Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd November 2008, 17:17   #1
chrisrc
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 club 1.8 and a spare one too.

Angry Rover 75 rip off (PLEASE READ)

Hi and thanks to all who have tried to help me with my rover. I now need some serious answers from you guys to help me out. i purchased a rover 75 i.8 club year 2000 from ebay on the 17th september of this year, it states in the listing a 1.8, and it had had all the usual things done ie head gasket, head skimmed blah, blah blah.Beautiful car but has an abs problem and the mot runs out in october 2008. Any away i purchased this car and took it for its mot which it failed on the abs and emmissions, the car was taken straight to a garage to be sorted out, after having a new ecu, new fuel rail,new cat and a new reg.they kept for car for 5 weeks and three days and phoned me on saturday to say it was finished. i went down to pickup the car today and they said that the abs was sorted out and that they couldnt do the emmissions and that now a engine managment light was on and they cant clear this. The car is now straight back in another garage trying to be sorted, upon inspection TODAY this car has been found to have a k16 engine in and not a k18 or 1.8 as stated, in have already paid £700 pounds upto yet and its going to cost more but as stated in the ebay listing its listed as a 1.8 in fact its a 1.6 can anyone tell me where i stand legally with this.

thanks chrisrc.
chrisrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:21   #2
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

My first Port of Call would be C.A.B and look at Sale of Goods Act.Good luck .P.
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...page38311.html

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:23   #3
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Are you sure you mean K 1.6? As K16 Usually means K series, 16 Valves. And K8 means K series 8 valve. (Metro)

On what basis did the first garage deem it nescessary to replace an ecu, cat and fuel rail?
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:46   #4
The Jugs
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon club SE manual 2.0 V6

How long was the M.O.T. valid for when you purchased the car. If less than a month the seller may have already taken it for a test, found out what you have and passed it on to you knowingly. Seems odd selling car like this with such short M.O.T. at pressumably reflected price.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:46   #5
chrisrc
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Are you sure you mean K 1.6? As K16 Usually means K series, 16 Valves. And K8 means K series 8 valve. (Metro)

On what basis did the first garage deem it nescessary to replace an ecu, cat and fuel rail?
Hi, i have a reciept which states that the engine is a k16 engine, the garage are supposed to be a rover specilist there t4 wouldnt talk to the ecu so they summised a new ecu would sort out the problem which it did as far as the abs light was concerned, they then tried a new fuel rail and told me the cat was dead and would need replacing, me not being a mechanic took them at face value and agreed to the work.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:49   #6
chrisrc
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jugs View Post
How long was the M.O.T. valid for when you purchased the car. If less than a month the seller may have already taken it for a test, found out what you have and passed it on to you knowingly. Seems odd selling car like this with such short M.O.T. at pressumably reflected price.

I think it had about 5 weeks left on the mot, this guy is selling cars on ebay i checked his feedback , did a vosa check and everything seemed ok.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:50   #7
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrc View Post
Hi, i have a reciept which states that the engine is a k16 engine, the garage are supposed to be a rover specilist there t4 wouldnt talk to the ecu so they summised a new ecu would sort out the problem which it did as far as the abs light was concerned, they then tried a new fuel rail and told me the cat was dead and would need replacing, me not being a mechanic took them at face value and agreed to the work.
Ok, you need to find the engine number on the block to find out the displacent. I would suggest that K 16 means 16 valve.

With the engine management lamp on you may have a fault code that will give you a clue about what the emmisions problem is.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:54   #8
chrisrc
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Ok, you need to find the engine number on the block to find out the displacent. I would suggest that K 16 means 16 valve.

With the engine management lamp on you may have a fault code that will give you a clue about what the emmisions problem is.
Hi once i got the car to the other garage today thats when we discovered it was a k16 engine on the reciept, it doesnt jump out at you as its way down a list of repairs, looking at the engine No and we found it had been ground off.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:56   #9
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Was it a private sale or a dealer on ebay...?
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:57   #10
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrc View Post
Hi and thanks to all who have tried to help me with my rover. I now need some serious answers from you guys to help me out. i purchased a rover 75 i.8 club year 2000 from ebay on the 17th september of this year, it states in the listing a 1.8, and it had had all the usual things done ie head gasket, head skimmed blah, blah blah.Beautiful car but has an abs problem and the mot runs out in october 2008. Any away i purchased this car and took it for its mot which it failed on the abs and emmissions, the car was taken straight to a garage to be sorted out, after having a new ecu, new fuel rail,new cat and a new reg.they kept for car for 5 weeks and three days and phoned me on saturday to say it was finished. i went down to pickup the car today and they said that the abs was sorted out and that they couldnt do the emmissions and that now a engine managment light was on and they cant clear this. The car is now straight back in another garage trying to be sorted, upon inspection TODAY this car has been found to have a k16 engine in and not a k18 or 1.8 as stated, in have already paid £700 pounds upto yet and its going to cost more but as stated in the ebay listing its listed as a 1.8 in fact its a 1.6 can anyone tell me where i stand legally with this.

thanks chrisrc.

Um K16 means K series 16 Valve. In a 75 or ZT that means a 1.8

If you want to find the size of the engine look for the engine number.

If it is a 1.6 it will start 16K

if it is a 1.8 it will start 18K

Are you sure the engine number is ground off? if it is I would be in contact with the Police.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote