Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2012, 01:30   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Smile airbags fixed!

My airbag light has gone out at last.

Steps taken to fix it

1. T4 read identified that the airbag ECU indicated all airbag faults and would not clear them. Therefore ECU was broken.
2. I removed the carpet and found the left hand airbag sensor under the seat was coroded whilst the right hand one looked like new.
3. Got a new ECU with same part number from a scrap yard and a new LH sensor.
4. With the battery disconnected I inspected all the airbag connectors and re-connected each one carefully.
5. Airbag light still on after this stage.
6. T4 session to program up the new ECU to the car. Once the T4 can read the undamaged ECU and further faults can be pinpointed, but in my case there were none and the airbag system was fixed from then on.

Conclusion:

When the plennum chamber floods water gets into the car through the pollen filter and floods the passenger side of the interior. The shape of the floor plan pressing channels this water right past the passenger side airbag sensor. The airbag sensor has tiny holes in its front face, water gets in and it blows taking the airbag ECU with it.

Questions:

Does this mean the airbag wires are set to detect open circuit, closed circuit but when both are earthed blow up both a sensor and ECU? Maybe airbag wires frayed against the metal seat frame do the same thing.
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote