Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2020, 13:14   #11
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

I thank you all who have responded to my question, particularly to Macafee2 and Kelvo. The wrench from Machinemart looks just right, and the one from Liftmaster via Amazon looks identical, with the further benefit of a case. Both are UK vendors and the price difference is negligible so I will go down that route.

As an aside, I always check I can undo a couple of nuts with the hand brace before leaving the tyre depot, expecting them all to be torqued to the same value. I do the same after service. That one must have been done twice, or before the gun was adjusted.

Derek.
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 03:10   #12
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

Default Impact wrench for emergency wheel removal

I bought something like this
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cir1...rench-kit-12v/
a few years ago. A cheap one that suddenly failed but when it worked it outperformed both the 12v Milwaukee and an air powered version.
I managed to undo the rear bumper irons on my mk1 VW T4 with it and people said it was man enough for a crank pulley.
I never replaced it as I found I could manage with a breaker bar and cordless impact gun, but I think I’ll get another corded 12v as it really was good, always powered, and broke the tightest of bolts. It wasn’t a Clarke it was an Amazon tat version but a good brand would be a good tool.
They don’t work like an air gun, they spin up and fling an internal weight, and there is no torque reaction to the user so very relaxing to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st December 2020, 12:22   #13
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

For many , many years I've kept a telescopic wheel brace , something like this in the boot :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/40243708939...28a5334f509289
Never failed me yet , even after a multitude of tyre fitters have tried to defeat me
It also doubles up as a defensive tool if you work callouts in the middle of the night in dodgy places !
Old 1st December 2020, 20:25   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am not saying this is any good but as they are uk based you may find it eaier to return if you have a problem

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cir1...MaAuTWEALw_wcB

also this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liftmaster-.../dp/B0036YHBMM

macafee2
Can the output of these be adjusted to what torque you require ?
Old 1st December 2020, 20:55   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Find a reputable place. My garage whizzes the bolts up with the air gun on a low setting then uses a torque wrench to tighten them.---You can't beat that.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 21:51   #16
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Find a reputable place. My garage whizzes the bolts up with the air gun on a low setting then uses a torque wrench to tighten them.---You can't beat that.
This is what I do, but with an 18v Milwaukee cordless on a low setting. Only reliable way to tighten is to finish with a correct torque wrench. Then undoing will be less of an issue. However, I had my first ever roadside puncture this morning (ZTT front passenger side sudden deflation). Only half a mile from the house and being late for work, I panicked and decided to limp back and grab another car. Not a recommended solution with hindsight
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 22:08   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
I thank you all who have responded to my question, particularly to Macafee2 and Kelvo. The wrench from Machinemart looks just right, and the one from Liftmaster via Amazon looks identical, with the further benefit of a case. Both are UK vendors and the price difference is negligible so I will go down that route.

As an aside, I always check I can undo a couple of nuts with the hand brace before leaving the tyre depot, expecting them all to be torqued to the same value. I do the same after service. That one must have been done twice, or before the gun was adjusted.

Derek.
Derek,
do not, I repeat do not wrap for fingers around the wheel brace and push down. Same for anyone else, don't do it. If the brace slips off you will with some force send your knuckles to the ground and then follow with your weight. Put a foot on the brace and push down with your foot or push with an open palm

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 22:11   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
For many , many years I've kept a telescopic wheel brace , something like this in the boot :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/40243708939...28a5334f509289
Never failed me yet , even after a multitude of tyre fitters have tried to defeat me
It also doubles up as a defensive tool if you work callouts in the middle of the night in dodgy places !
Chucked my wheel brace like that. As it is not a right angle you end up pushing at the wrong angle

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:02   #19
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

Refitted my refurbed alloys yesterday, span the nuts on lightly with a 12V Milwaukee gun then nipped up to 125Nm with my new Torque wrench. I was surprised how “loose” 125Nm is, would have thought it was much tighter!
Found one of those extending braces in the shed so I’ve put it in the boot now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:53   #20
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Derek,
do not, I repeat do not wrap for fingers around the wheel brace and push down. Same for anyone else, don't do it. If the brace slips off you will with some force send your knuckles to the ground and then follow with your weight. Put a foot on the brace and push down with your foot or push with an open palm

macafee2

Or pull up with a straight arm, using your legs. Not only does this avoid anything, especially your knuckles, hitting the ground, your legs are stronger than your arms. A telescopic or 2ft breaker bar with a 6 point socket also helps immensely.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote