Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd January 2021, 17:44   #1
hog-man80
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Insurance

My Rover got hit today, by another car, whilst parked. The other driver owned up, but has not supplied all his details as yet.
I asked a local body shop for a ball park price to repair.
He said about £1400, but my worry is if I go through the insurance, will I lose the car, through it not being economical to repair.
I got the impression from the other driver, that he would rather settle, without involving an insurance company.
My car is too good to let go, as it has just been mot'ed, and was in very good condition.
On ebay, similar cars are trending around £1500.
Any advice please?
Paul.
hog-man80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:01   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog-man80 View Post
My Rover got hit today, by another car, whilst parked. The other driver owned up, but has not supplied all his details as yet.
I asked a local body shop for a ball park price to repair.
He said about £1400, but my worry is if I go through the insurance, will I lose the car, through it not being economical to repair.
I got the impression from the other driver, that he would rather settle, without involving an insurance company.
My car is too good to let go, as it has just been mot'ed, and was in very good condition.
On ebay, similar cars are trending around £1500.
Any advice please?
Paul.
It all depends on level of NCB and T&C's. Some companies allow the first fault knock without it financially impinging. My insurance policy allows the first knock and each knock after that a percentage will be deducted from the NCB.

Ask the chappie if he is willing to go £1.4k or whatever. Even though the knock is a "no fault" claim - if you made one, it is well known that insurance companies take your fault/no-fault record into account when setting a policy and quote.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:48   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

A body shop repair of £1400 will almost certainly write your car off. Just make sure that they don’t take your car away if you want to keep it and have it repaired privately.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:37   #4
Xavier
Avid contributor

MG ZT 260 SE

Hi sorry to hear about your bad luck but I would definitely get two quotes minimum and have them detail what is required to fix. Then you can make a decision on whether the car is repairable and or worth going through insurance. I expect the other party will want to go through insurance with that type of costs. When I used to be in the motor trade if you mentioned insurance the cost went up bu5 if you said cash then they would quote accordingly but sometimes I think you need to know when to say enough is enough and only you can say when that is. Good luck
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 21:11   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Bad news, sorry about that

£1,400 is a pretty big knock but costs can rise quickly. Can you post up some pictures? The parts that are adding to the expense may be available second hand and a re-spray is possibly cheaper then repair and re-spray or is it body shell damage?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 06:26   #6
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Last September a driver reversed out of a bay without looking and hit side of my 75 . All on camera wife driving .
The car needed 2 doors.
I spoke to the insurance company of the driver and they said they would be happy to pay out for the repair providing I had it repaired myself . they did say if they took it for repair that it would be written off.
So they paid out and I replaced the doors.
I have owned it 8 years and didn't want it to go just yet.
Maybe if you want to keep it then ask them for a settlement.
It didn't effect my insurance .
Old 27th January 2021, 20:47   #7
hog-man80
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Insurance

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately the other driver, turns out too not have insurance.
So I am now looking for a drivers door, and front wing in gold to repair the damage.
Paul.
hog-man80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 21:20   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

That's really unfortunate, if you could use the fact the guy has no insurance as a lever and get him to bung you 1400 quid fine. Mine was written off, other driver admitted it was their fault and with a little haggling I got £1400 from my insurers and kept the car (we both had the same insurance company funnily enough)
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 08:10   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog-man80 View Post
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately the other driver, turns out too not have insurance.
So I am now looking for a drivers door, and front wing in gold to repair the damage.
Paul.
How annoying. How about taking him to court? Was the car insured but not the driver?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 12:19   #10
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
How annoying. How about taking him to court? Was the car insured but not the driver?

macafee2
Yeah, look at a small claims action. Then send in the Sheriff when they don't pay. Seize their 60" flat-screen and their holiday money. You will find that people will pay for many things which are "really" important but save on the necessities.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote