Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th March 2017, 08:19   #1
John3:16
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Default 75 V6 Connoisseur Auto Petrol GUG705963GM or Locate 574?

"Adoption papers" arrived through the post today from DVLA for the latest addition to our family "Ginnie", a nice but tired example, 2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto Petrol.

She'll be a long term project for us and we hope to use her to pull a caravan later in the year when we plan to tour around the North of England and Southern Scotland (before passports are introduced!).

First thing I need to sort out are the oil leaks. She seems to have a slight weep on the rocker cover which isn't a major worry and may have been caused by the previous owner spilling some oil when topping her up? Underneath she has:...

a.dreadful leak around the engine sump (I'll know later when I get the oil cleaner/degreaser and jet wash her ... too much oil to be caused by the slight amount of oil near the rocker cover)

b. possible leak from the oil cooler

c. there seems to be oil leaking from automatic gearbox.

After a deep engine clean and addressing the almost certain leaking oil sump ...my questions folks are ...

a. is there a "Noddy" guide on the forum for taking off the sump and applying sealant?

b. what is the best sealant to use? The recommened sump sealant is GUG 705963GM ... I've seen on the Forum Loctite 574 been recommended for the rocker gasket ... is this also suitable for the sump? How much sealant am I going to need for the engine sump and the rocker cover? Would 50ml (at around £10) be sufficient?

Any other pointers or advice on what to look for on Ginnie I'd be grateful (such as where to buy a good quality and quite exhaust because the one that's on her is fine until around 50/55mph and then it just starts humming and it rattles your brain).

Cheers

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!
John3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 12:08   #2
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

Re your exhaust question there is a view on the forum that Stainless Steel is the way to go . Longlife have been mentioned but they are franchises and can vary in terms of service.
Another option I have seen on the forum is Tenneco-Walker (UK) and their customer service centre is in Birmingham Tel 0121-609-3047 . Exhausts are produced to OE spec and have a 3yr warranty and I believe sold through Motor Factors.They are manufactured from multi-layer steel rather than plain mild steel

https://www.longlife.co.uk/dealer

Clinte
CLINTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 14:42   #3
John3:16
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTE View Post
Re your exhaust question there is a view on the forum that Stainless Steel is the way to go . Longlife have been mentioned but they are franchises and can vary in terms of service.

https://www.longlife.co.uk/dealer

Clinte
Thanks for the pointer ... they have a base in 'ull next door to our "little" village. It's only a stone's throw from the Rover breakers yard which I'll be visiting shortly so I'II pop in and see what prices they have.

Neill

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!
John3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote