Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2019, 13:18   #1
Saxyem
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Default Problem starting and driving uphill!

Hi, a problem started yesterday in that I turned the engine over for quite some time before it started, when it did it was really slow to pick up the revs, today took considerably longer and again, it was almost like only on low revs, after a minute or so it went up ok, so I left and about half a mile away is a steep hill, I only managed to get half way up before cut out, i turned it over again and it eventually started with low revs again and then eventually picked up.

It is not so bad when the front is lower than the rear! Also, over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my gauge shows 3/4 and after some 80 miles is on the red, it is up and down like a yoyo, it is like, you put in £50 worth of fuel and the needle sticks in that position, or at least this is what it seems, it goes down when i switch off the ignition but goes back to where it was...

Please does anyone have any clues as to what on earth is going on :/
Saxyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 14:33   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

You have the symptoms of injector leak back - if one of your fuel injectors is faulty this will lead to hard to start and cutting out going up hill - any strain on the engine exacerbates a faulty injector. Suggest you do the injector leak back test - you can get test kits online.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 15:06   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Could be a problem with the plumbing in the fuel tank - one of the level floats may be touching pipes that aren't in their correct position, giving false level readings, and if the engine is down on power and refusing to rev freely in neutral then it could be low fuel pressure on the LP side caused by leaking pipes at the in tank pump, or a split pipe in the tank.

Can you hear your ITP running? Does the car drive as it should if you fill the fuel tank up?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 18:40   #4
Saxyem
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Could be a problem with the plumbing in the fuel tank - one of the level floats may be touching pipes that aren't in their correct position, giving false level readings, and if the engine is down on power and refusing to rev freely in neutral then it could be low fuel pressure on the LP side caused by leaking pipes at the in tank pump, or a split pipe in the tank.

Can you hear your ITP running? Does the car drive as it should if you fill the fuel tank up?
I'm not sure to be honest, would i hear it if i opened up the boot? it has been running ok, maybe a small amount of lumpiness on tickover, it had been accelerating ok before all of this. I put £50 a few days ago and do not seem to have got my regular mpg, having said that, if i go and turn the ignition on now, it may be reading half a tank again.
Old 13th May 2019, 19:03   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

A quick way to check if the ITP is running or not is to remove the fuel filler cap, and with key to position II you should hear a faint hum with your ear next to the filler pipe for 30 seconds to a minute.
Old 13th May 2019, 20:17   #6
Saxyem
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
A quick way to check if the ITP is running or not is to remove the fuel filler cap, and with key to position II you should hear a faint hum with your ear next to the filler pipe for 30 seconds to a minute.
Ok, i'm not hearing a hum, more like a fish tank bubbling away like utter crazy?!! Also as I said, i put the key in the ignition and showing nearly half a tank, when I came home it was on the red :/
Old 13th May 2019, 21:06   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Maybe buzz is a better word than hum, but not a bubbling fish tank.

Might be worth checking the pipe connections in the offside module of the tank.

If you lift the rear seat base, unscrew the cover underneath on the offside, then unscrew the module lock ring you can lift the module out, inspect the pipes, and see if anything is touching the float arm.