Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2016, 20:44   #1
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Default Advice on how to proceed with damage caused to bumper

Left my car in the hospital car park this afternoon and when I returned some kind soul had scraped the rear bumper, removing the paint down to the plastic.
Luckily, when I asked the hospital security they had a clear video of a landrover hitting my car, they can read the number plate and are willing to supply me with a copy of the video.
I don't want to go through my insurance, knowing what they're like they'd probably right it off
How would you proceed in finding out the owner of the landrover and then obtaining payment for damage caused.

Below is a picture of the damaged caused:

[IMG][/IMG]

Steve
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 20:46   #2
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Oh dear.
You'll need to pass his details to the police for them to trace.
No need to claim if the offender pays for repairs.
Old 12th July 2016, 20:47   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You will have to involve the police, it could be classed as technically leaving the scene of an accident!
Old 12th July 2016, 21:52   #4
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

It's quite possible that the Land Rover driver didn't realise what they had done, a graze like that from something likely weighing a couple of tonnes would probably go unnoticed.

Hence, a call from the Police to the other driver might just have him on the phone offering to pay for repairs (hopefully )

Very similar thing happened to my Firefrost ZTT about 10 years ago, other chap was very apologetic and paid in full for a new rear bumper
Old 12th July 2016, 22:01   #5
Oldun
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer con se

I think you will find that the police wont be bothered. I suffered a crash for cash and the local police said let my insurance deal with it as long as there was no personal injury.
Claim on your insurance. Let them write it off. Buy it back as a scrapper and have the bumper repaired. There are body shops which specalise in this type of damage.
Oldun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 22:12   #6
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldun View Post
I think you will find that the police wont be bothered. I suffered a crash for cash and the local police said let my insurance deal with it as long as there was no personal injury.
Claim on your insurance. Let them write it off. Buy it back as a scrapper and have the bumper repaired. There are body shops which specalise in this type of damage.
Report it to the insurance, tell them you have the tape. Their legal team will sort all the rest out. Difficulty is it happened in a car park. Does the tpe show the driver acknoledgin the impact? If it does then the police are likely to take more interest.

Reporting to your insurance isn't the same as making a claim...do you have legal assistance included on your policy or with your bank account? They should be able to advise you of the best course of action.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 22:33   #7
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about the incident it is very annoying. To answer your question though you can fill a form ( from the DVLA - sorry I don;t know which one it is but either ring them to ask or someone on here might know ) with the Registration number of the vehicle that hit you and send it off to the DVLA and hopefully they will give the name and address of the person - you have to give a reason for the request and £5 .

Ian
CLINTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 10:06   #8
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

That is repairable. I'd try the police first, and see how you go with the other party. Why have your car listed as a Cat D with all the subsequent issues when it comes to selling, or god forbid, another bump.

The Road Traffic Act does cover private car parks and if you have CCTV footage then even better. The driver is leaving the scene of a collision.
Old 13th July 2016, 10:28   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

As an aside, I do believe that it is the "squareness" of our cars which catch others out when reversing or entering car park spaces. Most modern cars are rounded off at the corners and folks are not used to the squareness of the Rover. As they wind on the steering to manoeuvre in or out of the space, their bumpers catch ours. I hate to park in car parks because of this and if I have to sit in the car (as when waiting for "her" to finish shopping) just watching poor parkers winds me up!
Mike
Old 13th July 2016, 11:21   #10
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
As an aside, I do believe that it is the "squareness" of our cars which catch others out when reversing or entering car park spaces. Most modern cars are rounded off at the corners and folks are not used to the squareness of the Rover. As they wind on the steering to manoeuvre in or out of the space, their bumpers catch ours. I hate to park in car parks because of this and if I have to sit in the car (as when waiting for "her" to finish shopping) just watching poor parkers winds me up!
Mike
Square or Round every body should be able to park a car without taking lumps out of some one elses car

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote