Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th September 2015, 11:26   #1
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Default need a bit of help ...well a lot actually

I am in a bit of a quandary

as some will know from previous posts I have a broken spring on the back of the ZT which means at very least therear 2 springs need replacing

Knowing my luck this probably means the front 2 are on their way as well

I have a couple of options to me

buy a used set of springs (off a forum member) but no telling how long they will last and get a mechanic to fit them

or buy a complete set of new springs (aftermarket as my budget will not stretch to originals) and get a mechanic to fit them

I would usually do the job myself but I have a damaged disc in my back at the min so that kind of work is out for me at the moment

but I did have a thought

are there any forum member sin reasonable traveling distance ~(say an hour so up to birmingham or down to north London) who would be prepared to help me (well probably do most of it) do the job to save the garage bills

I know its a big ask .. but worth a shot right

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 12:14   #2
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

As the forum member offering you the ZT springs I would say if you are changing all 4 then go for new and take the chance to lower it at the same time

If you want the car on the road quickly then buy some ZT rears. I wouldn't say that all the springs would go just because one has gone. My wifes previous 75 had a front snap on the drivers side so I changed both fronts for second hand ones and we never had another spring go. Changing all the springs is no small task especially as the front pinch bolts will be a *** if they have not been undone in years. The rears are a lot easier to change.

If you can afford it go for new all round and take the option to lower her if you want to. I think the ZT suits a lowered stance.

Only my opinion I am sure others will be along. I would not want to do the job with a bad back thats for sure

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 12:32   #3
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
As the forum member offering you the ZT springs I would say if you are changing all 4 then go for new and take the chance to lower it at the same time

If you want the car on the road quickly then buy some ZT rears. I wouldn't say that all the springs would go just because one has gone. My wifes previous 75 had a front snap on the drivers side so I changed both fronts for second hand ones and we never had another spring go. Changing all the springs is no small task especially as the front pinch bolts will be a *** if they have not been undone in years. The rears are a lot easier to change.

If you can afford it go for new all round and take the option to lower her if you want to. I think the ZT suits a lowered stance.

Only my opinion I am sure others will be along. I would not want to do the job with a bad back thats for sure
yes its what I was thinking go for lowered ... however the cost of a full set of lowered springs and the garage bill is going to be tight .. very very tight as I bought some new headlights and an upper inlet manifold already this month

I can do the full set of springs or the second hand ones and the garage bill but not both ...

on the connie I found the pinch bolts a piece of cake ..and they hadnt been touched in years
I guess its down tot he individual car

Ill give everything a good soaking in penetrating oil the day before anyway

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

Old 5th September 2015, 12:43   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I was in a similar situation at the start of this year. Both my rear springs had cracked straight through and also snapped inside the housing. After taking a look at how rusty the front springs were, they were bound to snap some time soon too. Had a shop around and found the cheapest option for 4 brand new springs were the motobuild ones which are £164 at the moment. Not cheap but was the best option for me, also cost £100 labour to fit all four. Unfortunately when they took the front springs off mine they discovered that both the front shocks were shot so had to replace those too which cost over £100 extra

My dad had his front two springs replaced at national tyres and they quoted a very good price i believe supply and fit. They also do a free check up after a week or so to make sure they settle in play. He had the rear two springs on his old 75 replaced by them too.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 13:03   #5
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

yer I have been looking around at a full set I reckon about 3-4 hours to do the lot with all the right tools to hand

rears about an hour the gge quoted me fronts I am guessing about an hour each

I havent looked at the front shocks ill bet they are about shot did the rears earlier this year too ...

hoping to get away with the front shocks for a little while longer yet

I know its prudent to do them all at the same time but .. economics comes into play

Old 5th September 2015, 13:15   #6
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Another Option. Why Replace Both Rear Springs?

If cash is a problem and there's no apparent reason to replace the other (like corrosion on the spring or if either damper is leaking), why not just replace the one broken rear? Why risk one used spring, or - worse - a set of second hand ones?

My reasons for suggesting this?

At 5 years old and 80K + miles one of my rears went (I heard it).

Nobody could spot which spring had broken and the car handled fine.

Two years later it was spotted at an MOT and the garage replaced the one broken spring without consulting me. The car handled fine.

Three years further on and at 125K, one rear damper had started to leak and both springs showed signs of corrosion. So I've had new dampers and new springs.

The fronts are still original and showing no signs of distress.

I'm not known for driving very gently and nobody who drove the car noticed anything odd about the way the car handled - either with the broken spring or the unmatched pair.

My opinion is it's not worth buying second hand on a moving part that suffers stress and wear, unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Hope this gives you an alternative to consider.

Robert

355188 of 355194

Last edited by Frank Incensed; 5th September 2015 at 13:20..
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 13:42   #7
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

having had a front spring go on the connie at about the same mileage and had it take out a tyre I would rather do the lot .. if I can

apart from anything else I would like to put a lowering set on

I think its a false economy doing one spring

Old 5th September 2015, 16:15   #8
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default I'm Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5tart View Post
having had a front spring go on the connie at about the same mileage and had it take out a tyre I would rather do the lot .. if I can

apart from anything else I would like to put a lowering set on

I think its a false economy doing one spring
You started this thread by indicating cost was an issue -

".... buy a used set of springs (off a forum member) but no telling how long they will last and get a mechanic to fit them

or buy a complete set of new springs (aftermarket as my budget will not stretch to originals)...."

It's usually the front springs that puncture tyres and you can fit protectors.

I also think you can buy better quality and more expensive springs than the originals.

With respect, replacing one spring could buy you time to save for future needs. It would have worked that way for me, if that's what I needed.

Personally, I can't think of greater false economies than buying second hand springs, or lashing out on a complete set of new lowering springs, then finding out you don't like the ride.

My new springs aren't cheap (Kilen) and they're heavy duty, which I knew would alter the stance of the car. I knew I was taking a risk altering things, but I was prepared to buy new, standard rate springs if I didn't like the change.

Still, you pays your money and takes your choice. You'd really need a crystal ball to know what will work out best for you.

Good luck.

Robert

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 16:49   #9
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
You started this thread by indicating cost was an issue -

".... buy a used set of springs (off a forum member) but no telling how long they will last and get a mechanic to fit them

or buy a complete set of new springs (aftermarket as my budget will not stretch to originals)...."

It's usually the front springs that puncture tyres and you can fit protectors.

I also think you can buy better quality and more expensive springs than the originals.

With respect, replacing one spring could buy you time to save for future needs. It would have worked that way for me, if that's what I needed.

Personally, I can't think of greater false economies than buying second hand springs, or lashing out on a complete set of new lowering springs, then finding out you don't like the ride.

My new springs aren't cheap (Kilen) and they're heavy duty, which I knew would alter the stance of the car. I knew I was taking a risk altering things, but I was prepared to buy new, standard rate springs if I didn't like the change.

Still, you pays your money and takes your choice. You'd really need a crystal ball to know what will work out best for you.

Good luck.

Robert
Having lowered and stiffened cars before I know what I am in for

maybe worded badly

but the options are price driven

replacing the springs with second hand OE ones and paying labour equates to about the same price and a full set of lowering springs without the labour ....

If I can get some help on doing the job (due to the back injury) then ill go down the route of new springs

I would rather do the job with new springs than second hand ones .... obviously .. and if you are doing one rear spring you may as well do both (in fact I would rather than having springs of different ages)

I wouldnt just change one spring .... 2 OE new ones are about the same cost as a lowering kit ... so thats out 2 second hand ones and the labour I can afford 4 second hand ones and the labour I can afford

Old 7th September 2015, 13:29   #10
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

anyone able to help ?