Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2019, 17:25   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Mildew neutralisation

Had to replace the 21W bulb in the O/S light cluster today on the Mk2 Contemporary.
The inner rear wing liner (the one with the sat nav drive cut-out) had some visible white marks on it but after releasing it to get at the bulb I've found a veritable forest of mildew strands everywhere.
What is the best way to permanently remove and neutralise the stuff without wrecking the formed liner - and yes I know, I'll also have to sort out the leaks from the rear screen clips (got Rich's excellent how-to right beside me)
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 18:47   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I use Mr Muscle shower cleaner for any algae/mildew on the car

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 19:21   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Had to replace the 21W bulb in the O/S light cluster today on the Mk2 Contemporary.
The inner rear wing liner (the one with the sat nav drive cut-out) had some visible white marks on it but after releasing it to get at the bulb I've found a veritable forest of mildew strands everywhere.
What is the best way to permanently remove and neutralise the stuff without wrecking the formed liner - and yes I know, I'll also have to sort out the leaks from the rear screen clips (got Rich's excellent how-to right beside me)
Fungus is incredibly invasive - and is quite resistant to standard cleaning unless you can do it time and time again repeatedly over a lengthy time period. It leaves spores that are incredibly resistant to normal cleaning agents.

I would recommend Daktarin aerosol athletes foot spray from Chemists. Generic name is Miconazole and it is a fungicidal agent that should not stain material (or feet or socks!) I have used it on walls where we had mould/mildew and it worked very well the other year on some tomato plants that were hit by mildew.
The plants survived but with a bent stalk - and cropped well.

It was good to save the plants.

It’s only toxic to fungi and some bacteria - and works really well on athletes foot.

Just remember to use it on ALL your shoes as well - spray inside - or else you will just keep re-infecting yourself.

As for mould/mildew on the inner wing liner I thought these were plastic and so are resistant to mould - so makes sure any porous material nearby is cleaned and given a good spray with the Daktarin

There are other good antifungals - Canestan (Clotrimazole) is good but as far as I am aware only Miconazole as Daktarin is available as an aerosol spray.

It’s not that expensive- and could be worth a shot.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote