Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2019, 15:33   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default U.K. gives China £87,000 “Aid” for Fracking.

Not sure if I should laugh or shake my head in despair when I read this.

Still wonder if someone is having a laugh - but apparently not.

So here we are faffing about with severe regulations for our own Shale Gas extraction and yet UK taxpayers money via our Overseas Aid budget is being used to help China’s Fracking development.

According to The Independent, circa £2M from the Prosperity Fund has been given to Brazil, Mexico and India for this.

Amazing....
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 15:39   #2
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I am too presume some one in the know is getting back handers for all of the is.

Sceptic??
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 16:38   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
I am too presume some one in the know is getting back handers for all of the is.

Sceptic??
Odds on favourite I would think!
Old 28th May 2019, 16:51   #4
bluebird
Passed Away

Trophy Blue ZT T

I despair.....
Old 28th May 2019, 17:02   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

As with most of our overseas aid budget, this appears to be targeted as a catalyst for exporting UK expertise i.e. to create and win a business opportunities for UK companies.

I don't believe there is much aid money spent for non-business reasons these days. I would call it money being used to create the conditions for potential exports.

Here is the original article that highlighted this particular item.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8637601.html
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 17:14   #6
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Look its not really any of your business what goes into my numbered Swiss bank account, or from whom it comes. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 19:10   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

it is just a thought, but could this be a payout to a british company perhaps carrying out the work in China, maybe because they cannot conduct their business and research in the UK? Or for research into how to carry out the fracking along with monitoring the damage caused?

Both reasons are still morally wrong but it could be a 'workaround' for the research and development of fracking.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 21:20   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
it is just a thought, but could this be a payout to a british company perhaps carrying out the work in China, maybe because they cannot conduct their business and research in the UK? Or for research into how to carry out the fracking along with monitoring the damage caused?

Both reasons are still morally wrong but it could be a 'workaround' for the research and development of fracking.
Surely the question should be “why is U.K. taxpayer £’s being used to fund this?”

Given China’s complete disregard for patent law and Intellectual Property rights I would find it difficult to believe that such actions would be sensible for any right thinking person.

But ...... - thinking about it - we are not talking about “right thinking people” here - we are talking politicians - so I suspect this is the most likely explanation.
Old 28th May 2019, 21:40   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Surely the question should be “why is U.K. taxpayer £’s being used to fund this?”

Given China’s complete disregard for patent law and Intellectual Property rights I would find it difficult to believe that such actions would be sensible for any right thinking person.

But ...... - thinking about it - we are not talking about “right thinking people” here - we are talking politicians - so I suspect this is the most likely explanation.
indeed, but if (just if) a British company, because of laws, regulations and protests, cannot mine shale gas in the UK, they could be subsidised to do it elsewhere in the name of research and development (to make it safer and feasible to undertake on the UK - they tried and abandoned here in my home town - MORE - it was abandoned if I recall as nothing of interest was found).

In the grand scheme of things, 100k Euro is not really a lot (I know it is, but it is the price of say a Range Rover), and for that I have to wonder why? or what is the reason behind it. It seems like someone is dipping their toe into something before committing to more.

I dont know what the reference to China's disregard for patent law and intellectual property rights have to do with anything though. Copyright infringement etc has been going on for years now, getting bounced out of the courts (Chinese). The Huawei 5G issues would be a more immediate concern. But even then I think still think that is irrelevant, and is more likely a way of being able to develop the expertise for fracking without incurring the wrath of 'locals' and damaging the countryside in the UK, with officials there turning a blind eye to negative impacts of it.

As I said, it is just a thought, especially with such a relatively small amount involved.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 06:18   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
indeed, but if (just if) a British company, because of laws, regulations and protests, cannot mine shale gas in the UK, they could be subsidised to do it elsewhere in the name of research and development (to make it safer and feasible to undertake on the UK - they tried and abandoned here in my home town - MORE - it was abandoned if I recall as nothing of interest was found).

In the grand scheme of things, 100k Euro is not really a lot (I know it is, but it is the price of say a Range Rover), and for that I have to wonder why? or what is the reason behind it. It seems like someone is dipping their toe into something before committing to more.

I dont know what the reference to China's disregard for patent law and intellectual property rights have to do with anything though. Copyright infringement etc has been going on for years now, getting bounced out of the courts (Chinese). The Huawei 5G issues would be a more immediate concern. But even then I think still think that is irrelevant, and is more likely a way of being able to develop the expertise for fracking without incurring the wrath of 'locals' and damaging the countryside in the UK, with officials there turning a blind eye to negative impacts of it.

As I said, it is just a thought, especially with such a relatively small amount involved.
Interesting points you raise. And if true then the actions become more understandable. I just find it somewhat galling that the Aid Budget has been used.

I think the Anti Fracking brigade have it all wrong. When you look what had happened elsewhere- in the US particularly - the economic benefits are clear. And despite the spin of the “Anti’s” - the environmental impact has not been an issue. The infamous gas in the water was proven to be natural methane release or “will of the wisp” that had been observed for decades before Fracking ever got started.

For me personally - I regularly pass Wytch Farm in Dorset. Which is an early form of Fracking site and it has been productive for many many years. There was a lot of activity when it was being set up - but for decades now it produces oil from the largest onshore oil reserve in Europe and unless you go and look for it - you would never know it was there.

So it may well be that “expertise” is being gained by our helping other countries.

If so - what a crazy devious world the “Anti’s” force upon us.