Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2019, 12:32   #51
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Why would you make an engine, only to have to ship it half way around the world to install it in the car? That is pure British Leyland management. No commercial sense.

A bit like flying politicians across the globe for a climate change conference then.
Old 6th June 2019, 15:51   #52
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
A bit like flying politicians across the globe for a climate change conference then.
That should read, a bit like having politicians at a climate change conference

It doesn't matter where lol they shouldn't be at them.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 6th June 2019, 16:15   #53
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

What's the betting Magna Carta was written by Disney.
Old 8th June 2019, 12:48   #54
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

It’s probably always best to take official figures with a substantial fistful of salt. Most of my working life has been governed by the phrase ‘Past performance is no guarantee of future growth’ and it’s very true.

I’ve always tried to get a balanced view and then modify according to the sources from which the information comes. In the case of the OP figure, so long ago now it tends to fade, it was unemployment falling to 3.8%, the lowest for generations. Some doubt was expressed as to the validity of that figure and to a general rejection of the facts as presented.

Given the figures were all issued by the Treasury with the approval of the Bank of England, and received no argument that I could find from the ‘business community’, you then think about the historic (well, the last three years anyway) opinions of the individuals involved.

Those individuals were Chancellor of the Exchequer Hammond, Bank of England manager Carney and any number of grade A establishment figures. It is therefore only possible to assume that the figure is the worst projection possible, even if true.

Every one of those sources have consistently offered as black a picture as could remotely be credited and with widespread doubt about their interpretation. Therefore to accept the figures at face value is doing them a favour and a rather large one at that.

For the supporters of the ‘side’ that produced the figures to charge them with overstating the good news is a bit shot-in-foot with unerring aim. I’d say the figures are entirely credible. At the very least.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:59   #55
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Oh dear, those gnomes working in the bowels of the Ministry for Lies, Untruths and Funny Handshakes are at it again.

New figures are now on the wires showing that unemployment is now down by 1.3 million to 3.3 million in the 3 months up to April. Taken together with average earnings rising by 3.3%, it’s most odd considering the forensic interest in any government statistics. They really are brave in their efforts to kid us all that we are strong.
Old 11th June 2019, 17:23   #56
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

It depends on whether it’s a bad day for good news or a good day for bad news. Or, depending on the effect you were trying to spin to a gullible electorate, it takes 60,000 women to do ...er, no, I can’t even think it. But I’ve no doubt some of them would.

Celia gave up work when our first daughter was about to delight us with her presence. I say gave up work but we both found out it had only just started.

I took a second job to cover the income drop. I was lowly then and could get away with it from a physical point of view. She then looked forward to her state pension on the back of my contributions. Unfortunately, as she is three years older than me, hers did not become payable until she reached 68. After 11 years it still rankles. There is nothing guaranteed about pensions, it’s a small worm on the hook with many barbs and can be cast on the waters at any election. A pocks on all their houses.

Edit: my darling was in the room when I was writing so I had to judge her seeing distance and moderate the type size at the critical point.

Last edited by wraymond; 11th June 2019 at 17:26..
Old 28th June 2019, 12:57   #57
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Very interesting but sadly I don't have the information to comment on this. I shall stay within my boundaries of experience and knowledge.
Old 28th June 2019, 17:25   #58
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Thread closed at request of OP
Closed Thread