Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th November 2018, 08:01   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Anyone used or know about this insurance?

Have you used or do you know about :-

Before The Event insurance

or

After The Event insurance

I understand that After The Event insurance is once something has happened and you intend to sue, you can take out an insurance to cover both sides legal costs in the event you lose your case.
The insurance will only be given if the insurance company think you have a more then 50% chance of winning your case.

if you have sued or know about these types of insurance what can you tell me about them?

thank you in advance

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 12:18   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Have you used or do you know about :-

Before The Event insurance

or

After The Event insurance

I understand that After The Event insurance is once something has happened and you intend to sue, you can take out an insurance to cover both sides legal costs in the event you lose your case.
The insurance will only be given if the insurance company think you have a more then 50% chance of winning your case.

if you have sued or know about these types of insurance what can you tell me about them?

thank you in advance

macafee2

Ian - Even before the event insurance will only cover legal action if the probability of a win is greater than 50%.

I suspect "After the Event" insurance will only be obtainable where the probability of a win is closer to 100% and it will be very costly.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 12:44   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Ian - Even before the event insurance will only cover legal action if the probability of a win is greater than 50%.

I suspect "After the Event" insurance will only be obtainable where the probability of a win is closer to 100% and it will be very costly.
alas yes but may be cheaper then paying 2 sets of legal fees if you lose the case. Not sure if I'll take this to court, I'm trying to avoid it but I either put up or deal. Looking for a cheaper solution

macafee2
Old 8th November 2018, 12:49   #4
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

Have you got Legal Protection on your house insurance? And if so does it cover your problem ( don't need the answer ) . Again the more than 50% chance of winning would apply.
CLINTE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 13:22   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

My experience of this type of insurance is that “after the event insurance” is of two broadly similar types both of which are designed to pay your opponents costs

The first is just that - you decide to litigate and accept that you will have costs but wish to insure against having to pay your opponents costs regardless of you winning or losing.

The second is where you go for a “no win no fee” arrangement with a firm of legal bods and they should advise you to consider an insurance policy that will cover you if you lose as whilst THEY will not charge you under a no win no fee arrangement, they cannot guarantee that if you lose, the other sides costs may be awarded against you.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 14:57   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

thanks.
really not sure what to do, pursue a court case or role over.
issue is damage to grass verge, person has been asked to stop but they wont.
it's just grass... well it was its now mud sprinkled with fine bits of brick. its just grass... no its my property.

ho hum what to do

macafee2
Old 8th November 2018, 15:09   #7
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Nice big "decorative" rocks along the outside of the verge, perhaps?
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 17:21   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Nice big "decorative" rocks along the outside of the verge, perhaps?
That’s what I would do. Really big stuff works well.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 18:08   #9
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
thanks.
really not sure what to do, pursue a court case or role over.
issue is damage to grass verge, person has been asked to stop but they wont.
it's just grass... well it was its now mud sprinkled with fine bits of brick. its just grass... no its my property.

ho hum what to do

macafee2

Is the grass verge included within your property boundary as shown on the deeds?

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2018, 20:59   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Is the grass verge included within your property boundary as shown on the deeds?
I don't quite understand the question but it is not within my fence area but it is in the deeds as my land. It is not disputed who owns the land.
my fence was moved back I think from original location to provide access to a property that was being created on land that was part of "my" garden years ago.
A badly worded conveyance that would probably be ok with level headed people is not fit when dealing with someone that has Aspergers. it prohibits any parking by anyone on this land, my land.
It is not what I would describe as neighbourly and neighbour has been contravening it for over 35 years, the son sent me a solicitors letter as 1/4 to 1/3 of my car was over hanging this land, my land. In between me getting the letter to replying there were 5 instances where visitors to neighbour parked 100% on my land contravening conveyance.

perhaps you can see why i'm not happy. they have continued to contravene the conveyance. my wife has tried to talk to the owner, here's a twist. owner of next door, my wifes mother
her mum does not want to come to a neighbourly agreement to allow parking and so her guests now have to park on her drive or down the road

The land now consists of a tarmac road and grass verge on both sides.
The conveyance gives access rights all the time over all the land. solicitor says law has changed over time and courts have said where there is a clearly defined road it is unreasonable to deviate from it except in extreme circumstances such as road blocked. Alas my problem is the person, BIL, with aspergers is going by conveyance and as it says access with motor vehicle he is driving on the grass verge and has turned it to mud. we have asked him not to, mediator has asked him not to, solicitor has now told him not to but last night was jaw dropping. police then spoke to him and tonight he has not driven on grass but who knows tomorrow.

As for the mother in law, she does not care what her son does.
Darcydog has had experience of him.

my wife was pushed to the ground, my garden wall knocked over, salt put on the grass, my sons car hit and he verbally abused.
Shouting and swearing I can take but to my wife and son, they are out of bounds and damage is a no no.

sorry I turned this into a rant

macafee2