Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2020, 18:14   #12151
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Today I made a start on repairing a members tourer, it’s a bit crusty at the moment!

A bit crusty??

I'd hate to see what you would call rotten then

Best of luck with that job, has the car lived by the seaside by any chance?
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 18:34   #12152
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Today I made a start on repairing a members tourer, it’s a bit crusty at the moment!

I would say that's quite a religious car .. Most distinctly holy

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 18:39   #12153
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
A bit crusty??

I'd hate to see what you would call rotten then

Best of luck with that job, has the car lived by the seaside by any chance?
It is from Rotherham Alf, all the bad bits have been cut out now and a tom Hobbs panel cut to fit, I have cleaned the insides a bit, going to give it a good scouring before treating it with rust killer.
Old 28th November 2020, 18:42   #12154
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I would say that's quite a religious car .. Most distinctly holy
This is why we must treat the inside of our sills before its too late.
Old 28th November 2020, 18:51   #12155
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default A Question...

Quote:
It is from Rotherham Alf, all the bad bits have been cut out now and a tom Hobbs panel cut to fit, I have cleaned the insides a bit, going to give it a good scouring before treating it with rust killer.
Hello Andy, has this car had the soaking carpets in its past years? I think I've found another problem related to that issue. I've noticed that just behind the lower seat belt mount there's a gap in the inner sill that goes to the floor pan, it has a half sealed plug of sheet metal that will let water in very easily. I think that the water in the foam of the carpets gets into this hole and is pushed backwards by the forward motion of the cars, hence the bad rot at the rear of the sills.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2020, 18:54   #12156
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

The carpets are dry Mike and have been ok for the last 6 years that I have known the car, I don't think it helps that it gets used all year round and not much tlc on the underside.
Old 28th November 2020, 19:15   #12157
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default Thanks.

Quote:
The carpets are dry Mike and have been ok for the last 6 years that I have known the car, I don't think it helps that it gets used all year round and not much tlc on the underside.
I'm fitting the carpet back in my ZT in the morning, it's been out for about five years as I waited for the eye issues to be solved. I've replaced the sound deadening on both sides of the floor pan over recent days, the water under there wasn't for coming out. I noticed the light rust staining around that metal plug and thought it was a drain into the rear of the sills if the carpets were wet, the foam easily sits higher than the plug so I'm sealing it in the morning. I think we're missing an obvious thing that's causing the rust issues in the sills. My ZT has been off the road since 2011 and I suspect it might have a sill problem, I'm not certain but instinct says yes and that shouldn't be so on my car unless the water was getting in there from inside. I'll delve deeper and post what I find.
I hope you're all doing well in this madness.
Old 28th November 2020, 19:20   #12158
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I'm fitting the carpet back in my ZT in the morning, it's been out for about five years as I waited for the eye issues to be solved. I've replaced the sound deadening on both sides of the floor pan over recent days, the water under there wasn't for coming out. I noticed the light rust staining around that metal plug and thought it was a drain into the rear of the sills if the carpets were wet, the foam easily sits higher than the plug so I'm sealing it in the morning. I think we're missing an obvious thing that's causing the rust issues in the sills. My ZT has been off the road since 2011 and I suspect it might have a sill problem, I'm not certain but instinct says yes and that shouldn't be so on my car unless the water was getting in there from inside. I'll delve deeper and post what I find.
I hope you're all doing well in this madness.
I spotted that in one of your other posts Mike, I will check that on my gold diesel when I remove the interior after Christmas, I have owned the car for 7 years now and had the interior out about 6 yrs ago to swap it to deep sea green.

it will be interesting to see what its like when I get it all apart.
Old 28th November 2020, 19:50   #12159
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default Good news.

Quote:
I spotted that in one of your other posts Mike, I will check that on my gold diesel when I remove the interior after Christmas, I have owned the car for 7 years now and had the interior out about 6 yrs ago to swap it to deep sea green.

It will be interesting to see what its like when I get it all apart.
I found that the water was staying put unless the soundproofing was removed, the worst part was the floor bungs hold water in that little ring they're shaped into. I've removed some of them and plan to fit them from under the car with tiger seal, they fit flush so they won't be noticed upside down but, it does mean that a wet carpet can be drained from the underside by prising off a bung from underneath before trying to lift that dead weight carpet full of water. It's just another way of dealing with these issues.
Old 28th November 2020, 19:53   #12160
onceaknight
Regular poster

Rover 75

Smile

Twas a mild chill in the air and I was getting sand blasted by the leaves. But I continued step to up to the challenging much needed 'plenum' clean. Amazingly it was like a dry dock..dry not wet. No water marks. So have the engine bay a good cleaning. You know, to make it look pretty.
onceaknight is offline   Reply With Quote