Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th November 2019, 09:49   #1
steady eddie
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer / bmw e90 320d

Default Oil cooler failure.

Hi, I am about to change the oil cooler on one of our 75 Cdti's as it has dumped the coolant into the sump. Just wondering what would be the best way to flush the engine ,I thought maybe change the oil filter and refill with cheap engine oil do a run to get the engine up to normal temperature then drain it down and do another filter and oil change. What are your thought's on this.

Last edited by steady eddie; 16th November 2019 at 14:12..
steady eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 10:26   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I would not forget the turbo oil pipe could be contaminated with the residue of oil/water. I think I would be taking the turbo off and giving the oilway a good flush through. A good many people forget this in a rush to get the job done, and goosed the turbo.
Old 16th November 2019, 13:37   #3
steady eddie
Loves to post

On further investigation I can see coolant seepage between the head and engine block. With the oil cooler off I can see the water way is clear of oil but obviously the oil way is gunged up. I don't know whether to change the oil cooler just in case it is faulty and is the cause of the problem as I can get one for about £60. The car has done 187427 miles its not the tidiest of cars. Just wondered how difficult it would be to do the head gasket and if any special tools are required, it would not be worth paying to have this work done as it would be more than the car is worth.

Last edited by steady eddie; 16th November 2019 at 17:58..
Old 16th November 2019, 14:15   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady eddie View Post
Just wondered how difficult it would be to do the head gasket and if any special tools are required, it would not be worth paying to have this work done as it would be more than the car is worth.
I cannot answer on how difficult/easy the task is, although I cannot see it being difficult, just time consuming. However the last comment. Any half way involved job will cost more than most of our cars are worth. However, say it was £500, what could you buy for £5-600, and how much would it cost in repairs? If you like the car, want to keep it, and plan to use it, then it could be worthwhile spending on it (that is always my rationalisation if I need to do a big job)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 14:50   #5
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I had a similar experience recently, Large amounts of water in the sump. Changed the oil cooler, still the same But as I "Loved" the car and had had it for a long time I sourced a replacement engine from a trader on here and swapped it over. A lot of work but far more economical than buying another car of unknown quality.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 17:45   #6
steady eddie
Loves to post

I agree with what you are saying. But we have two other 75's in the family so if I don't repair it I would use a lot of the parts from this one on the other cars. I might try an oil cooler before I make my mind up. We have had this car just over nine years so it owes us nothing.
Old 17th November 2019, 13:49   #7
steady eddie
Loves to post

Just an update on the problem. I think it is the oil cooler as I have spent a bit of time cleaning out the oil side of the heat exchanger I then warmed it up in a pan of hot water to simulate normal running temperature laid it flat then poured hot water in the oil side the level dropped and water dripped out of the water inlet I kept trickling hot water in and water kept dripping from the water inlet so I am fairly well convinced that the problem is the oil cooler.The only thing now is finding the best way to clean the gundge from the engine, I am open to advice on this.
Ed.