Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2019, 08:52   #11
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

There is no such thing as Road Tax anymore, hasn’t been since 2001. The rules on untaxed vehicles changed too over the years. Cars must either have paid VED or a SORN notice, irrespective of how long the car was planned to be off the road.
They’re the rules, don’t agree with it but hey.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 09:11   #12
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
you must declare a SORN for the Rover when the VED expires but you don't have to insure it until you're ready to take it back on the road.
The requirement for insurance is similar to vehicle licensing - unless exempt, a motor vehicle must be insured (wherever it is). A SORN is one of the exemptions - s.144A & 144B, Road Traffic Act 1988.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 09:20   #13
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

The sorn or insurance is fair enough, too many chances who like to drive around without insurance.

The ved could easily be changed to a daily rate for refund, insurance companies manage it.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 09:28   #14
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

There hasn't been "Road Tax" for many many years- the clue was in the name "Vehicle Excise Licence" its a tax. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 09:46   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I don't see why I should insure my vehicle if insurance runs out on the 1st and tax at end of month. I appreciate you cant buy tax without insurance but as I wont be driving the vehicle I don't see the issue.

A bit like sorn, has sorn been a way to fine people that don't sorn and don't use vehicle? With ANPR is it needed? The chances of getting stopped using an untaxed or sorned vehicle on the road are the same I suspect?

Perhaps the MOT and Tax should now come under one roof as people often drive with no mot. My neighbour both last year and this and a chap down the road last year, both for months. Not enough traffic officers and so no mot may not even result in a tug, shame.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 10:57   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I feel that most of you chaps make this too complicated for yourselves.

VED is a tax associated with the privilege of owning or using a vehicle that may use a public highway at some time during the period in question. If a vehicle is VED'd, it is a reasonable assumption that it will occupy a public highway at some time and therefore has a risk to third parties associated with this possibility. Whether you actually drive the vehicle is a red herring in that this act would require additional insurance covering the specific driver in addition to the insurance providing cover for the car. If you are not intending to keep a car on a public highway, or drive it, then why not declare SORN as this reflects its correct status and your intention.

A vehicle on a public highway has a risk profile in relation to other highway users irrespective of whether it is occupied by a driver or not and whether being driven or not.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 11:27   #17
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
As mentioned the law treats insurance in the same way as tax these days - a vehicle either has to be insured or on SORN.
Which is to the benefit of all of us. Uninsured drivers are a scourge we need deal with.

Road tax is crazy - it should be placed on fuel. LPG is fuel taxed at half of diesel- so the pollution based system is there.

The debacle of RFL being based solely on CO2 has given us diesels on our urban streets whose particulates are far more toxic than CO2 ever was or ever will be.

The monumental legislative c0ck up that lead to this could be easily dealt with if the RFL was replaced by a further fuel duty that could be targeted against the more polluting fuel.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 11:31   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I feel that most of you chaps make this too complicated for yourselves.

VED is a tax associated with the privilege of owning or using a vehicle that may use a public highway at some time during the period in question. If a vehicle is VED'd, it is a reasonable assumption that it will occupy a public highway at some time and therefore has a risk to third parties associated with this possibility. Whether you actually drive the vehicle is a red herring in that this act would require additional insurance covering the specific driver in addition to the insurance providing cover for the car. If you are not intending to keep a car on a public highway, or drive it, then why not declare SORN as this reflects its correct status and your intention.

A vehicle on a public highway has a risk profile in relation to other highway users irrespective of whether it is occupied by a driver or not and whether being driven or not.

what is the point of sorn apart from telling dvla its not on the road ?

police will know it has no tax sorn or not via ANPR.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 12:16   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I am one of those who believe the VED should be added to fuel duty (even though we already pay tax(es!!!) on that. I understand that the cost of goods will go up, and haulage firms will have to pay more (but also be able to claim back a lot more too). But the roads are ultimately paid by the government (via various councils and road services etc). So even if the VED added to fuel even had an additional 5 pence per litre added to maintain infrastructure, then it would make it a fairer system, that almost every one who uses a vehicle will pay towards the use and damage. I say almost, as I envisage bilking will increase, pay first will become commonplace and eliminate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
There is no such thing as Road Tax anymore, hasn’t been since 2001. The rules on untaxed vehicles changed too over the years. Cars must either have paid VED or a SORN notice, irrespective of how long the car was planned to be off the road.
They’re the rules, don’t agree with it but hey.
Road Fund Licence was abolished in 1937

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 12:25   #20
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
what is the point of sorn apart from telling dvla its not on the road ?

police will know it has no tax sorn or not via ANPR.

macafee2
But it has to be picked up on an ANPR camera, this way it's fully on the road or off.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote