Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th June 2019, 11:14   #171
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Sorry but hardly ANYONE in the UK motor trade has a clue how to spray a car properly. Biggest bunch of con artists and shady clowns I have EVER experienced are car "body shops".

The average quality of work is probably worse than my mother could do.

Unfortunately if you really want "quality" in the UK you really have to pay though the nose for the best in the business. At least "mechanics" are dealing with big metal parts, when it comes to getting a decent finish with something that requires finesse such as paint, your average paint-monkey is absolutely and utterly inept.

If I ever have another bad finish from a body shop again, I am just going to headbutt the guy and smash his face into the paintwork he was responsible for, as you would rub a dogs nose in its own s***.

Edit, I even see on their page they even left the rear window finisher in! (as well as the rear bumper) At least it certainly looks like it. If that is the case, no-one should use AM Restorations in Plymouth, what a bunch of absolute cretins.

53hrs labour @ say £60 an hour = £3180 plus paint and materials....so more like either just under £4k, or ~£4.5k, Shocking.
You are entitled to your opinion, but it was my decision to go with this company. I have complained about the poor workmanship on the parts I have already outlined hence why the car is going back to them again.

The previous paint shop, who came with high recommendations, also failed to carry out the necessary work required. I also complained at the time. The outcome was far from satisfactory. It was never fully resolved as it was an insurance job.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 12:16   #172
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I’m not sure T16 is ready to admire the work done!
I hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 21:36   #173
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Default Resprays...

Bob's just helped me out on a freebie so seems wierd to be posting here as well, but I've just had Zed's front end resprayed by a garage I've used forever, and it's stunning. Apparently the paint (HQM) is a complete and utter nightmare....two different paints, three coats required and the lacquer plus a polish. So...the propreitor hates me (well just a bit, known each other decades) but since he does F1/3 cars he gets paint RIGHT

I'd say I was lucky but it was schtoopid me that made it need spraying in the first place! I tried to repair some scratches using nought but a YouTube Apprenticehsip and some eBay Paint.

Oh Dear.

The horror.

So, Banana has had the right approach from the get go, and flippin 'eck she looks amazing! Very jealous
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 21:57   #174
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulonsite View Post
Bob's just helped me out on a freebie so seems wierd to be posting here as well, but I've just had Zed's front end resprayed by a garage I've used forever, and it's stunning. Apparently the paint (HQM) is a complete and utter nightmare....two different paints, three coats required and the lacquer plus a polish. So...the propreitor hates me (well just a bit, known each other decades) but since he does F1/3 cars he gets paint RIGHT

I'd say I was lucky but it was schtoopid me that made it need spraying in the first place! I tried to repair some scratches using nought but a YouTube Apprenticehsip and some eBay Paint.

Oh Dear.

The horror.

So, Banana has had the right approach from the get go, and flippin 'eck she looks amazing! Very jealous
You never know you may get to see her some day.

onen hag oll
Old 20th June 2019, 21:59   #175
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Im not criticising the expenditure or the decision to get her spruced up!

Just the idiots who do not have the skills to a job to what I would call minimum allowable standards.

Its more about time as well as lack of skills in the UK. For instance, I need a scratch repairing in my bonnet on the daily, I will prep the area, fill it with base coat, repeatedly until the scratch is filled, finish off with lacquer, and do a final gentle cut and polish.

All this could end up taking over a week as each layer in the scratch hardens.

Commerical bodyshops just cannot invest this level of time into peoples cars, having said that, neither can I, and if there is a local place that can fill scratches to a decent standard, I will take the gamble with them.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 10:21   #176
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Im not criticising the expenditure or the decision to get her spruced up!

Just the idiots who do not have the skills to a job to what I would call minimum allowable standards.

Its more about time as well as lack of skills in the UK. For instance, I need a scratch repairing in my bonnet on the daily, I will prep the area, fill it with base coat, repeatedly until the scratch is filled, finish off with lacquer, and do a final gentle cut and polish.

All this could end up taking over a week as each layer in the scratch hardens.

Commerical bodyshops just cannot invest this level of time into peoples cars, having said that, neither can I, and if there is a local place that can fill scratches to a decent standard, I will take the gamble with them.
Hope you don't "headbutt the guy" if you are not satisfied.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 08:44   #177
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Spoke to the boss..................

