Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th November 2020, 16:07   #1
Ade01

Rover 75

Default Gavin Fairley

Just like to say a huge thank you to Gavin Fairley who carried out a big list of work on my Rover 75 (KV6) Main job was my car was on its original cam belt, and boy was the tensioner in a mess.

As the vehicle was having the belt changed it was time to make the car great again, so I asked him to replace noisy intake manifold and a oil change in the automatic box and what a huge difference that made, before the car engine felt sluggish and the gear box felt like it was mostly asleep, sadly I became use to it over the years as it’s all a gradual change, however now the engine feels like a 2.5 v6 it moves with a lot less effort, and the gearbox feels buttery smooth.

Gavin comes very highly recommended he has over 20 years experience with MG Rover, he has the tools and knowledge, great communication and good prices, also he uses Genuine MG Rover parts, and he has a MG ZT-T curtesy car, what else could you ask for.

His contact details are,

MG Rover Repair
Oxford Road Service Station (A423)
Ryton
Coventry
CV8 3EA
07968 914612
Ade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 17:03   #2
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Hello Ade,

Quote:
my car was on its original cam belt,

Really? After 21years? Do you know that for fact? We are encouraged to change belts at 6years. That lifespan must be flexible to some extent, but does anyone on here have reliable data on their safe life beyond the six year interval in the service manual?

I'm all agog,

Derek
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 17:26   #3
Ade01

Rover 75

I’m afraid it’s a fact, it was originally my dads car he got a deal on it at work only 7 miles on the clock (PDI)

The main cambelt had hairline cracks in it the 2 other belts looked good and so did the AUX belt, I have faith in the belts themselves just not the tensioner plastic, I have pics I just need to work out how to upload them from this Ipad.
Old 28th November 2020, 17:42   #4
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

That is remarkably comforting, Ade. As a matter of interest, what was the mileage on the belts?
The belts on my 75 are coming up to 7 years and I was expecting to have them changed at the next annual service. Now I'm not so sure. I'm unlikely to last another fourteen years, even if the belts would. Perhaps I should save my pension for other work on the Rover, not that it needs much, if anything, at the moment.
Derek.
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 18:24   #5
Ade01

Rover 75

No problem Derek, the vehicle has done 65k, not sure what to recommend to you, Im not 100% sure didn’t Rover say 10 years or 100k miles what ever comes first.

It all comes down to how much your car is worth to you.
Old 28th November 2020, 18:57   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its nice to get a good report, Gavin is one of the good guys in our mg Rover world
Old 28th November 2020, 19:51   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Its nice to get a good report, Gavin is one of the good guys in our mg Rover world
Couldn't agree more. I have used him for the past 6 years on a number of Rovers - always happy with the job, the price, and the detailed explanation of what he has done and the parts used.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote