Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th May 2015, 00:52   #31
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

If you read the bulletin header it says which cars the water shredder was accidentally omitted from
THE RJ numbers shown are the Vin number range all diesels on either side of this range of vins have a water shredder fitted in one form or another.

Some cars within the specified vin range will have had the water shredder added as per the bulletin.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 7th May 2015 at 00:57..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 05:06   #32
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
RodgerD, I don't agree with you mate, if in 4+ years of driving and the car being used practically every day,it is still drives perfect, in fact it is still quicker and more responsive than mine and mine has the 160 remap and a new MAF. So as Harry says they must both have the shredder fitted and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Thanks.
Regards DaDragon
Do you really think MGR would go to the trouble of fitting this component to all the cars and then when they realised some cars weren't fitted with them, probably as a result of warranty failures of the MAF, they would then issue a notification to fit this component at their expense, if there was no good reason.

My guess is the shedder is there to stop rain being flung off the fan by centrifuge force and being ingested into the air intake system, and not just from the ram effect of the vehicle's forward motion. I would say IMO there will be less water ingestation the further away from the slam panel the air intake is, as there will only have the misting effect of water that has passed through the radiator which will be sucked into the engine as the under-bonnet air is hoovered up.

The aim must be to eliminate all water entering the induction system as it has been proven it causes premature failure of the MAF.

Last edited by RodgerD; 7th May 2015 at 05:24..
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 06:20   #33
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
Do you really think MGR would go to the trouble of fitting this component to all the cars and then when they realised some cars weren't fitted with them, probably as a result of warranty failures of the MAF, they would then issue a notification to fit this component at their expense, if there was no good reason.

My guess is the shedder is there to stop rain being flung off the fan by centrifuge force and being ingested into the air intake system, and not just from the ram effect of the vehicle's forward motion. I would say IMO there will be less water ingestation the further away from the slam panel the air intake is, as there will only have the misting effect of water that has passed through the radiator which will be sucked into the engine as the under-bonnet air is hoovered up.

The aim must be to eliminate all water entering the induction system as it has been proven it causes premature failure of the MAF.
RodgerD, What are you talking about fella?. You must have mis-read my post. I am not devaluing the shredder, it's a must for all diesels!!!. I simply asked if all facelift diesels had this,only BigRuss has answered this. The reason I asked was as my wife's and my car have no bellows (which I said) I was worried that if there was no shredder we could, I repeat could get water coming through the grill. Now I know that we both have this part I need not worry. I am quite happy to have the bellows off our cars as (in my opinion) it does nothing but restrict what little air comes in. As I said the proof of this is how brilliantly my wife's car runs and continues to run after having no bellows on, oh and she has a K&N on for 4+ years. This is apparently another reason for MAFs getting oiled up and ruined. While I can see the argument in this I think it's just that people over oil the filter(which is silly). I inspected my wife's MAF last Autumn when I changed her PCV and it was completely clean and free from contamination. Ok Rodge are we now both on the same page?. In short if you don't have a shredder in, get one fitted. Thanks.
Regards DaDragon
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 06:48   #34
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

A visual inspection of the air flow sensor will tell you that you have one, not that it is clean or working properly.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 06:51   #35
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

rich17865, "A visual inspection of the air flow sensor will tell you that you have one, not that it is clean or working properly." Obviously rich but you can see if it's caked in oil or not.
Regards DaDragon.
Old 7th May 2015, 07:01   #36
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Caked in oil, indeed, but the air flow sensor is a fine hair of platinum, if I remember correctly. The amount of material required to cause it to fail to report accurately is microns. Not visible to the human eye.

I would be interested to see what the readings from your sensor are when plugged into a T4.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 08:44   #37
dadragon
Gets stuck in

rich17865, "I would be interested to see what the readings from your sensor are when plugged into a T4." Me too mate, I will let you know if I ever have a reason to get it hooked up, mine is the one that has had a T4 + re-map from PhilT4 as I was passing his way after buying the car from Portsmouth, bit of a trek from Wilmslow!!!
Regards DaDragon
Old 7th May 2015, 12:23   #38
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
rich17865, "I would be interested to see what the readings from your sensor are when plugged into a T4." Me too mate, I will let you know if I ever have a reason to get it hooked up, mine is the one that has had a T4 + re-map from PhilT4 as I was passing his way after buying the car from Portsmouth, bit of a trek from Wilmslow!!!
Regards DaDragon
You don't actually need a T4. Some while back I/we documented the conversion from T4 to the readings you would get on an normal diagnostic readers figures.

T4 only comes up with values at two two rev ranges. Standard diagnostics shows values all the way through the rev range.

As has been previously said, the MAF wire is an almost invisible filament - you will not be able to see any contamination, it is far too small. The only way is to test its output values at set flow rates.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 22:04   #39
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Not quite true Harry T4'does read across the rev range with the airflow figures but the values at idle and 3,000 revs are the only figures given in any data published to check against as per the bulletin sheet.

You only need a couple of reference points if they're met then all other values at different revs should be within spec

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 8th May 2015 at 01:07..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 09:57   #40
mauzao
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default MG ZT 2002 VIN 273819 shedder included?

Hi there,

I just bought a new MAF and meanwhile read this information, how can i confirm if my car already came with this shedder?
With the VIN number i cannot understand, mine end in 273819 but in the doc says the range is from 27447 to 277737 but after says from 277738 all vehicles had it fitted...
Can i check it without removing the front bumper? it's an MG ZT.

Tks

Pedro
mauzao is offline   Reply With Quote