Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2019, 19:18   #41
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It becomes a problem for those living around you if you have three vehicles but parking space for only one. This is a widespread problem in cities leading to antisocial behaviour.

In terms of proposed solutions, I have many that address the short-term and others addressing the long-term. These range from exponentially increasing taxes for multi-car households without private parking spaces to licence to have more than one child per household.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
you made a blanket statement which I hope you can now see is inappropriate. I park both my cars and my bike on the drive or in the garage but even if i parked them on the road, your solution to limit to 1 child is too late, I have two. How does increasing tax help my children engage in sport particularly if I am on minimum wage.

With more and more households having a car per person they have greater freedom to travel. Out of town and in some areas Public transport is not yet at the stage where the car is not a viable option.

I don't know the solution but I would like to see if it is feasible, for those living and working in the same town or city to viably use public transport instead of a car. Thousands of people travel into town by public transport.

macafee2

You can only have one vehicle registered to your name.

For multiple children, you will have to 'buy' a 'child pass' from a person who will not use theirs (I will sell mine lol). If that person subsequently decides to have a child, then they will have to buy another's child pass. 'Accidents' will always happen, but these people will still have to buy a child pass, or give up for adoption for someone to use their 'child pass' when they may not have the opportunity. (I know that is a little naive, but the details could be worked out by someone who cared for I dont really lol. I actually block in those who take up two spaces, for one car outside my house - though if two cars are there, well that is just my loss)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 20:08   #42
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
......... and then add more cost to the collection system? Adding it onto the fuel would add nothing to the collection. The fuel way, will reduce the collection costs.

I can see the potential small increase in car ownership (as mss fears), because the payment of VED although DD has reduced that 'hardship' a little. At least (for the majority) the owners will have to pay as they use.

If it was agreed that any increase would be used to offset the VED and maybe a little extra to pay for the infrastructure. The haulage (and us) firms ultimately, if implemented correctly would actually start to benefit, as roads would be better repaired, possibly replaced, leading to less wear and tear and hopefully faster (maybe too hopeful) roads.
I agree it would make sense, I'm just saying I know and understand why governments don't bother to change it. Both me and the missus would be better off we only do about 10k between us.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 20:10   #43
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
on the fuel MAKES it payable based on mileage, without additional cost on the public purse for collection. As for electric cars, have their charging units separately metered, which is charged, by the electric company, in the same way fuel is charged, ie a proportion is for the electric, and the rest is the tax.
I wonder how many ways people would come up with to charge their cars off the cheap electric?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 20:17   #44
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
I am of the opposite view. Taxes are dynamic mechanisms that react in response to changes in people behaviour, improvements in knowledge, natural changes etc. and also to drive change. There is no point in limiting the number of tax mechanisms as this will limit the ability to differentiate between target populations for taxing and effecting change.

By all means, put additional tax on fuels to improve funding of chosen programmes, including public transport, but in my view VED on vehicles is an absolute must as a way of containing the problems caused by multi-car ownership per household.
It hasn't worked for me, I'm currently paying over £1700 per year, and make no mistake I get my money's worth

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 20:27   #45
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I wonder how many ways people would come up with to charge their cars off the cheap electric?
Probably the same ways they do at the minute for domestic and commercial electric........ In saying that, there is probably a way of creating some kind of resistor/sensor in the car, so that it communicates to the electric point. Or perhaps using a pay as you go meter for those areas where you cannot have your own charge point.

I would still suggest it would be no more than those who bilk, avoid paying ved, MOT or insurance.

Old 16th June 2019, 21:27   #46
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It hasn't worked for me, I'm currently paying over £1700 per year, and make no mistake I get my money's worth

Brian

Brian - that's because my proposals have not yet become mainstream policy. When the revolution comes, people like yourself will be remortgaging the house just to pay their VED!

There are places where car ownership has been curtailed by high taxes e.g. Singapore. Yearly car tax there is roughly equivalent to the price of a medium size car here.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 22:10   #47
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Brian - that's because my proposals have not yet become mainstream policy. When the revolution comes, people like yourself will be remortgaging the house just to pay their VED!

There are places where car ownership has been curtailed by high taxes e.g. Singapore. Yearly car tax there is roughly equivalent to the price of a medium size car here.
you mean to say people other than you will own homes? I always thought we would be paying rent to you......

Old 17th June 2019, 07:41   #48
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

My daughter ( who lives with me) hasn't even passed her test yet, but has a car, taxed and parked in the driveway. She hasn't insured it yet as she's waiting to get her full license. I drive the car occasionally under an insurance clause on my insurance that says (sic): " the insured may drive another car not belonging to them and not hired to them".

So, its taxed, and insured ( under my insurance ) but won't appear on the MID.

I did ring my insurers to check this and they said (sic), you're insured as long as you're driving it. ( So I couldn't park up on the
roadside, and dash into a shop to buy something, whilst I wasn't in it, it'd be un-insured ).

Last edited by hinged_bap; 17th June 2019 at 07:46..
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 07:46   #49
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinged_bap View Post
My daughter ( who lives with me) hasn't even passed her test yet, but has a car, taxed and parked in the driveway. She hasn't insured it yet as she's waiting to get her full license. I drive the car occasionally under an insurance clause on my insurance that says (sic): " the insured may drive another car not belonging to them and not hired to them".

My insurance has the same I can driver another car but the other car is required to have it's own insurance so you may find your breaking the law in doing that. Also as the car has no valid insurance it should be declared SORN.
Old 17th June 2019, 07:58   #50
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinged_bap View Post

I did ring my insurers to check this and they said (sic), you're insured as long as you're driving it. ( So I couldn't park up on the
roadside, and dash into a shop to buy something, whilst I wasn't in it, it'd be un-insured ).
That's interesting ,as my insurers state that the clause allowing me to drive another vehicle 3rd party only is only applicable if the other vehicle is already insured in its own right and that came up on one of the Police documentaries on the TV when a chap was stopped relying on that clause.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote