Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2015, 21:08   #1
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default New brakes

Fitted new front discs and pads today, turned out it was the original discs I took off.

The front brakes were squealing a little so thought it best to investigate. Apec pads were OK, and while the discs looked good from the outside, the inside of the discs were strangely worn, pitted, scored and had chunks missing.

Looks like the calipers weren't cleaned and greased when the last set of pads were fitted.

Had some new genuine parts to go back on, all is well spent a little time sourcing production line parts too, as good as new.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 06:43   #2
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Wow, didn't think a thread about a Rover 75 would draw so little attention.

Perhaps I should do a thread on how I manage to get food for free, wire up my house to the street lights and run my car on a budget of sixpence.
Old 9th October 2015, 17:41   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Wow, didn't think a thread about a Rover 75 would draw so little attention.

Perhaps I should do a thread on how I manage to get food for free, wire up my house to the street lights and run my car on a budget of sixpence.
Nah, that wouldn't be of any interest, Shawn would have already done it
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 18:04   #4
pln64
Regular poster

rover 75 2.0 v6 saloon

Where did you get the discs and pads from please. I may have to do rear discs , pads and ( hopefully not) calipers. All very rusty and flaky. Haven't really used the var a lot since I purchased it. Hoping to drive round next week with handbrake on a bit and see if I can polish them up a bit. Thanks.
pln64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 19:02   #5
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pln64 View Post
Where did you get the discs and pads from please. I may have to do rear discs , pads and ( hopefully not) calipers. All very rusty and flaky. Haven't really used the var a lot since I purchased it. Hoping to drive round next week with handbrake on a bit and see if I can polish them up a bit. Thanks.
You have to look at Rimmers catalogue for the original part numbers, then search the Internet to see if anyone is stocking them. Good luck
Old 9th October 2015, 19:05   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pln64 View Post
Driving round with the handbrake on won't help. The hand brake is contained within the the inner part of the rear disc and does not operate on the actual disc.
Old 9th October 2015, 19:59   #7
pln64
Regular poster

rover 75 2.0 v6 saloon

Thank you both for the advice. Learning every day. Drove around thirty miles on Wednesday and took rear wheels off to jet wash rear arms etc ,prior to painting and the discs are still very rusty. The car passed its mot six weeks or so ago just before I bought it and rear discs were an advisory. I don't think rear brakes are working to full pressure. When you push brake pedal hard then pump it once the pedal will continue to travel. Looking like an overhaul from my friendly mechanic.
pln64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 20:10   #8
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

New discs and pads can really transform the car, especially if they have been on for a long time or as rich experienced may not have been installed with the future in mind!
I bet it is much nicer to drive now?
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 21:34   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

All set to do a similar job tomorrow. I know my front disks aren't good - although it passed the mot last week! I changed the pads last year and could feel a clear step on the back side of the disk, within the area swept by the pad! Still with new pads on it was fine even before they were properly bedded in. Lately though I've been feeling pulses and sudden drops of the brake pedal so thought it best to bite the bullet and spend the money. So Brembo disks and green stuff pads it is. Let's see if my wheels stay cleaner. (otherwise I've just spent nearly twice the money on pads than I could have.)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 11:57   #10
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Just ordered drilled & grooved disks and pads from MTEC HERE. They came highly recommended to me. I see other members have rated them highly in the past also.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote