Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th June 2019, 17:55   #61
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
There is no such thing as Road Tax anymore, hasn’t been since 2001. The rules on untaxed vehicles changed too over the years. Cars must either have paid VED or a SORN notice, irrespective of how long the car was planned to be off the road.
They’re the rules, don’t agree with it but hey.
I think it was 1937
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 18:01   #62
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Just keep driving it, and one day soon you will come across PC Plod and his ANPR, I am sure he will take great pleasure in telling you that the car is not insured.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 20:41   #63
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

thank you very much for that Brian - unequivocal. It would seem the (2 different) chaps I've spoken to (at Churchills ) aren't sure themselves and they've been passing duff advice. I'll probably insure it myself on an additional temporary vehicle basis, whilst daughter is still in provisional licence mode and she hasn't insured it herself.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 20:56   #64
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

David, you might want to look into the possibility of learner driver insurance, there are a lot of companies who underwrite this type of risk, and often a lot cheaper than you think.

The road risk for the learner is normally between 7AM and 12PM, and because they must be accompanied by a qualified driver, the premiums are not as astronomical as solo drivers.

As an instance, the chap up the road insured his 17 year old son's fiesta for £390 P.A. and it may work out a lot cheaper than temporary insurance

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 14:21   #65
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I don't see why I should insure my vehicle if insurance runs out on the 1st and tax at end of month. I appreciate you cant buy tax without insurance but as I wont be driving the vehicle I don't see the issue.

A bit like sorn, has sorn been a way to fine people that don't sorn and don't use vehicle? With ANPR is it needed? The chances of getting stopped using an untaxed or sorned vehicle on the road are the same I suspect?

Perhaps the MOT and Tax should now come under one roof as people often drive with no mot. My neighbour both last year and this and a chap down the road last year, both for months. Not enough traffic officers and so no mot may not even result in a tug, shame.

macafee2
It took about 6 weeks for the MID letter to come. If I had known it would take me so long to fix the car, I would have SORNed it in the first place. I've just paid the FPN speeding fine awarded the week before I took the 75 off the road for repair. Ironic, - I refer to it as the "Slowver"!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 06:45   #66
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

brian - i ended up getting temporary cover ( just for me ) as an additional car on my existing policy. It was surprisingly cheap .

Interestingly, the third person I spoke to at Churchillls mentioned the other vehicle must be either SORN or Taxed and Insured - unlike his 2 colleagues whom i spoke to earlier.
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:24   #67
Rover_75_Owner
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I am changing over cars and having checked my new car did not have tax or insurance yet went to tax it before swapping the insurance over it worked?
This surprised me as I thought you needed insurance and mot to tax a car. It's all swapped over now.

It does seem wrong that you can swap a private plate over instantly but VED (road tax to me) and sorn is to the nearest month. With odd 5 day no further transaction s online for the VED. Strikes me very much of sharp practice.
Rover_75_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:10   #68
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

You shouldn't be able to do that.

I wonder if the DVLA database checked the insurance details and the previous owner's insurance was still showing as valid?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote