Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th October 2018, 05:05   #11
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Glad it worked for you.
But a fill, with subsequent top ups, will always sort things out.
It is a tricky one to fill, for sure, but once you know that, it is just a matter of being observant.
Many "air-locks" are the result of leaks! So be, well - - observant! always!
Old 11th October 2018, 06:42   #12
pieterm
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Thanks Kaiser. I think I've to hell and back with airlocks! Beauty of this simple device is leaks can be noted if the pressure drops. In my case, very stable. The matrix worked out to be OK ... maybe the blockage cleared itself? Not sure but all I care is that it works. Again thanks for all your help previously. Really appreciated.
pieterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 15:37   #13
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

More than welcome, always!
Old 21st October 2018, 21:25   #14
pieterm
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Default I don't believe it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
More than welcome, always!
Just when I thought all was fixed, proven by warm air in the cabin, I get disappointed ... again.

If anyone can work this one out and offer direction ... please

After some days of what appeared to be a working heater, I firstly noted both pipes into the matrix were tepid. No more heat but at least not icy cold

But, this morning, after a 100km trip in a very cold car I noted that the top pipe was warm to hot to touch and the bottom pipe cold That is completely the opposite to what I would expect as normal. (I should add that I haven't replaced the drivers well trim so I can easily check the matrix ... until I'm confident all is good).

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanking you in advance
Old 22nd October 2018, 13:42   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If the heater was working fine, but progressively lost effectiveness, then the cause is lack of coolant flow through the matrix. Logically, a residual air bubble has circulated, probably into the matrix and become lodged there, breaking the flow. So, either the initial refilling left some air in the system, or coolant has leaked out and naturally replaced by air. The first thing the try is a re-bleed/filling excercise.

You should also check for coolant leakage from the thermostat housing into the V between the heads.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 22nd October 2018 at 13:45..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 01:07   #16
pieterm
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If the heater was working fine, but progressively lost effectiveness, then the cause is lack of coolant flow through the matrix. Logically, a residual air bubble has circulated, probably into the matrix and become lodged there, breaking the flow. So, either the initial refilling left some air in the system, or coolant has leaked out and naturally replaced by air. The first thing the try is a re-bleed/filling excercise.

You should also check for coolant leakage from the thermostat housing into the V between the heads.

TC
Thanks for that, T-Cut. What I have noticed is very peculiar as it varies so much. For example, both pipes might be ice cold or they might be luke warm. Rarely does the bottom pipe become too hot to touch but, when it does, the cabin gets filled with nice warm air! But sometimes, after a long run, both pipes will become ice cold after being quite warm a few minutes earlier. This morning I disconnected the top pipe at the junction near the battery. The pipes felt empty and, sure enough, no coolant was to be seen! I gently blew air (from mouth not compressor) down the end of the pipe that goes towards the radiator and it was some time before fluid came back through the system and out of the matrix. One big airlock, I'm thinking. Having topped up again, I now note both pipes are luke warm again so am hoping to see improvement as more air is dissipated. It would be nice to have hot air coming through the system I can't see any leaks anywhere so this whole affair has me beat. I can understand why so many members find it frustrating. I'm at the stage where I would willingly throw money at someone to fix it once and for all. If anyone knows an expert in Melbourne Australia, please let me know. Thanks again, T-Cut ... if the above rings any bells, I'd much appreciate your direction.
Old 24th October 2018, 17:47   #17
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The V6 top-up and bleed procedure is well documented around the forum and is also described in the Haynes manual - an essential buy IMO. That's the first thing to check through. Another approach to difficult air locking is to evacuate the system with a suitable pump. The popular vacuum oil changing pumps are suitable. This HowTo might help if handling vacuum is not your thing: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=41864
TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th October 2018 at 17:53..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 20:32   #18
pieterm
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Thanks TC. Yes, many many posts on this subject. Maybe too many LOL. Many seem to vary in a small way, or maybe it's how they're being described? I do have a vacuum pump (type that fits to compressor) and the Haynes manual. I noted late yesterday that after a while driving, I felt cold air on my feet ... yep, bottom pipe hot (very), top pipe ice cold. Seems the blockage is back! I'll start over again this weekend - remove matrix and give it a good swirl out etc. I did notice some silvery flecks in the coolant some time back so am wondering if a form of stop-leak may have been used in the past, I'll make sure it gets a good flush out this time
Old 5th November 2018, 18:02   #19
disaacs12

Rover 75 Conoisseur

Default Heater cold

Hi, I've had a problem with my V6 75 blowing cold/luke warm. Now i've been a motor mechanic for over 50 years, so I know a bit. I traced the fault on mine to the oil cooler and water pipes going to and coming from the cooler being blocked. I bypassed the cooler and hey presto the heater works perfectly. I think the blockage was causing a back pressure in the return pipe and stopping the flow from the heater. Just to point out that the return pipe from the cooler is teed into the return pipe from the heater. Best of luck.
disaacs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 21:58   #20
pieterm
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

Interesting point and certainly sounds similar. I completely flushed the system and had nice warm air for a while ... but I have noticed that when the heater goes luke warm. squeezing the hose from the top of the matrix a few times causes everything to heat up again. Also, have noticed sometimes passenger side cooler - not always, just sometimes. Will follow your advise to see if anything is blocking but might have to bite the bullet and get a new matrix ... at least I'll know the matrix is not the problem if I still have the same issues At least the airconditioning works well ... something more important for this time of year