Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th June 2019, 21:22   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Another one bites the dust

8Ford to close the engine plant at Bridgend in South Wales. Won’t be long now until car production in the Uk, well manufacturing of any kind for that matter, is a thing of the past. When will it end? Honda closing,Vauxhall cutting jobs, JLR, shedding thousands of jobs, Nissan ceasing production of the new Quashquai in the UK. Shipbuilding gone, steel making virtually gone, mining gone,car production? ......going..

Last edited by RPWC; 6th June 2019 at 20:25..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 21:45   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Ford to close the engine plant at Bridgend in South Wales. Won’t be long now until car production in the Uk, well manufacturing of any kind for that matter, is a thing of the past. When will it end? Honda closing,Vauxhall cutting jobs, JLR, shedding thousands of jobs, Nissan ceasing production of the new Quashquai in the UK. Shipbuilding gone, steel making virtually gone, mining gone,car production? ......going..
Most of these will be transferred to EU countries where they have been offered cash incentives to move to ,All part of the Master Plan

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 21:59   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Ford to close the engine plant at Bridgend in South Wales. Won’t be long now until car production in the Uk, well manufacturing of any kind for that matter, is a thing of the past. When will it end? Honda closing,Vauxhall cutting jobs, JLR, shedding thousands of jobs, Nissan ceasing production of the new Quashquai in the UK. Shipbuilding gone, steel making virtually gone, mining gone,car production? ......going..
Is this inside information? (about the Ford plant closure) As I understood it, the meeting(s) to discuss what was going on hadnt happened yet, never mind any announcement of plans. Granted, whilst it doesnt look good (especially with US Ford execs currently in Wales), it is by no means a done deal.

The X-Trail was expected to be scaled back anyway, especially since the change in customer tastes warranted such a move. As I understood it, Nissan did not foresee job losses with redeployment being achievable? I am not sure about the cessation of the Infiniti manufacturing and potential loss of 250 jobs in Sunderland though, when they pull the brand out from Sunderland 'to concentrate on their growth markets'. If I recall they sold less than 6000 Infiniti cars in Europe! When they have plants in their popular markets it makes no sense to build ad export.

As far as ship building goes, perhaps adapting to change? LINK And again it doesnt have the workforce it once had, but it is still maintaining an order book.

As far as Peugeot cutting jobs, that was always going to happen when GM sold up. But you could find that Renault (read as Nissan) could start building their vans here to take over from the Vauxhall vans (platform shared remember from a Trafic).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 06:33   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default BMW & JLLR Collaboration on EV Technologies

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...gy?language=en

This is unexpected.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 06:41   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

The penny finally dropped how good the 75 was with the M47R unit..
Old 6th June 2019, 07:21   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Is this inside information? (about the Ford plant closure) As I understood it, the meeting(s) to discuss what was going on hadnt happened yet, never mind any announcement of plans. Granted, whilst it doesnt look good (especially with US Ford execs currently in Wales), it is by no means a done deal.

The X-Trail was expected to be scaled back anyway, especially since the change in customer tastes warranted such a move. As I understood it, Nissan did not foresee job losses with redeployment being achievable? I am not sure about the cessation of the Infiniti manufacturing and potential loss of 250 jobs in Sunderland though, when they pull the brand out from Sunderland 'to concentrate on their growth markets'. If I recall they sold less than 6000 Infiniti cars in Europe! When they have plants in their popular markets it makes no sense to build ad export.

As far as ship building goes, perhaps adapting to change? LINK And again it doesnt have the workforce it once had, but it is still maintaining an order book.

As far as Peugeot cutting jobs, that was always going to happen when GM sold up. But you could find that Renault (read as Nissan) could start building their vans here to take over from the Vauxhall vans (platform shared remember from a Trafic).
It was just a clip I saw on the news last night, maybe I read too much into it, but from the report it was looking like the plant would close.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:04   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The penny finally dropped how good the 75 was with the M47R unit..

Well, the PSA engines used in Jaguars have been equally good. A 3.0L PSA V6 is actually as good as the Mercedes OM642.

The reason I find this surprising is that BMW and JLR are direct competitors whereas a tie up between PSA and JLR would have been a case of the two companies complementing each other's market position.

Does this cooperation mean that we may see a BMW V8 replacing the Ford manufactured unit in JLR cars?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 16:34   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I read today that Toyota & Subaru have joined forces also to share e-mobility technology to produce BEV's and share the costs.

https://insideevs.com/news/353244/to...-bev-platform/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 20:26   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
8Ford to close the engine plant at Bridgend in South Wales. Won’t be long now until car production in the Uk, well manufacturing of any kind for that matter, is a thing of the past. When will it end? Honda closing,Vauxhall cutting jobs, JLR, shedding thousands of jobs, Nissan ceasing production of the new Quashquai in the UK. Shipbuilding gone, steel making virtually gone, mining gone,car production? ......going..
As per news today, I was right.
Old 7th June 2019, 08:09   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Well, the PSA engines used in Jaguars have been equally good. A 3.0L PSA V6 is actually as good as the Mercedes OM642.

The reason I find this surprising is that BMW and JLR are direct competitors whereas a tie up between PSA and JLR would have been a case of the two companies complementing each other's market position.

Does this cooperation mean that we may see a BMW V8 replacing the Ford manufactured unit in JLR cars?
The BMW 448S2 V8 petrol unit has already been put into Range Rovers.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote