Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th May 2019, 11:50   #1
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Trouble Starting (CDTI 75)

Afternoon all. 3 weeks ago my cdti refused to start. AA called and couldnt find a fault as mysteriously it started to work jalf way through his diagnostic check. I took it to garage and it worked perfectly.
Basically i have to turn it over (and it does so without struggling) and pray it fires up. sooo...
It's been behaving since however this morning it started playing funny buggers again. Got it going eventually, filled with diesel at garage aaaand playing up again.

The only constant seems to be when its rained for a few days it struggles to start and its don that alot latelly. I cycle to work so its not unusual for the car to sit for 3 or 4 days untouched.
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 12:01   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

have you checked the plenum where the ecu sits for having water in it?
if it were not for the rain I'd not make the suggestion

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 12:23   #3
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
have you checked the plenum where the ecu sits for having water in it?
if it were not for the rain I'd not make the suggestion

macafee2
This being my 1st Rover the plenum chamber keeps cropping up in research. Thing is I havn't a clue what it is, what it does, and no videos that explain how to empty it. So far I've seen people sticking things in a hole??
Old 30th May 2019, 13:30   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well what you need to do is PM me a contact number and I'll pop across and show you how to check the plenum, and I'll bring an ECM with me, just in case

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 13:30   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

The plenum chamber is the space between your engine bay and the wall of the cab -so from the drivers seat it is on your LHS - it contains your ECU . The chamber has drain holes which sometimes clog up causing the chamber to fill with water when there has been heavy/persistent rain. The ECU on a diesel is unsealed and if it gets damp/wet it can cause all sorts of problems with car including starting. You need to remove the LHS scuttle panel to access the chamber and see if the ECU/chamber is wet or evidence of a tide mark . Check that the drain holes are clear with a long screw driver. If ECU is damp worth leaving it in an airing cupboard for a day or 2 to dry it out. There are some good tutorials on You Tube showing how to access the chamber - 3 minute job. Also search the site for Plenum Mod - this allows you to clear the drain holes without removing the scuttle panel.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 13:50   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well what you need to do is PM me a contact number and I'll pop across and show you how to check the plenum, and I'll bring an ECM with me, just in case

Brian
I was going to give a lengthy How To if there is not one in the How To section but Brian has made such a generous offer. It is nice to know there are still nice people out there willing to put themselves out.

Brian, I hope life treats you well

macafee2
Old 30th May 2019, 14:00   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
The plenum chamber is the space between your engine bay and the wall of the cab -so from the drivers seat it is on your LHS - it contains your ECU . The chamber has drain holes which sometimes clog up causing the chamber to fill with water when there has been heavy/persistent rain. The ECU on a diesel is unsealed and if it gets damp/wet it can cause all sorts of problems with car including starting. You need to remove the LHS scuttle panel to access the chamber and see if the ECU/chamber is wet or evidence of a tide mark . Check that the drain holes are clear with a long screw driver. If ECU is damp worth leaving it in an airing cupboard for a day or 2 to dry it out. There are some good tutorials on You Tube showing how to access the chamber - 3 minute job. Also search the site for Plenum Mod - this allows you to clear the drain holes without removing the scuttle panel.
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001775

see item 1 in the link, remove the near side 3 or 4 items marked 7 with a small screw driver lever them up.
if you lose of break them they can be replaced

remove item 3. under item 3 is a plastic cover held in place I think by 1 screw and hooks under item 1 above/ Bit fidly but remove it. underneath is the pollen filter and in a plastic "box" your ECU. Look down may need a torch past the pollen filter, if you see water think yourself lucky to have a Rover 75 and someone like Brian about.

Standing at the front of the car, roughly by the left hand front of the pollen filter is the ECU, the brains of the car. You need a rod 1/4? inch thick and strong so it does not bend. you will need to probe around for the drain hole
which may be in a bit from the corner, once located rod it so it is clear, most of the water if there is any will pour out. There should be a rubber drain tube in the hole, if you push it out replace it. Some members have cut a bit off the end of the tube to help stop it blocking up.

clear or not, do this 2 or 3 times a year particularly after and before summer.

if it is the ECU it is probably the easiest thing to fix... for Brian.

good luck

macafee2
Old 30th May 2019, 14:25   #8
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Whey the AA are here. will start with easy start but soon dies. He cant hear fuel pump running but neither could past AA gadgy. *Sigh* gonna be for sale soon i reckon.
Old 30th May 2019, 14:39   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Whey the AA are here. will start with easy start but soon dies. He cant hear fuel pump running but neither could past AA gadgy. *Sigh* gonna be for sale soon i reckon.
???? Really? Brian made you an incredibly generous offer. You'd rather sell than have a possible easy fix without even getting your hands dirty?

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 14:40   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

We'll of course you could sell it, or you can give Brian your phone number and he will sort it for you.

I know what I would choose, and it doesn't involve an advert.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote