Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th April 2024, 23:48   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Headlight Petition

Well, well, Well. Much to the chagrin of those who scoffed about the petition about dazzle from car headlights being a waste of time, perhaps you have missed the bus. I am at this moment watching a programme about the very fact that the government are taking steps already about this very subject.
Like I have always said to those non believers of doing anything about any subject they object to, have a little more get up and go.

One type of person that irks my ire, are those who just mumble, ‘ wweeelll, what can you do?’. Well, just get off your backside and do something. Gt Britain is going down the pan because of this type of attitude. Please believe in yourself a bit more people.
Old 8th April 2024, 14:20   #2
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Britain hasn’t been ‘Great’ for a long, long time.
The decline will continue, taking with it any last remnant of Britishness that existed.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 15:44   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what is the program called?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 16:54   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Ian. It was on one of the talk shows last night at 12-10. They were saying that the government is taking notice of the petition on dazzling headlights on cars. They are doing it with Europe, I suppose because most of the cars come from Europe. They are having the same problem with dazzle in Europe as we are. So it is a recognised condition, not something to do with the older brigade doing all the moaning. We shall see what comes of it.From what I have read about it, there are going to be new regulations on a similar system that we already have on our cars, I.e. the headlamp levelling system. If it is, I don’t think it will cure the problem. The lights have to much ‘spray’ on them.
Old 8th April 2024, 18:32   #5
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

In the old days of filament bulbs, there was a build spec specified, quite simply, as 55W. (I think that was the figure). When leds came in, I never saw anywhere a build spec that corelates with leds, has anyone? If you fitted 55w leds in your headlamp, I dread to think how bright they would be; the same rule applies to other lamps , think about a 21w brake light, or more relevant, a 5w sidelight (aka a drl equivalent?).
That is just the power o/p of the bulb, leds have a different beam pattern. How many of us have not spotted flashers being used because we are viewing fromthe wrong angle? The light pattern angle of an led is quite a narrow beam as opposed to a filament bulb.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 10:45   #6
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
In the old days of filament bulbs, there was a build spec specified, quite simply, as 55W. (I think that was the figure). When leds came in, I never saw anywhere a build spec that corelates with leds, has anyone? If you fitted 55w leds in your headlamp, I dread to think how bright they would be; the same rule applies to other lamps , think about a 21w brake light, or more relevant, a 5w sidelight (aka a drl equivalent?).
That is just the power o/p of the bulb, leds have a different beam pattern. How many of us have not spotted flashers being used because we are viewing from the wrong angle? The light pattern angle of an led is quite a narrow beam as opposed to a filament bulb.
You are correct on the 55W for full beam but was formalised as 55w/37.5w (i.e. 37.5w for dipped). Also when we were an independent nation with BS requirements we had a minimum/maximum height for lights. One of the reasons for dazzle today is that SUV's in the majority have lights higher but their projection seems not to have had the angle depressed to compensate for that extra height. Mk.1 Range Rover never gave dazzle issues due to it adhering to UK standards when launched. LED lighting is also giving similar oncoming dazzle results as the the beam is much, much narrower.

I've signed many "open letters" and petitions on this subject over the last 20 years (the original petition emanated in the USA) with no result. It would be nice if the issue is taken more seriously but I'm thinking 'lip service' is more likely.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 11:35   #7
Lagetha
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
The decline will continue, taking with it any last remnant of Britishness that existed.
It is my understanding that Great Britain is the name of the island which contains contiguously the majority of England, Scotland and Wales... It is by far the largest of the British Isles, which despite the name, has nothing to do with nationality or superiority over other nations or peoples.

2000 Rover 75 1.8 Classic SE in Moonstone Green/Black Leather seats and Sandstone Beige Interior (purchased 10 April 2022)
2002 Rover 25 2.0 IL TurboDiesel - gone but not forgotten, you can follow Deric's adventures on YouTube at Boaty's World and Project Nigel. AllegroMan is restoring Deric now. (Owned 25/10/2022-15/05/2023)

Lagetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 12:28   #8
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I doubt there will be any changes soon. If there are through MOT .. there you will wait until MOT time on new vehicles. So years to wait there ! The gov has sat back and let this happen for years , ignorance of the issue .. NO . Probably themselves driving an SUV themselves. If MOT laws change , it will not be backdated to cars produced before this date as they left the factory quite legally. Same rules apply to no seat belts and trafficators etc , they were legal upon the fact that they were produced from new. Recalls .. no , out of the question. I would agree with the above post of " lip service " as being the eventual outcome .
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 18:14   #9
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

One thing that seems to have been overlooked is that the old H4 type lamps had the filament aligned in the direction of the car and gave off virtually no light forward and were placed at the focal point of the reflector so all the light was formed into a beam and could be aimed correctly. LED's give off light from a flat chip that is often placed at the back of a suposed reflector but most of the light just goes out forwards (especially DRL's) the only chance of any controlled beam is to put the LED chip in the focal point of a reflector facing rearwards or to use a projector stlye lens system.

Having said that, as others have pointed out, putting them on vans and SUVs at eye level to oncoming cars will make any beam patern irrelevant.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 20:50   #10
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Sad but how very true.