Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2016, 16:53   #31
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

We had similar over here about a month ago.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-0...thamptonshire/
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 18:02   #32
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

No call for panic, it was just me chasing 2Diesels up the M1.... .....
I didn't catch him..... His Volvo is a bit quick!
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 18:31   #33
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
We had similar over here about a month ago.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-0...thamptonshire/
I wonder why ITV thought it best to use the image of a US Navy F-15 Eagle (at the top of the story) rather than an RAF Eurofighter Typhoon?

Last edited by DragonFly; 3rd May 2016 at 18:37..
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 10:11   #34
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

We used to enjoy the rumble of Concorde on the South coast as it went supersonic over the Atlantic.

It certainly wasn't a bang that a fighter would produce if it were "on a mission".

Shame to think that such a beautiful plane flies no more.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 10:25   #35
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Same has happened twice over Derby in the last week.Single boom on each occasion.
The last being at around 11-30am on Saturday morning.There was a single very loud boom in the distance,same happened a few days earlier, I put down to thunder.

Have there been QRA exercises taking place recently?

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 12:38   #36
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

We heard it too here in Garforth, very loud indeed - it shook our boiler cupboard door. I was in the kitchen at the time where the boiler cupboard is and thought the boiler must have exploded - then we spotted everyone out in the street wondering what it was.

Thinking it might have been a bomb or a gas explosion I tried to do a 999 just to inform them, but it was engaged and remained engaged for 15minutes.

It turned out to be the two Typhoons on an intercept mission for an Air France aircraft heading for Newcatle airport, which had its transponder not working and ATC were unable to contact them - shades of 9/11.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 16:33   #37
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
We heard it too here in Garforth, very loud indeed - it shook our boiler cupboard door. I was in the kitchen at the time where the boiler cupboard is and thought the boiler must have exploded - then we spotted everyone out in the street wondering what it was.

Thinking it might have been a bomb or a gas explosion I tried to do a 999 just to inform them, but it was engaged and remained engaged for 15minutes.

It turned out to be the two Typhoons on an intercept mission for an Air France aircraft heading for Newcatle airport, which had its transponder not working and ATC were unable to contact them - shades of 9/11.
999 engaged .

Thats worrying .

What if it had been a real emergency .

Thats awful.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 16:44   #38
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Good to know our defence organs waste no time with niceties when called to investigate what might just be something potentially very harmful to us as a Nation. Not a time to think about the horses. ...

More speed to them.
I wonder if there is anyway to find out where the 'epicentre' of them breaking the sound barrier was? Just curious to know how close we were to the bang.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 16:59   #39
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
999 engaged .

Thats worrying .

What if it had been a real emergency .

Thats awful.
Why is it worrying? There's only ever going to be a finite capacity in any system (the emergency call handling system included). There's no way on earth that this, or any other country with a comparable system, could have an infinite number of telephone lines being answered by an infinite number of operators.

There are 7 (yes, only 7) regional centres (OAC's) for handling emergency calls, calls made to these centres are then handed off to local call handlers for each of the emergency services. However, the line to the emergency operator is also kept 'open' (in use) so that line is effectively engaged. There's also a certain capacity to 'hand off' emergency calls to other regional centres if one is busy.

At some point though, the system will reach capacity and you'll hear an actual engaged tone.

When a major incident happens, you may get hundreds if not thousands of people all calling 999/112 at the same time. No system in the world is designed to (or can cope with) that when it happens.

However, the lines might only be engaged for a moment, as soon as one call is 'cleared' that line becomes available for the next call, so redialling, even straight away, will often get a connection. Although even that doesn't guarantee that the emergency operator will be able to get a call through to the emergency service that you require, as each of their call centres only have a certain number of phone lines and staff too.
Old 4th May 2016, 17:07   #40
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I wonder if there is anyway to find out where the 'epicentre' of them breaking the sound barrier was? Just curious to know how close we were to the bang.
The sonic boom moves with the plane.

Certainly there'd be a point where the aircraft first went through the sound barrier, probably not too far from the point of take off, but from there onwards, the sonic boom moves along with the aircraft until it reduces its airspeed to subsonic levels.