Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th November 2020, 15:36   #1
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I've done the heater conversion.

As the title says, I've converted a single manual control into a dual zone heater. The job wasn't hard at all but there are some restrictions on who can do it, to achieve the end result you need a manual heater box, a digital box and a spare knob and cable, plus the actuator linkage that opens the flap from a manual one, those are the three things needed to do it.
To do the job, open up both heater boxes and put the parts to each at the side and don't mix them up, after taking off the clips that hold the boxes together don't miss the hidden screw near the fan housing. To start, get the two halves from the manual heater box, put the half flaps into one side, then put the divider plate in the middle and make sure it clips in properly at the top, you can then fit the other half of the box and that part is job done, clip it back together.
The left side linkage will go right back on as it came off, make sure to use the long plastic actuator that came off it. If you've done the mod on the control panel you'll have a spare linkage and cable, this has to be reversed, I warmed up the metal and bent it exactly opposite to what it was, I then drilled out the pin and soldered in a new one. The linkage is almost ready to fit now but you have to put in a dog leg bend as the plastic part is a reversed one from a left side. I drilled a small locating hole in the axle of the flap behind the one at the front, it allows the clip to pop in. That's it, job done and very rewarding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heater Box opened..jpg (129.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Heater Box divider..jpg (90.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Heater Box left side actuator..jpg (119.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Heater Box right side actuator..jpg (117.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg The view from the front..jpg (114.1 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Saga Lout; 25th November 2020 at 15:41..
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2020, 19:07   #2
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
As the title says, I've converted a single manual control into a dual zone heater. The job wasn't hard at all but there are some restrictions on who can do it, to achieve the end result you need a manual heater box, a digital box and a spare knob and cable, plus the actuator linkage that opens the flap from a manual one, those are the three things needed to do it.
To do the job, open up both heater boxes and put the parts to each at the side and don't mix them up, after taking off the clips that hold the boxes together don't miss the hidden screw near the fan housing. To start, get the two halves from the manual heater box, put the half flaps into one side, then put the divider plate in the middle and make sure it clips in properly at the top, you can then fit the other half of the box and that part is job done, clip it back together.
The left side linkage will go right back on as it came off, make sure to use the long plastic actuator that came off it. If you've done the mod on the control panel you'll have a spare linkage and cable, this has to be reversed, I warmed up the metal and bent it exactly opposite to what it was, I then drilled out the pin and soldered in a new one. The linkage is almost ready to fit now but you have to put in a dog leg bend as the plastic part is a reversed one from a left side. I drilled a small locating hole in the axle of the flap behind the one at the front, it allows the clip to pop in. That's it, job done and very rewarding.

Brilliant Mike, I'll be getting the bits together to do my car

I've seen cars in the past with the four knobs from the factory, and wondered why more were not made that way, the knob system is much more tactile than the buttons of the ATC version, and can be adjusted without taking your eyes off the road.

Many thanks for the pictures, they really do paint a thousand words.

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2020, 15:51   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Ya could have just glued the knob in the spare position and pretended...
Old 26th November 2020, 16:11   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default And.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Ya could have just glued the knob in the spare position and pretended...
I fitted all in today and it works as it should, I cleaned out the matrix at the same time and it's been toasty sat in there doing the drivers side soundproofing.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2020, 17:02   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I fitted all in today and it works as it should, I cleaned out the matrix at the same time and it's been toasty sat in there doing the drivers side soundproofing.
That was very inventive of you. Well done.

There are some folk who don't even get round to checking the oil and water in their engines.

10/10 for effort.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote