Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2019, 14:44   #21
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Living in this small town of mine,i find it difficult to believe that unemployment has gone down. This is because of my observations when i walk up my High street and see so many youngsters walking around with a bottle of beer or sitting outside of the pubs ALL day.????. Unless of course they all work Night shift and don't need any sleep.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:59   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Living in this small town of mine,i find it difficult to believe that unemployment has gone down. This is because of my observations when i walk up my High street and see so many youngsters walking around with a bottle of beer or sitting outside of the pubs ALL day.????. Unless of course they all work Night shift and don't need any sleep.

Perhaps they are employed but working zero-hour contracts?

It's the new way of being employed withought much work being involved.
Old 15th May 2019, 15:40   #23
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post

Maybe I can help. Reliable stats are here: www.livehere.co.uk/statistics-Rhymney. They say: Figures come from Dept. for Work & Pensions.....

"The rate for Rhymney is both higher than the average and higher than the national average suggesting finding a job in the area may be hard...… it does not have a significant immigrant population. Figs are from the latest available source ie Census 2011. Jobseekers Allowance 4.6%, Incapacity Benefits 3.9%, Any Benefits (in work benefits) 21%."

It seems Caerphilly has a disproportionate reliance on in-work benefits and that it may be due to the influence of a devolved government although that would be highly speculative. There is also a very significant difference in age groups for unemployment in the area which also might be speculative. HTH.
Old 15th May 2019, 19:00   #24
jackatesme
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Perhaps they are employed but working zero-hour contracts?

It's the new way of being employed withought much work being involved.
Judging by the amount being drunk,seems like a good job.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
Old 15th May 2019, 20:00   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
CLF.

The best and most accurate measure of comparative growth/prosperity is to compare a country’s performance with others of a similar kind, both legal and political, and proximity that trades under similar conditions. Now, where would we find one like that? Like Europe for instance! Go on, try that!

EU unemployment overall (including UK lowest since you-know-when) as at 1/3/2019 - 7.8% (from 8.6% in 2018). Take UK low figure out of the ‘28’ because it weights the answer and their figure, which is the nearest fair comparison to UK, becomes around 8.5%. Then, you look at youth unemployment on its own in Europe. It is frightening.
I didnt get a chance to respond to this. 'The best and most accurate measure of comparative growth/prosperity'

NO! No it is neither the best nor is it even accurate. The only way you can accurately compare anything, is to accurately measure. Using words like 'similar' and 'proximity' throws accuracy out the window! COMPLETELY!

What you could do accurately to compare growth, would be to take one figure from a country (or anything) then the same sample from another country. As an example count ALL living 30-35 year olds - eligible and ineligible to work, able and not, counting who is in work, and who isnt, on a particular date. The reason for including all, is to eliminate each country's ability to skew figures by how they categorise or sideline numbers. Then each year, use the same method to count. Divide the number of total number of people by the total in work, multiply by 100, and you have a simple, accurate figure that you can compare with anywhere without resorting to similar or approximate situations. This way you/they can measure a like for like growth or fall for that group. Youth unemployment in Europe is frightening yes, but it is just as frightening here, depending on how you care to measure it.

Comparing figures now to 40 years ago is not going to compare anything accurately or even similarly, for reasons which I am not going to repeat. The only reason to make such a pointless comparison, is to try to make a positive spin on something in times of austerity or other critical times (another reason could be to distract the population from other issues - but that is me being even more cynical lol). It is not a bad thing necessarily, but it should be taken with a pinch of salt, especially at election times and not just elections, but it can be anytime someone wants support, be it a politician or a company wanting shareholder support for something, etc.

These types of figures mean nothing, of any practical note anyway. They are bragging rights, that is all.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 15th May 2019, 20:41   #26
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Sadly though current conditions mean it is beneficial to them to seek work abroad, and that leads to the influx of foreign staff coming from other countries (this is not a racist rant by the way - just stating experiences told to me by a few nurses I know). It is a domino effect. Our nurses go elsewhere to get better money and conditions, then they are replaced by nurses from elsewhere who look to get better pay and conditions to what they had.

Incidentally you can equate that to the British car industry in the 70s and 80s.

Greed, a basic human condition. Public (equate to nurses) want a better made car, they find one from Datsun etc - the 70s remember not now (Dubai hospital). Then those that cannot afford a Datsun etc (equate these to hospital administrators, who now work to tighter budgets) , seek a cheaper alternative adequately made car, eg Lada, Skoda etc (these are the foreign nurses - who still do a fantastic job by the way). All this then leads to a decline of locally produced product (nurses) as they are not selling as you can get better value designed but built elsewhere (foreign nurses trained and paid for on foreign soil before coming here).

But this thread is not about any of that, rather about how the positivity of figures presented to the public.

Old 15th May 2019, 20:51   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

It is not just GPs. It was pointless for my father, a telecoms engineer, to work beyond 57, as he reached his maximum pension contribution, and only working on to get a wage 'til his pension kicked in at 60 - he had saved and invested to allow him to retire at 57, though. He didnt work beyond 56 due to medical conditions, though.

I believe this was a genuine but naive attempt by those in charge (in the 60s and 70s), to make life better for the retired and to give the population something to look forward to and believe in.

Apportioning blame though, especially now is both pointless and unproductive. As a nation we need to look forward learning by the mistakes of the past.

Old 16th May 2019, 06:27   #28
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

The current levels of employment are even more impressive if you consider that over the last ten years let’s say the population of the UK has grown by net 500k (give a take a 100k) folks a year, that’s 5mn extra souls squeezed into Englandshire in the last 10 years.

Last edited by Lovel; 16th May 2019 at 06:34..
Old 16th May 2019, 09:46   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

How comparable are these figures to each other and the UK. Add in, the welfare and social care systems within them are different to each other. This is the danger of using other countries to compare. It simply serves no purpose. It serves no purpose even if it was an accurate like for like comparison. What benefit is there to the people to compare the data, aside from keeping a few statisticians and pr people off the data?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 16th May 2019, 13:59   #30
jackatesme
This is my second home

A little Tangent.
Spain 14.45% unemployed. My wife came out with this whilst in Benidorm a few weeks ago. "I haven't seen one Charity Shop."
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
Closed Thread