Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th March 2019, 20:52   #1
racing green rover
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Looking at buying a V6 Contemporary SE tomorrow

Hi I'm looking at buying a 2005 V6 contemporary SE tomorrow the seller said there is a problem with the water circulation in that occassionally the temperature guage will go up to the red then when the the car is stopped and restarted the guage will be back in the middle. I know the slow speed fan isn't working but it shouldn't overheat when driving as they will be airflow through the radiator. Also there is a heavy clattering noise when it's started up from cold.
Thanks
racing green rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 21:06   #2
Tim JMGRs
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing green rover View Post
Hi I'm looking at buying a 2005 V6 contemporary SE tomorrow the seller said there is a problem with the water circulation in that occassionally the temperature guage will go up to the red then when the the car is stopped and restarted the guage will be back in the middle. I know the slow speed fan isn't working but it shouldn't overheat when driving as they will be airflow through the radiator. Also there is a heavy clattering noise when it's started up from cold.
Thanks

Tread carefully! The V6 does not like getting too hot! They can be susceptable to air locks and sometimes blocked oil coolers.
I have a perfect 05 44k mile 2.5se in Leigh with no issues whatsoever for sale if you would like to compare!
Tim JMGRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 21:12   #3
racing green rover
Avid contributor

MG ZT

This one is for sale for 399 with the issues I suppose a mint one will be worth a lot more
Old 15th March 2019, 22:11   #4
Tim JMGRs
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
This one is for sale for 399 with the issues I suppose a mint one will be worth a lot more

Wow! That is cheap! Let me know if you don't have it!!
Old 15th March 2019, 22:28   #5
racing green rover
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Thumbs up

I'll let you know tomorrow
Old 16th March 2019, 08:38   #6
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

My new addition was bought under much the same circumstances - low price & overheating. A bit of a gamble but paid off: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=290531

Bleed the system, fix the low speed fault - resistor(?) and you’ll probably end up with a decent car for little money.

Also had a clatter when cold but the car hadn’t run for six months, got better once in use. Almost gone now after doing a long overdue service including the gauze filters - co-incidence perhaps but I like to think there was some benefit to all that work.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 09:37   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... the seller said there is a problem with the water circulation in that occassionally the temperature guage will go up to the red then when the the car is stopped and restarted the guage will be back in the middle.
Hi Pete,

That sounds as if the cooling system has been drained and not refilled/bled according to MG Rover's procedure. The non-functioning radiator fan slow speed won't help.
Quote:
Also there is a heavy clattering noise when it's started up from cold.
This is more worrying, particularly as you describe the clattering as 'heavy' and only noticeable from a cold start. Consequently you may well have a failing tensioner (or idler pulley) on either the ancillary belt run or the front timing belt. To access either is a lot of work but this will need urgent attention.

Simon
Old 16th March 2019, 11:10   #8
Tim JMGRs
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Fix the fan first, obviously! Overheating could just as easily be a blocked oil cooler on the V6, I've seen it a few times.
Clattering could be the inlet manifold.
Still a cheap car if it's in reasonable nick!
If you need any parts, I'm in Leigh!
Tim
Old 16th March 2019, 22:47   #9
racing green rover
Avid contributor

MG ZT

I bought the car all didn't go well on the trip home my friend was driving it and as soon as he stopped the guage went to red engine overheating message came on car cut out so not have no money for aa to come and recover it we started it after 20 minute we kept on stopping every 10 minute there is hissing from the expansion tank and the fan is on high speed the water looks dirty we had the digital temperature on the test drive and it was running around 100-104 degrees before I bought it.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:07   #10
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Mine was much the same, ok at tickover and even driving (very) slowly through town but the moment I put any stress on the engine the temperature shot up (this was with a working fan and minus 12c).

Fix the low speed fan (resistor?) and bleed according to the instructions on this forum and the running temp should hopefully return to a more normal 94 ish.

My story ended well, hope yours does too.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote