Notices

Old 10th March 2018, 09:33   #11
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I'm also using Lightroom 4. I know it's a little out of date now, but it's more than powerful enough for my needs at present.

A good tip re the licence number - I'll make sure it's kept safe and sound.

Cliff
Good morning Cliff, I know you are fully conversant with Photoshop I could never get on with it, in particular layering. For years I struggled to understand its application and so hardly ever used it. I found LR4 much easier to handle (software valid on 5 devices). I particularly like its brushes and the ability to paint in light, whites, blacks, noise etc. I checked on Amazon last night and LR4 is no longer available.

Last year, I bought another laptop for use in Africa and even though no4 is 2012, Adobe have some way of checking the numbers validity. Mine still works
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 10:00   #12
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Hi Phil - trust you're enjoying your time in Kenya .

It's interesting how different software works for different people. Whilst I had no problems with layers in Photoshop, it took me an absolute age to get my head around the way that Lightroom handles file management. I gave up on it a number of times before finally getting to grips.

I just couldn't see past the absence of a "save as" button, and the idea of "importing" photos and using "catalogs" and "collections" frustrated me for a long time. I had to spend a fair amount of time watching and re-watching tutorial videos before it finally sunk in . Worth the effort in the end though .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 10:31   #13
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Morning..

Changing th subject a little.

Many many years ago I used to go to a college studying photography. We messed around in th dark room for hours on end. Lots thought at th time that this electronic gadgetry was th end of true fotography. It would be interesting to see if any one still can remember th joy of watching th paper changing in th developer. Taking it all threw th process from a negative (dodging and burning) I loved it. Only after long hours of work of been in th developer, wash and fixer to bring it out in th day light and find it a bit....... Thin. Then back in again and again till we were happy........ ish. Or am I just reminiscing about th past..

So is digital th future or as th art gone out of th art of fotography.

Ps. Since th late 90's I'v been th proud owner of a digital.

But is it th true image of fotography??
Old 10th March 2018, 10:44   #14
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Morning..

Changing th subject a little.

Many many years ago I used to go to a college studying photography. We messed around in th dark room for hours on end. Lots thought at th time that this electronic gadgetry was th end of true fotography. It would be interesting to see if any one still can remember th joy of watching th paper changing in th developer. Taking it all threw th process from a negative (dodging and burning) I loved it. Only after long hours of work of been in th developer, wash and fixer to bring it out in th day light and find it a bit....... Thin. Then back in again and again till we were happy........ ish. Or am I just reminiscing about th past..

So is digital th future or as th art gone out of th art of fotography.

Ps. Since th late 90's I'v been th proud owner of a digital.

But is it th true image of fotography??

I see digital processing as pretty much the same as chemical processing. Both just adjust the image captured in the camera.

The real skill is choosing the subject, the lighting, the composition, being there in the first place, practising for years, setting the camera, etc etc.

Having said that I guess most people do not have art in the back of their mind when taking the holiday snaps but that has not changed from film days.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote