019, 22:26   #85
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
You must look at the bigger picture Alan, sadly we don't live in a world of everything being sunshine and flowers.
Hi Wes, I worked at the same hospital Jo Brand trained in. I had the same training she had, except I had more training in general nursing and obstetrics. With my insights, I think she was foolish in saying what she said about the battery acid. But she must be pooping herself, worrying if anything comes from what the police can find. She might get away with it. But she would be well versed in the games people play and how to take her comments to the edge. Her humour in that moment, some will admire, but others will make political capital from. Despite what she said to the Sky news reporter about free speech today, it's something she will not say again 'live'. Just my opinion.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 22:30   #86
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
It is not about the bigger picture! It is about a small specific audience of a radio show. It is about a comedian known for sarcasm, likely saying something to express HER own exasperation at how ridiculous todays politicians and maybe even society have become. Now blown out of proportion, into a worldwide audience, where someone will now throw acid into the face of a politician, and blame a comedienne 'wot told him/her to do it' then expect a skiing holiday because he/she had a bad childhood as well.

The only way there will be a bigger picture is if someone does it because they were told to by her! At that point it has nothing to do with her! It has everything to do with the tosspot nutter who threw it!

How many times has she spoken of 'attacking' a husband or lover if he did something to irritate her, during a humourous monologue on a show (eg QI or Have I Got News for You etc)? Is that condoning domestic violence???

I despair if people genuinely believe her to be inciting violence of this kind!

Perhaps I imagine her saying it the way I have always watched her on TV, naive, perhaps, or just despairing of the society we are now living in, where I cannot even comment on how pretty a lady's dress is without being accused of something untoward!

When I first saw the Danny Baker picture mentioned earlier, I immediately thought exactly as he did when he explained why he did it - another animal to add to the performing zoo of the Royal Family. But then I am not racist (but I can see how unwise it was to post it!), nor and more importantly, I have not experienced any serious or concerning form or racism (does that make me naive?). Equally I havent experienced any form of an acid attack either, but have had a drink or two thrown over me (and an egg once) .

Last edited by clf; 13th June 2019 at 22:33..
Old 14th June 2019, 04:57   #87
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

The context is so different it's hard to identify it in such terms as 'inciting violence'. We need to be careful when using some terms that we don't water them down or its something that may be regretted. Not in this particular issue but in a wider sense. It should be reserved for those, I believe, related to terrorism.

I haven't heard the clip but I've read the text as printed from the link I put on. She seems to say immediately after, that she's only joking and no one should carry out what she said.

I'm not sure what fallout you're thinking of. The only thing I've seen is a call for her to be sacked, but she's not employed by the BBC. You mean the police? If I had to bet they'll probably 'speak' to her.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 05:57   #88
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I have never had anything thrown over me - so maybe we come from differing behaviour standards where you see nothing wrong in upsetting people to that degree?

Not an accusation- but an observation based on what you have written.

As for both the DB and the JB debacles - I have to say that given the reality of both situations (MM being of mixed race, Horrific, life changing acid attacks by thugs mugging people for mobile phones, The killing of Jo Cox) - how anyone can be so naive to think that publishing what they did or advocating the use of thrown acid against a politician constitutes “humour”.

Only someone divorced from the real world, living in a bubble of sycophants and psychotic wishful thinkers could possibly believe it acceptable.
On all counts, well said.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 09:17   #89
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It is not about the bigger picture! It is about a small specific audience of a radio show. It is about a comedian known for sarcasm, likely saying something to express HER own exasperation at how ridiculous todays politicians and maybe even society have become.
What! just because she doesn't hold the same views, so she thinks its ok to use violence to express her dissatisfaction by commenting on public radio (that is not sarcasm).

Brand continued her comment by saying ''I’m not going to do it, it’s purely a fantasy''.

Obviously Brand wouldn't do such a thing, but its the words and the thought behind what she said. Her remarks are far more serious than a simply joke Alan, fantasizing about throwing acid over a person, especially with the spate of recent attacks has left many sickened and horrified.

No one should use violence against another person just because they hold different views than them, throwing any type of object or substance at someone is a violent act.

Theresa May has said ''politicians should be able to go about their work and campaign without harassment, intimidation or abuse''.

Jo Brands remarks, and with the BBC allowing such content to be broadcast is in fact normalising violence, its certainly nothing to joke about. These walkabouts politicians do have a serious safety aspect to them, even Trumps state visit brought out the hate mob, so you can see how dangerous such remarks can impact the safety of a person.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 09:21   #90
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

I am not condoning nor agreeing with actions. One drink and the egg were not meant for me, but one drink, from an ex. For me turning up to a bar with a lady friend , misunderstanding that she was with me. But my point was that these were violent acts , Using non lethal materials to make a point, as in the milkshake attacks. They are wrong, but the methods employed are obviously intentional and it was to those that incited the hatred (and even violence) in the first place were attacked.

To be even suggesting that a comedian on a comedy show, that has a tiny middle classed audience (and even with a disclaimer!!??) was inciting violence is a sad reflection on how sad and dependant our society has become.

What happened to making ones own mind up, self control? What you are doing is comparing her to radicalised preachers of hate. Context!!

Yes John, it does look like you are slipping into the snowflake beliefs.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk