Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2011, 14:41   #1
harrisongs
Avid contributor

mg zt 120

Default brake fluid top up

Hello
Have a zt 1.8 53 plate. Just giving it a 6 month service. Just looking if in anything needs topping up. Notice brake/clutch fluid is about 10 mil below Max. Discs n pads were replaced 6 months ago does this sound ok? Should I top it up, if so should I use just normal dot 4 fluid. Thanks
harrisongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 14:48   #2
RN3212
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0V6 Auto Moonstone Green

It should be OK to top it up and keep an eye on the level for a while.If the level drops again you'd need to check for leaks.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:32   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisongs View Post
Hello
Have a zt 1.8 53 plate. Just giving it a 6 month service. Just looking if in anything needs topping up. Notice brake/clutch fluid is about 10 mil below Max. Discs n pads were replaced 6 months ago does this sound ok? Should I top it up, if so should I use just normal dot 4 fluid. Thanks
Some might advise just leaving it as is and keeping an eye on it. One suggestion is that the level should be set to max when new pads all round are fitted, then you have a guide to how the pads are wearing by the fluid level. Fit new pads and the level will come back up to the max.

If you keep topping it up as the pads wear, then have to fit new pads, it will then overflow.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:46   #4
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

I agree with HarryM1BYT - that's a very good way of checking pad wear.

Obviously of course you don't let it get too close to the minimum mark.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:54   #5
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

Dont forget to make sure the brake fluid is changed regularly. Its the most forgotten service item on a car. If changed regularly ALL the brake components will outlast the car. Why wait for calipers to seize before doing anything and the cost of repair will far exceed the cost of regualr fluid changes. This does not of courese apply to brake pipe corrosion which can be stopped with a coating of water pump grease. I always grease the brake pipes when I see one. Again a 10 minute job to stop hundreds of pounds in pipe replacing.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 16:43   #6
harrisongs
Avid contributor

mg zt 120

Thanks for the advice, had the car 6 months now and can't find any evidence of a brake fluid change, so will be getting this done on Tuesday.
harrisongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 18:04   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisongs View Post
Thanks for the advice, had the car 6 months now and can't find any evidence of a brake fluid change, so will be getting this done on Tuesday.
The standard replacement schedule for the brake fluid (DOT4) is every 2 years/30K miles, which ever occurs first. This involves flushing out the entire reservoir contents via the caliper bleed valves and replacing with fresh fluid via the reservoir, without allowing any air into the master cylinder. There are various methods of driving the fluid through the system (pedal pumping, external pressure pumping or vacuum pumping). Some say the ABS module must also be purged, but that's outside the scope of DIY servicing and frankly, I doubt many garages are capable either.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 07:42   #8
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The standard replacement schedule for the brake fluid (DOT4) is every 2 years/30K miles, which ever occurs first. This involves flushing out the entire reservoir contents via the caliper bleed valves and replacing with fresh fluid via the reservoir, without allowing any air into the master cylinder. There are various methods of driving the fluid through the system (pedal pumping, external pressure pumping or vacuum pumping). Some say the ABS module must also be purged, but that's outside the scope of DIY servicing and frankly, I doubt many garages are capable either.

TC
I've read a lot about spongy pedals and purging the ABS unit. I dont understand this as I've changed brake fluid dozens of times for getting on for 50 years and never had a problem. Isn't this a case of not topping the reservoir up and getting air in the system or never changing the brake fluid? Just how how does air get in the system if not for these reasons? Little while ago, put all new discs on and all new fluid and no spongy pedal.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote