Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th May 2020, 05:50   #21
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Why not consider getting the car wrapped. Much cheaper than a respray and no worries about scratches or swirl marks in the future. Pretty sure you can get the vinyl colour made to match.
I deliver pizza quite regularly to a lad who owns his own wrapping company. Top notch wrapping from what I have seen on his own cars. I asked him what the cost would be for my Rover, just out of interest. He said "about £1500" But he won't touch a car over about 2 to 3 years old because the paint has to be pristine condition as every mark or chip will show on the wrap.

I don't agree with your comment about no worries about scratches. Have you ever tried wrapping anything???

A couple of years ago I thought "how hard can it be" and attempted to wrap some motorbike parts. After 5 attempts I gave up because I was scratching it trying to apply it. Wrap is VERY soft, and although I do wrap things now and again I will only use a matt or satin finish simply because a high gloss finish will have marks on it as soon as you even look at it. In fact, I have just remembered the last time I bough any high gloss wrap it was unusable simply because someone had rolled it up to post it to me in a tube and it had rubbed on itself. Hats off to anyone who can use high gloss wrap!

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 09:25   #22
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I deliver pizza quite regularly to a lad who owns his own wrapping company. Top notch wrapping from what I have seen on his own cars. I asked him what the cost would be for my Rover, just out of interest. He said "about £1500" But he won't touch a car over about 2 to 3 years old because the paint has to be pristine condition as every mark or chip will show on the wrap.

I don't agree with your comment about no worries about scratches. Have you ever tried wrapping anything???

A couple of years ago I thought "how hard can it be" and attempted to wrap some motorbike parts. After 5 attempts I gave up because I was scratching it trying to apply it. Wrap is VERY soft, and although I do wrap things now and again I will only use a matt or satin finish simply because a high gloss finish will have marks on it as soon as you even look at it. In fact, I have just remembered the last time I bough any high gloss wrap it was unusable simply because someone had rolled it up to post it to me in a tube and it had rubbed on itself. Hats off to anyone who can use high gloss wrap!
Thankfully someone who doesn’t think it’s a cheap substitute for a paint job. I saw an older BMW at a show recently which I thought was painted in the new frozen paint which I think looks awful but anyway I knew the car was too old for that. Went over to have a closer look and it was absolutely awful, you could see every mark on the paint through the wrap, so an absolute waste of time and money
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 09:32   #23
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Doesn't matter how expensive the paint is, the determining factor is the preparation, and the skill of the painter.

If the painter's rhetoric outclasses his skill, then you will get a crappy job, if your car is painted at a VBRA bodyshop where they have their own mixing scheme, gas heated, floor level extraction booth, by an artisan painter who takes pride in their workmanship, then you will more than likely be happy with the finish.

Unless your car is something really special, I'd be tempted not to bother, unless you have stripped a car in readiness to be painted before, you are in for a treat................it takes many many many careful hours to simply remove the trim

Brian
I agree with everything Brian apart from your first comment, maybe not the price of paint but certainly the quality of it which normally would be reflected in the price so paint cost is a factor in it too
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 10:08   #24
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
I agree with everything Brian apart from your first comment, maybe not the price of paint but certainly the quality of it which normally would be reflected in the price so paint cost is a factor in it too
I didn't mean that cheap paint is as good as quality paint Les, it was merely that it doesn't matter how expensive the paint is, if you have a halfwit behind the gun

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 14:21   #25
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I didn't mean that cheap paint is as good as quality paint Les, it was merely that it doesn't matter how expensive the paint is, if you have a halfwit behind the gun

Brian
A well regarded car detailer (Junkman2000 on Youtube) has a saying I like: "Technique trumps product, 24/7, 365" meaning exactly that .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 16:24   #26
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Quote:

Brother in law has a wrapped Range Rover , he managed to reverse into a plant pot causing a 1p size bit of damage to the wrap on the rear bumper , he took it in to the people who did the job for a price to repair it , bumper would have to come off and the whole thing stripped off and redone , £300 to £400
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 21:18   #27
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
The op wanted to know the cost of a respray – how long is a piece of string? As many have said a dust over can be a few hundred quid to a grand and a half depending on the state of the paintwork. A full and detailed prep, trim and windows out, many thousands of pounds and slightly less if windows etc just masked up. For a really decent professional job in this neck of the woods you would be looking at a starting price of £2k and upwards. Wrapping is an alternative short term solution as it will cost roughly a third less. It all depends on whether the car is to be a long term keeper or just needs tidying for a few more years. Either way the job will cost more than the cars worth and won’t add to its value but may add to the pleasure of owning a smart looking car.

Quote:

I wouldn’t suggest DIY wrapping either with cheap film – it needs experience and to be done using a professional premium high strength film which will protect against stone chips and minor scratches and provide years of durable finish. 3m for example warranty for up to 7 years on some films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Thankfully someone who doesn’t think it’s a cheap substitute for a paint job. I saw an older BMW at a show recently which I thought was painted in the new frozen paint which I think looks awful but anyway I knew the car was too old for that. Went over to have a closer look and it was absolutely awful, you could see every mark on the paint through the wrap, so an absolute waste of time and money
I've seen many horrible finishes too. it’s easy for it to be done badly. Like painters there’s a lot of amateur wrap merchants about. Like a respray the paint and bodywork has to be prepped properly to remove dings and scratches and any other paint imperfections beforehand otherwise it’s a total waste of time and money. Might as well use cling film. Consequently, it’s important to do some research for a well established and qualified wrapping company as there’s lots of lesser company’s springing up doing wraps. It’s the preparation that is the determining part and the skill of the technician applying the film.

Ultimately if the OPs only issue are scratches to the paintwork, as Cliff says a good detailer may be able to sort and refresh the paintwork providing they’ve not cut through to the primer.

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 23:27   #28
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

And is that a problem?
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote