Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2015, 11:44   #11
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coedy View Post
Out of interest why do the springs so much on these cars? Are there not heavy duty aftermarket springs?

I am guessing it may be that the springs are so soft to give the 'glide' ride quality that they just give up? If that is the case do ZTs suffer spring issues as well?

Mine is a diesel ZT. So yes indeed they do suffer the same.
My son is an MOT tester and he says that he must fail at least a quarter of the cars that come for test on a broken spring, I can only put it down to the amount of speed humps and bad road surfaces we have now. It was never common when I was younger and working in the trade.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 14:19   #12
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Poor advice from me doodles there I'm afraid.
Mr doodles, you were lucky and found the right spring to match your existing - this is pure chance at best, and is a handling/safety issue, sure you can do it and get away with it, but is it good advice?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 14:39   #13
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post

So, my connie saloon has broken a front spring while parked. Possibly it's happened before in 53k miles as spring protectors are fitted.

The fact that spring protectors are fitted does not indicate that the springs have broken before. Unfortunately they are not the complete answer to tyre
damage on the fronts but are better than nothing.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 15:30   #14
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Fancy Getting a Pair Made in Sheffield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
I'm sure there's many posts, but yet again when I search I get the dreaded blank page with (.....do=process) in the tab. Why is this?

So, my connie saloon has broken a front spring while parked. Possibly it's happened before in 53k miles as spring protectors are fitted.

My question is - is it acceptable to replace just the broken spring? All the books say to replace both, but as breakage seems to be a common occurance does it make sense to wait for the other to go? Presumably I can identify it by the colour marks to obtain the correct one from Rimmers, who seem to sell most of them singly, except a few genuine ones sold as a pair.

Comments and advice would be appreciated.
See this thread

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=140543

Fortunately I haven't lost a spring since Dan found this place, but I'll probably try them if I do.

If you do, let us know how you got on.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 15:51   #15
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Poor advice from me doodles there I'm afraid.

Mr doodles, you were lucky and found the right spring to match your existing - this is pure chance at best, and is a handling/safety issue, sure you can do it and get away with it, but is it good advice?

Not really poor advice, as I do state in my post to do what YOU are happiest doing and was just stating my experience of replacing one spring with a cheapy off eBay!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 17:14   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Its is good advice to replace as a pair, but it is not mandatory. Most garages now will happily just fit a single spring.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 15:22   #17
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Thankyou all for your comments and views. I'll certainly buy a pair of springs, but won't be in a rush to fit the second one. I'd also thought about the top strut bearing.

Why so many differnces in springs? I can expect differences between 1.8, KV6, and diesel engines because of the different weight of engines, and perhaps saloon/tourer, but are there other differnces? Surely it should be possible to specify for a 2.0 V6 pre-facelift saloon and get the correct spring? Or am I missing something? - is it more difficult such that I have to check under the back seat or find paint markings on the old spring?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 17:19   #18
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

If you could buy direct from rover parts suppliers things would indeed be easier, but buying from aftermarket, who at best just cater for a few variants, is asking too much.
Think rover 75, saloon and tourer, over how many years, and how many models?
Then add in MG variants, with at least two different stiffness rates and again the same engine variants, albeit with slightly less years in production.
I've never checked, but my guess would rover made around 8 different spec springs for front alone.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 22:16   #19
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

In the end got original front springs for the saloon and rear springs for the tourer from Rimmers, worked out less than most aftermarket ones.
Got the broken rear one off today, broken in two places, top and bottom coils.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote