Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th November 2021, 14:28   #21
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I really don't know what you are going on about. I know as much as I need to know about batteries. I do not consider the batteries to be at fault here and have not in any way refered to that in my posts. Again I advised it was known that this issue exists when charging with a trickle charger and cited a few incidences.

What I do know are the results of the tests done that blamed the chargers. My friend Jerome who has much more interest in this said that they fail due to cheap and or poor quality components. They cease to monitor themselves correctly and so can over charge or catch fire. Even high quality electronic components fail at times, maybe the circuit board in your boiler, or like me the air bag ECU in my Volvo. It happens.

Even my modern battery charger (not a trickle charger) which is supposed to monitor itself and stop charging when the battery is charged states in the instructions:-
RISK OF EXPLOSION. Remove the battery from the car, never use the charger in a confined area without adequate ventilation and air flow, avoid sparks, turn the charger on after connecting to the terminals and off before removing terminals. Monitor the charger at regular intervals and as soon as it is noted that the battery has been fully charged turn it off to avoid the risk of damage. (Even though it is supposed to have stopped charging).

So usually all the above is not being done with one of these charges. Locked up garage, bonnet shut so no ventilation, not being monitored physically. Something goes wrong with an electrical component within its circuitry and the result could well be an exploding battery and or fire.

Nothing to do with the battery and I believe that anyone reading my posts would have understood that.

My background in engineering starting as an apprentice tool maker moving up to Senior Design Engineer in the Electronics and Telecommunications Industry which included tool design, special purpose machine design, plastic and metal mould design, Printed circuit board design and design of the manufacturing process, circuitry design, plant layout, production engineering and the supervision of design and detail drafts-people, production and planning engineers and engineers. I did pick up a little knowledge on the way about electrical components.

Last edited by RobSun; 27th November 2021 at 14:47..
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2021, 20:25   #22
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

I have a C-Tek and it has been on trickle charge for the past three days.

Rev.
Three days? Just the blink of an eye
I had a car SORNed and on a C-Tek for 6 years!
That battery is still functioning well.
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 08:50   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I really don't know what you are going on about. I know as much as I need to know about batteries. I do not consider the batteries to be at fault here and have not in any way refered to that in my posts. Again I advised it was known that this issue exists when charging with a trickle charger and cited a few incidences.

What I do know are the results of the tests done that blamed the chargers. My friend Jerome who has much more interest in this said that they fail due to cheap and or poor quality components. They cease to monitor themselves correctly and so can over charge or catch fire. Even high quality electronic components fail at times, maybe the circuit board in your boiler, or like me the air bag ECU in my Volvo. It happens.

Even my modern battery charger (not a trickle charger) which is supposed to monitor itself and stop charging when the battery is charged states in the instructions:-
RISK OF EXPLOSION. Remove the battery from the car, never use the charger in a confined area without adequate ventilation and air flow, avoid sparks, turn the charger on after connecting to the terminals and off before removing terminals. Monitor the charger at regular intervals and as soon as it is noted that the battery has been fully charged turn it off to avoid the risk of damage. (Even though it is supposed to have stopped charging).

So usually all the above is not being done with one of these charges. Locked up garage, bonnet shut so no ventilation, not being monitored physically. Something goes wrong with an electrical component within its circuitry and the result could well be an exploding battery and or fire.

Nothing to do with the battery and I believe that anyone reading my posts would have understood that.

My background in engineering starting as an apprentice tool maker moving up to Senior Design Engineer in the Electronics and Telecommunications Industry which included tool design, special purpose machine design, plastic and metal mould design, Printed circuit board design and design of the manufacturing process, circuitry design, plant layout, production engineering and the supervision of design and detail drafts-people, production and planning engineers and engineers. I did pick up a little knowledge on the way about electrical components.
I'm not adamant about the actual cause of battery explosions.--I like many others simply use personal experience to give an opinion.

I bow down to your superior experience on older cars and charging methods.--

PS. Your work experience seems remarkably similar to mine.

ie. Tool design including press tools.

Special purpose machine design.

Plant layout including a building and services for a linear accelerator.

Mechanical equipment design for the Rapier missile system.

Three years in Dartmoor prison on all of the mechanical refurbishment of all the necessary services needed in the prison after the rioting that occurred there.

Now, thankfully, retired.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 09:06   #24
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

Three years in Dartmoor prison on all of the mechanical refurbishment of all the necessary services needed in the prison.............

It's amazing what they get prisoners to do these days.

What were you in for?

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 09:53   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
It's amazing what they get prisoners to do these days.

What were you in for?

Getting caught

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 11:06   #26
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Getting caught

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I guess that's better than saying "for a few little jobs"
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 22:37   #27
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I also have a cheap LIDL charger but can never bring myself to trust it on any of the cars as they all have expensive electronics. It does get used on the ride-on mower which has no electronics, just a starter solenoid driven by the starter key. Last year I noticed that the leads spark when connected to the battery. I need to check it as this suggests a current draw into the charger when not powered which would be a fault condition.
I bought a MD 19161 electronic charger from Lidl and it too sparks at the battery terminals when connecting. I tend to use it just to finish off charging as its display is always lit when in use which I don't think is a good design for screen longevity. Would much prefer for it to be timed off initially and then on only on demand. Used it today and it registered 0 volts on a battery which I knew was nearly fully charged. Checked that the clips were making good connection to the battery terminals and still no joy. Then something caught my eye as I looked closer at the clips. The clips are not crimped to the leads like every other charger that I've ever had. They are compression fittings clamped via a thumbscrew and both leads were loose. A quick tighten of both thumbscrews and all was well again. Will have to watch for that in future.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:05   #28
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I bought a MD 19161 electronic charger from Lidl and it too sparks at the battery terminals when connecting. I tend to use it just to finish off charging as its display is always lit when in use which I don't think is a good design for screen longevity. Would much prefer for it to be timed off initially and then on only on demand. Used it today and it registered 0 volts on a battery which I knew was nearly fully charged. Checked that the clips were making good connection to the battery terminals and still no joy. Then something caught my eye as I looked closer at the clips. The clips are not crimped to the leads like every other charger that I've ever had. They are compression fittings clamped via a thumbscrew and both leads were loose. A quick tighten of both thumbscrews and all was well again. Will have to watch for that in future.

First rules of connecting and disconnecting a battery charger.

Connect charger to battery.

Plug in battery charger.

Switch on mains.

Switch off mains.

Unplug charger.

Disconnect charger from battery.

Three simple measures for each stage = no sparks.
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:41   #29
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I note you are quoting classic cars.--Do you not think it applies to modern cars as well.--
Older cars used dynamos which when used on cars doing shorter journeys, couldn't sustain the batteries, especially in cold weather. Newer cars have alternators which are much more efficient and therefore are far less likely to need an external charger.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:22   #30
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
First rules of connecting and disconnecting a battery charger.

Connect charger to battery.

Plug in battery charger.

Switch on mains.

Switch off mains.

Unplug charger.

Disconnect charger from battery.

Three simple measures for each stage = no sparks.

You are wrong about this, Ii too have a Lidl charger and it sparks when connecting/disconnecting to the battery WITHOUT being connected to the mains.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote