Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th September 2017, 22:21   #1
cumbriakevin
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8t

Default 1.8T wrong coolant T piece

I've checked the T piece on the coolant following recommendations on here to replace the plastic T with the metal one. On checking to make sure the metal one was not fitted I've become confused. Looking at the coolant drawing I'm imagining that 3 is the correct piece with the small stem coming off it. On mine there is no stem. Am I looking in the wrong place or right place but wrong T piece on there. it looks like the one for the non turbo but I'm not confident enough to know whether I'm just making an error in where I'm looking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (61.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170910_222027.jpg (111.7 KB, 30 views)
cumbriakevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 06:10   #2
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Not sure what the pic is of, but the tee in question (yes 3/7 on drawing) sits just behind the rad at the top, you cant miss it.

Last edited by drewbie; 11th September 2017 at 06:12..
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 08:50   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriakevin View Post
I've checked the T piece on the coolant following recommendations on here to replace the plastic T with the metal one. On checking to make sure the metal one was not fitted I've become confused. Looking at the coolant drawing I'm imagining that 3 is the correct piece with the small stem coming off it. On mine there is no stem. Am I looking in the wrong place or right place but wrong T piece on there. it looks like the one for the non turbo but I'm not confident enough to know whether I'm just making an error in where I'm looking...
Your showing two different items in the photos. In the first photo item 3 is of the y-branch for a non PRT turbo model. Does this link to a post the other day help with a supplier of the y-branch?
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=272972

If it is the y-piece you are after please inspect the state of the ends of your existing hoses where they clamp to the y-branch as a lot of people use jubilee clips which apply an uneven side load and tighten them up too much which nips the fragile hose rubber, breaks the plastic t-piece or y-branch and eventually leads to leaks. Better use the spring clips to even out the clamping force, much superior and especially relevant if using a new plastic y-branch or t-piece.
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PYC000520

The second photo although difficult to see is something else isn't it or have you broken this? Could it be this? It only comes with the hose, but you could trundle down to your local eco friendly scrappy to find one, but its not too much at £30 for new hoses too TBH.
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PCH001480

My photos L to R:
1. Small plastic t-piece that only comes as hose assembly taken from another angle. The small bore hose about 5/8" OD runs to the top of the radiator on OSF and the left hand branch runs across the top of the radiator to the coolant header tank. The other branch goes back to the inlet manifold adjacent to cylinder #1.
2. T-piece for PRT version shown. Yours will most likely may not have the large branch downpipe which run down past the radiator by the sound of it?
3. Spring hose clips for even clamping over 360deg circumference and constant force, larger surface area on hose without cutting into it. Never loses tension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1231.jpg (128.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (126.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1233.jpg (129.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Lovel; 11th September 2017 at 09:26..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 09:40   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If you have a Pressure Relief Thermostat - PRT - (Item 17 in the Rimmer drawing), then you need one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Stainl...QAAOSw-pVZlWWL
which replaces Item 7.

If you don't have a PRT (there's no Rimmer drawing for non-PRT Turbo system), then you need one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Rover-N...8AAOSw2gxY0xL9

Item 3 in the drawing is the small bore hose going to the turbocharger.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 13:54   #5
cumbriakevin
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8t

Sorted. When I looked last night I mistook the small bore T at the top for the large bore T which sits underneath that T and is more central to the radiator. Now I've looked at the large bore one it clearly has the small diameter offshoot which goes to the turbo. I will now get the stainless replacement from ebay for this. Thanks for making it clear. Much appreciated.
cumbriakevin is offline   Reply With Quote