Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th June 2016, 23:05   #1
skyhigh102

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Seeking Expert Advise:

In October 2015 in got myself a 2003 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Automatic Diesel with 90K on the clock with 9 months MOT. paid £1700, car looked in very good condition and the guy told me he had just spent a lot of money getting a new alternator and battery, too cut a long story short the car drove like a dream until January 2016 when the car failed to start, turned out to be the battery, so put a new battery on the car, few weeks later had to get 4 new tyres, then soon after that a new crank shaft pulley had to be fitted, so in 3 months it has cost me over £800 in repairs, now today (18 June 2016) I took the car to the garage where my son-in-law is an MOT inspector, he looked it over as the MOT is due in July, he told me there is a little play on the O/S/F track rod, but will be OK for an MOT, however, it also needs all the discs replaced, both front to rear brake pipes or badly corroded, the self levelling headlight on one side is not working, it lights up, but thinks it could be the levelling sensor, both rear coil springs are broke and 2 of the alloy wheels are badly damaged on the inside.
So it looks like I have been well and truly ripped off with this car.
I don't know if I should count my losses and get another, or repair all the faults on this car, problem I have is that my next car may also need work doing that I don't know about.
The car now stands me at £2500, and I guess it's going take a shed load of money to put it right for the MOT.
So if anyone can give me some advice as to what you think I should do, I would be so greatful.

Thanks.
skyhigh102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 05:36   #2
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh102 View Post
In October 2015 in got myself a 2003 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Automatic Diesel with 90K on the clock with 9 months MOT. paid £1700, car looked in very good condition and the guy told me he had just spent a lot of money getting a new alternator and battery, too cut a long story short the car drove like a dream until January 2016 when the car failed to start, turned out to be the battery, so put a new battery on the car, few weeks later had to get 4 new tyres, then soon after that a new crank shaft pulley had to be fitted, so in 3 months it has cost me over £800 in repairs, now today (18 June 2016) I took the car to the garage where my son-in-law is an MOT inspector, he looked it over as the MOT is due in July, he told me there is a little play on the O/S/F track rod, but will be OK for an MOT, however, it also needs all the discs replaced, both front to rear brake pipes or badly corroded, the self levelling headlight on one side is not working, it lights up, but thinks it could be the levelling sensor, both rear coil springs are broke and 2 of the alloy wheels are badly damaged on the inside.
I don't know if I should count my losses and get another, or repair all the faults on this car, problem I have is that my next car may also need work doing that I don't know about.
The car now stands me at £2500, and I guess it's going take a shed load of money to put it right for the MOT.
So if anyone can give me some advice as to what you think I should do, I would be so greatful.

Thanks.
Get in contact with Marinabrian or 2diesels on here, they are both traders in your area and will be able to have a look at the car for you. Both of these gents are great fonts of knowledge when it comes to these cars and neither of them will rip you off.

If it was my car I'd just fix it as then you know for certain all the expensive jobs have been done so hopefully it should give many more years of trouble free motoring.
Old 19th June 2016, 08:15   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

If the car was bought private then unfortunately you've just been unlucky. These cars are 11 years old at the very least so are starting to age. If you like the car then repair it as you may get another needing more work. Only you can decide how 'attached' you've become. Sort the springs and brake pipes for the mot to start with, the discs are probably OK for the mot other than an advise if they meet efficiency. The headlight height adjustment should be sortable via one of the traders.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 09:30   #4
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

As sbove .

The great folk in this club will help you keep the car .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 09:45   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post
Get in contact with Marinabrian or 2diesels on here, they are both traders in your area and will be able to have a look at the car for you. Both of these gents are great fonts of knowledge when it comes to these cars and neither of them will rip you off.

If it was my car I'd just fix it as then you know for certain all the expensive jobs have been done so hopefully it should give many more years of trouble free motoring.
Brian is a genius with electronic stuff as well as mechanical, but Colin is your man if you want someone to do the works for you . He has a workshop,in Morpeth, but only works certain evenings and Saturdays. Brian and Colin have done shed loads of work on my car. All of it is just wear and tear, rear springs are easy enough to do,track rod end can be replaced for about £20, the brake pipes are a bit of a pain to do if they are the front to back ones, as they go over the fuel tank. Crank pulley will cost you about £110 ,this is one part that needs the genuine Corteco part. Colin can do that for you,as he did mine. PM me if you want and I can take you up to Colin and break the ice so to speak.
Old 19th June 2016, 10:07   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh102 View Post

Thanks.
Firstly, I don't think that you have been ripped off with the car. All the things that you have described are likely to need attention at the sort of age that your car has reached. It is unlikely that a private owner is going to attend to such items and then sell the car.

Also, none of the outstanding items are major. The discs and pads plus sensors will cost £150 to purchasefor a quality set (TRW for Mister Auto or similar). Springs about £75 for the pair. Having all brake pipes replaced another £150 perhaps.

As above, I would suggest that you spend a day at one of the forum traders, get them to afix all the known issues and give the car a thorough inspection and attend to anything else that might otherwise require attention in the near future.

I would always recommend that anyone buying a 10-year old car allows £1500 in order to attend to all the unattended items in order to achieve a reliable, enjoyable car. This would apply to any car.

So, spend another circa £500 to £1000 and you should have a thoroughly reliable car.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 10:22   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Firstly, I don't think that you have been ripped off with the car. All the things that you have described are likely to need attention at the sort of age that your car has reached. It is unlikely that a private owner is going to attend to such items and then sell the car.
These cars, for what they are, are cheap, but when they get to this sort of age they will need some work and money input. A comparable other car will need a similar amount of work to bring it up to spec.. A lot of the work can be DIY and it is a good way to learn your way around the car. All of those jobs are basic easy DIY, with a bit of help and guidance.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 13:14   #8
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
One thing I never do it to think the car "Stands me £££" Cars are a win or no win item. No matter how much you throw at them you never get that investment back unless it's a classic.
If you like the car fix the problems and enjoy the experience.
What you have fitted so far would be normal replacements, Tyres go on anything as you know, batteries can fail, modern ones probably are more prone to sudden failure than in days gone by, crank pulleys are again a common failure on many different engines.
Springs, discs and brake pipes are common issues on any older car, just look in garages bins!
If you don't want repairs buy a new Fiat on lease!
Old 19th June 2016, 13:41   #9
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I paid £2500 for my car in 2012. I have replaced nearly, actually all, that you have and then some. Most was before it failed, as a preventative measure.

Yes, I do all my own repairs so it is parts only. My outer tie rod end was starting to wear so all 4 were replaced. I still believe that I have a better car than a 2010 Seat ( as an arbitrary example) and it will out last a car like that.

Take some consolation in the fact that you were neither ripped off nor unlucky, mechanical stuff fails eventually. A £10 000 car will still need tyres and brakes no matter what.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 15:11   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Our cars are priceless, next time to get stuck in stationary traffic in the rain you will realise what a nice place your car is to be in! .... And..

When the rain stops and the traffic clears-- then it's "rock on Tommy" and off you go!! brmmmmm innit.....
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote