Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd April 2022, 17:05   #11
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Trikey,

You're a doll! I met with one of the club's members (SD1Too) today He checked a number of things, and Yes it does appear to be an airlock in the cooling system. SD1Too used the Trip Screen Diagnostics that T-Cut spoke of above, and deduced that even in this cold weather, cooling of engine is not efficient. My Rover's temperature fluctuated, the highest being 105. After allowing car to cool and removing rad cap, there was fizzing and overflow of coolant.

Garage clearly did not follow correct procedure, probably desperate to get payment and send me on my way.

I will make contact with the blighters tomorrow.
lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 09:05   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Yesterday's assessment in detail

It was a pleasure to meet Lida yesterday. We collected a wealth of evidence suggesting that the ex-MG Rover main dealer had simply filled the cooling system without following any of the official bleeding procedure thereby creating an airlock. The plan is that I will rectify that tomorrow.

In replacing the thermostat and plastic coolant pipes the dealer also failed to set the serrated clips correctly thereby setting the stage for a further coolant leak in future. I managed a partial improvement within the restricted access.

The new sound which Lida reported is a rattling power valve linkage in the manifold chamber. We are in the process of seeking a replacement.

Questions raised in previous posts

Suzublu; the fan is a 3 speeder and low speed is working correctly. I tested the VIS power valves actuator and it's also working.

Trikey; the fan didn't progress beyond low speed but it was running far more frequently than normal for an ambient temperature below 10˚C.
The tappets were not noisy.

T-Cut; the owner prefers to have the heating, ventilation and AC system turned off completely so fan operation was restricted to coolant temperature.

Simon
Old 4th April 2022, 11:12   #13
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

As an addendum to SD1too's post and mine of yesterday, I have now spoken to Kingsbury on the phone. I was told that one of the technicians would phone me back, and someone did - though not sure he is a tech. He seemed to have difficulty in understanding what I was saying to him, which is:

"I noted from mileage recorded that you did not road-test my Rover, and as the job involved a full refill of coolant I decided to check something myself. I tapped into the onboard Instrument Pack Diagnostics and was able to observe the actual coolant temperature in degrees Celsius whilst driving. Temp was erratic – for example, jumping rapidly from 97 to 101. It reached 106, which it should not do especially in this cold weather. I think there may well be an airlock in the cooling system. This happens when MG Rover procedure is not followed."

This is what I was told. I am paraphrasing. (I welcome your comments about what garage told me).

Garage: You have brand new thermostat, pump and pipework connected to other parts which are 18 yrs old, and there is a period of adjustment best achieved by using the car regularly.

Me: Parts are inanimate objects, they are not humans that need time to get used to each other. I've never heard of such a thing. If that was so no one would have parts changed.

Garage: If your car was 5 years old then there is no stress on the old parts by the new ones, but your car is 18.

Me: I'm sorry, but I do not believe that. Why did she reach 106 temp? It suggests to me a stop-go circulation.

Garage: What do you mean 106 ....

Me: I told you right at the beginning of this call, that temp was erratic and reached a high temp it should not have. If we were in summer, it would have been higher than 106.

Garage: The cooling fan would come on ....

Me: I know that! I'm telling you 2 things and you're not listening!
The fan should not activate on such a short journey and with outside temperature being 7 C. What has caused the 106 C temp, do you know? There is a mandatory procedure when refilling the cooling system of a V6 from scratch. I think that is the bit that you missed out. To avoid air getting in, the expansion tank needs to be lifted up some 5 inches.
[/I]

Garage: That tank is fixed into the car.

Me: As far as I know, a strap retains that tank. Once unstrapped, the expansion tank can be lifted slightly.
=====================

That's the level of comprehension. The technician who worked on my car is back tomorrow. Apparently he spent 3 days on it, 5 hrs each day.

My plan is to phone again tomorrow and ask to speak to the actual chap who worked on the car. I am curious to find out whether he knows about the onboard diagnosis facility, which T-Cut has written about.

Last edited by lida; 5th April 2022 at 00:46..
Old 4th April 2022, 11:45   #14
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Love threads like this, especially when the owner, armed with the expert knowledge provided by people who actually know what they're talking about, stick it to the garages who try it on,
Even more sweet, is if the owner is female, which I presume, Lida is, and can report to the so called "Technicians" the correct info.
Brilliant Well done Simon et al
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 15:35   #15
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
As an addendum to SD1too's post and mine of yesterday, I have now spoken to Kingsbury on the phone. I was told that one of the technicians would phone me back, and someone did - though not sure he is a tech. He seemed to have difficulty in understanding what I was saying to him, which is:

"I noted from mileage recorded that you did not road-test my Rover, and as the job involved a full refill of coolant I decided to check something myself. I tapped into the onboard Instrument Pack Diagnostics and was able to observe the actual coolant temperature in degrees Celsius whilst driving. Temp was erratic – for example, jumping rapidly from 97 to 101. It reached 106, which it should not do especially in this cold weather. I think there may well be an airlock in the cooling system. This happens when MG Rover procedure is not followed."

This is what I was told. I am paraphrasing. (I welcome your comments about what garage told me).

Garage: You have brand new thermostat, pump and pipework connected to other parts which are 18 yrs old, and there is a period of adjustment best achieved by using the car regularly.

Me: Parts are inanimate objects, they are not humans that need time to get used to something. I've never heard of such a thing. If that was so no one would have parts changed.

Garage: If your car was 5 years old then there is no stress on the old parts by the new ones, but your car is 18.

Me: I'm sorry, but I do not believe that. Why did she reach 106 temp? It suggests to me a stop-go circulation.

Garage: What do you mean 106 ....

Me: I told you right at the beginning of this call, that temp was erratic and reached a high temp it should not have. If we were in summer, it would have been higher than 106.

Garage: The cooling fan would come....

Me: I know that! I'm telling you 2 things and you're not listening!
The fan should not activate on such a short journey and with outside temperature being 7 C. What has caused the 106 C temp, do you know? There is a mandatory procedure when refilling the cooling system of a V6 from scratch. I think that is the bit that you missed out. To avoid air getting in, the expansion tank needs to be lifted up some 5 inches.
[/I]

Garage: That tank is fixed into the car.

Me: As far as I know, a strap retains that tank. Once unstrapped, the expansion tank can be lifted slightly.
=====================

That's the level of comprehension. The technician who worked on my car is back tomorrow. Apparently he spent 3 days on it, 5 hrs each day.

My plan is to phone again tomorrow and ask to speak to the actual chap who worked on the car. I am curious to find out whether he knows about the onboard diagnosis facility, which T-Cut has written about.

Please Please keep us informed, I love threads like this..

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 17:47   #16
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Number 6 and Suzublu: Is there any credence, in this case, to new parts needing to be bedded in, which is what the garage is saying?
Old 4th April 2022, 18:00   #17
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
Number 6 and Suzublu: Is there any credence, in this case, to new parts needing to be bedded in, which is what the garage is saying?
As a person who used to work for MGR I can say what a load of rubbish they are telling you

Last edited by dave lincs; 4th April 2022 at 22:08..
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 18:32   #18
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Could anyone print the page, pages from the Rave manual about the correct procedure, for lida to present to the garage, first person she spoke to and the ' mechanic ' who did the job.

A video of their faces as they read them would be interesting.
Old 4th April 2022, 18:40   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Could anyone print the page, pages from the Rave manual about the correct procedure, for lida to present to the garage, first person she spoke to and the ' mechanic ' who did the job.
I've done that today Bill.

Simon
Old 4th April 2022, 19:11   #20
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I've done that today Bill.

Simon

I'm not one to brag but.................. great minds and all that.