........................................ at AM Restorations this morning after we delivered Banana back. He came out and examined Banana in detail and made notes. And he found blemishes in a few other places that we had missed. He assured me everything would be rectified. However he did say that the car should had not been released with undercoat showing or dust in the paint.

Allen had offered to follow me up this morning so to give me a lift back. So Banana led and Ratty followed. Lovely sunny morning and with the sun glinting off of the paintwork we convoyed to the garage.
They will phone when ole Yella is ready.

We have a mini tour coming up beginning in July. Be one of the rare trips Banana makes up country for awhile.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 25th June 2019 at 08:45.. Reason: Lost letters found
Old 25th June 2019, 09:15   #178
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I know the firm you mean Bob round 'ere in the smoke. I looked at a Ferrari they had painted orange peel grey. Suffice to say they won't get my business!

May I suggest another pair of eyes to come with you when you collect? Best of you get someone who does not "feel" the cars as we do, but has a critical eye. I've done it for friends when viewing cars. I look coldly at them, pointing out all the flaws discreetly to my friends. Just so they are aware of why they are getting. This way you can reject it again (hopefully not) until they get it right for you

We get too invested in the car we want, so you get rose tinted specs. Also we are too British and will accept faults quietly and seeth later. I don't expect you to be T16. Good knows we only need one of him! I know it had happened to me. I bought a car with filler in the door. Never noticed it until I had a bump and the chunk of filler feel out!
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 18:12   #179
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
I know the firm you mean Bob round 'ere in the smoke. I looked at a Ferrari they had painted orange peel grey. Suffice to say they won't get my business!

May I suggest another pair of eyes to come with you when you collect? Best of you get someone who does not "feel" the cars as we do, but has a critical eye. I've done it for friends when viewing cars. I look coldly at them, pointing out all the flaws discreetly to my friends. Just so they are aware of why they are getting. This way you can reject it again (hopefully not) until they get it right for you

We get too invested in the car we want, so you get rose tinted specs. Also we are too British and will accept faults quietly and seeth later. I don't expect you to be T16. Good knows we only need one of him! I know it had happened to me. I bought a car with filler in the door. Never noticed it until I had a bump and the chunk of filler feel out!
Taking a negative pair of eye with me is not that easy asI’m new to this area and have not made many new friends yet. Plus the good friends I have are all 75 or ZT owners and they all know how special Banana is to me.

So when the garage phoned to say Banana was ready I hit upon the person who I would ask to look her over. He owns his own cab firm here is Saltash. I phoned him to book a cab. When he arrived I steered the conversation around to asking him to give Banana a look over. He said he would but had no idea what he was looking for, my reply was just look for any faults that you would look for in your own car.

We pulled up and ole Yella was still sitting in the paint booth, in front of her was a Jaguar XJR in bits and behind that was the absolutely stunning Jaguar 3.8 saloon in fire engine red. They started the 3.8 up and oh! my! What a beautiful sound. A lovely purring cat. With that reversed out they had to push the XJR out of the way. I explained to the boss Andy what the cab driver was going to do. No problem he said, we have nothing to hide. So with Banana now parked out in the sun with her boot, bonnet and doors ope. The cab driver had a look.

I followed him round and studied the areas I knew about. No undercoat showing, no overspray, no dust in the paint all was looking good. Then the cab driver noticed something and brought to our attention. Right on the edge of the bonnet was a splatter of bird poo, just been deposited as well. With that cleaned off we agreed she looked really good. The mirror case had been stripped and resprayed. The rear spoiler was looking better, also been resprayed. Evenly matched everywhere.

The receptionist wanted to charge me for the repair to the mirror housing, as that had been my fault, but the boss waived the cost as a sign of goodwill. Lovely jubbly.
I paid the cab driver off plus a tip, 3.30 at Kempton (old joke from old me).
And with that I drove ole Yella home.
Got the thumbs up from a lady driving a ZR. Then the thumbs up from a motorcyclist on the A38.

Now parked up with Rhubarb in the road. I’ll move the Bear out of the parking space tomorrow and put Banana back into that space. I won’t cover her up yet, I’ll wait till it rains and see if the rear window leaks or the side trims.

onen hag oll
Old 26th June 2019, 18:43   #180
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
…….... Right on the edge of the bonnet was a splatter of bird poo, just been deposited as well. ……...
Isn't that just typical .

So glad Banana is being sorted. It sounds like the bodyshop is quite happy to work with you to get the right result, so all in all a good choice on your part.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is online now   Reply With Quote