Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th March 2022, 11:33   #11
jon cee

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
So at what rate does the drain run would be one of my first questions. Does it run the battery right down over a day or two, or does it take a number of days without the car being used, The answer to this will assist in various opinions of where the fault may lay, otherwise you may find yourself stripping multiple components down to find no fault, and then move onto the next potential issue based on a whim. However a few suggestions to begin with -
When one of these vehicles (Diesel) get a T-4 diagnostic check, a regular fault that gets thrown up is the Glow Plug Relay issue. This often shows as a fault but offers no other issues.but initself may be causing a drain because of water ingress or general failure, but may still cause a fairly good draw of power. This is located with the engine ecu beneath the windscreen wiper arm on the n/s. Sometimes a central door locking motor can become tired and take a very long time to complete it's cycle.
Also some audio equipment installations can have failures, the highline sat nav system fitted as factory fit can get drowned via water ingress in the loadspace, this will cause many problems which may not be noticeable until the entire audio system gives up and fails totally.
So a few pointers to consider, but again the level of draw-down needs to be estimated and inform the group of helpers to in turn help you.
Finally, you will find there are many places that really dont want to work on these cars, these tend to be oil filter spinner type garages who want it easy and dont use logic in their process of fixing stuff !

think I might unplug the radio completely to test if this makes a difference, would i need to unplug the radio from behind, or can i just remove a fuse ? and what about the 6 disc changer in the glovebox, ? unplug from the back or remove a fuse ?
I have a horrible feeling my mate who suggested the steroe might be the problem to begin with, might be right after all, although the stereo was working right for months after the battery drain problem started and for months before the steering wheel controls started playing up. thanks for the tip
jon cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 14:54   #12
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

You don't mention the battery. Have you checked it?
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 16:35   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

T4 is a dealer computer testing kit that can "talk to the car". A number of members here have such a kit.
There is another system call Toaf that I think you can put on your own lap top and if you have the right leads talk to the car. other members can guide you about Toaf.

If you are going to leave the car for a few days, disconnect the battery but leave it in place.

Have you tried removing individual fuses to equipment to see if that stops the battery going flat?

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 17:49   #14
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2004 diesel, it would flatten the battery after 4 or 5 days of not being used. The battery was a brand new Bosch unit.

I put an ammeter in the battery positive line and disconnected the big flat fuse that supplies all the electrical bits in the car. Still the drain was there.

I then unplugged all the wires going into the alternator including the heavy cable that is bolted in place - no current being drawn.

Had a new alternator fitted and it’s been ok ever since.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 19:15   #15
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Give "Jamiewelch" a private message, he lives in Cheslyn Hay and has a T4, he may be able help or advise you.

Martyn

Last edited by squire; 17th March 2022 at 19:22.. Reason: Correction
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2022, 21:00   #16
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Hi Jon,
you need to tell people what equipment your car has, one of the big culprits of parasitic drain is the OEM sat nav that if is fitted lives in the boot, then there are some who have found water leaks through the sunroof drains play havoc with electrics. A webasto heater if fitted can also be a culprit and of course the alternator can discharge your battery in some instances.
A good tool for tracing parasitic drain is an Amphound, an electrical device that can tell you what current draw is through individual fuses without disconnecting them.
Good luck

I can second that, I have one, not cheap but it certainly saves time, far quicker than dragging fuses in and out.
Old 17th March 2022, 21:45   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Give "Jamiewelch" a private message, he lives in Cheslyn Hay and has a T4, he may be able help or advise you.

Martyn
Mmm I think John (Rogerheinz57) was explaining a spurious fault thrown up by T4 as an example, and I can't see how a T4 check would help when investigating a parasitic drain fault.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2022, 09:42   #18
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon cee View Post
from reading these posts over a few years, Ive heard of T4, but dont know what it is ... I thought that was reference to a contributor ?
T4 is a dealership diagnostics system for the car.

As you're in Tamworth you have Jamie in Cannock who has a T4 and can help you.

You are also in the midlands so you have the local mini meets once a month where lots of people get together and will help you with your issues... also held just outside Cannock
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2022, 11:08   #19
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

I have a very similar problem. Checked all fuses and no apparent drain. I suspect that it may be the replacement webasto but had no way of checking until it goes to Chris for other work in the next month.
To get round the problem I bought one of these battery isolators. £7.95

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123463209....c100667.m2042

If I am not using the car for a few days, I just disconnect it and happy days!
I had to cut a small corner off the battery cover to fit.

Please be aware that when you re-connect it the alarm sounds, so have your key fob handy.
Don't be tempted to use the enclosed fuse as this defeats the purpose
Good luck
Regards
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2022, 16:16   #20
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

If you disconnect the battery and then remove the 2 plugs from the Webasto that will remove it from the equation when you reconnect the battery.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote