Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2022, 23:58   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
People will have to make their own mind up on this as said there may or may not be a scam on the sellers part.

I can assure you the winning bidder of the original sale was no scammer. Parties on here who have had dealings with me would hopefully see me as a honest member on here. For all I know the seller may be also on here and completely genuine. Again only trying to provide a degree of questioning to members on here if they seek to buy this car. I would hate to find out a member on here being scammed (If a scam) and me being in a position to provide a heads up.

Everyone is entitled to there view on this thread, no more to say after this post.
Initially I wasnt aware that the first ad did not state the terms that the later ad had. However, it does seem like your friend asked the seller to hold the car for at least a week or so, which leads to the risk of your friend not turning up, then getting the deposit back (somehow) or more likely (from the POV of the seller) turn up and try to negotiate a lower price (very common apparently). But your friend does not have the right to negotiate the price bid, unless the car was not as described. This could be something ridiculous or unfair, eg lift the bonnet, find a scratch on the suspension turret, then try to negotiate £100 off or rejecting it as it was not mentioned in the ebay listing.

To be fair and clear, I see neither party as scammers, but rather an exasperated seller, wise to the 'moves' and shenanigans of buyers, and your friend, with good honest intentions, but ignorant of the hassles of a private car seller.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 08:21   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

It's quite possible that the seller added the terms about payment within 2 days etc. as a response to receiving messages from the potential buyer proposing to pay and collect sometime later. I have done this in the past after receiving messages from people that I considered unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post

To be fair and clear, I see neither party as scammers, .............

Nor do I, but given that the OP has posted suggesting the seller could be a scammer, one must consider all the possibilities, including the possibility that the situation is of a possible scam seller faced by a possible scamming buyer and his scamming support i.e. friend. I find this scenario analytically more interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I can see a scam. Pretty clear to me.
A demand for full payment BEFORE collection.
Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
A term demanding full payment AFTER collection would be the only alternative, which would not be the brightest of terms a seller could put on the ad.

Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought any additions to an ad made after a bid has been placed are highlighted by placing in a separate section.

Last edited by MSS; 26th February 2022 at 22:46..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 10:29   #13
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

I doubt many scammers have been on Ebay since 2006 !
Old 26th February 2022, 10:58   #14
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
I doubt many scammers have been on Ebay since 2006 !
Right last comment promise!

Neither do we however, no address & no communication so would you forward payment of £1000+ after an offer of a negotiable deposit with collection this morning. If was me I would not feel to good explaining this to my wife that I had given £1000 to someone who I have no address for and no contact phone number.

If he is genuine and as said all along could be he will sell the car to someone, it looked a good buy at just over £1000.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 20:19   #15
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Decent feedback , doesn't sound like a scammer , anyone who has tried to sell a car on e-bay will know how many billy bullshippers are out there
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 12:38   #16
RichardC

MG ZT

Definitely not a scammer as I was the winning bidder 2nd time around and I picked the car up this morning.
RichardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 13:25   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I do hope that those who could see it as a scam or a possible scam on a public forum will return and acknowledge their failures of judgement and stature.
Old 27th February 2022, 14:05   #18
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
Definitely not a scammer as I was the winning bidder 2nd time around and I picked the car up this morning.
Good to know and I hope the car is a winner for you.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 14:53   #19
mgzrjake
Loves to post

MG ZTT 135+ diesel, MGZS 180 saloon MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
Great news. It’s a shame he was found near guilty of scamming before you won it collected it and are now a Zt owner enjoy your purchase. can you show us your new steed
Jt.
mgzrjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2022, 15:14   #20
RichardC

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgzrjake View Post
Great news. It’s a shame he was found near guilty of scamming before you won it collected it and are now a Zt owner enjoy your purchase. can you show us your new steed
Jt.
Thanks

This is ZT no2 for me! 1 saloon already and now an estate.

Rich
RichardC is offline   Reply With Quote