Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th April 2022, 13:18   #11
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

As for BT, dont go there, their CEO received an email from me last week because I was lied to by a customer services agent. They told me I needed windows 10 or 11 to load the new anti virus Norton but I'd already loaded it onto a windows 8 machine so I knew that was not true.

macafee2

I am confused why you asked BT the question even if they are your broadband aupplier as they are not a software house. Why just not ask Norton? In fact their website will tell you the minimum operating system, how much RAM, amount of disc space etc.
In fact why did you ask the question, if you knew the answer??
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 13:36   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
I am confused why you asked BT the question even if they are your broadband aupplier as they are not a software house. Why just not ask Norton? In fact their website will tell you the minimum operating system, how much RAM, amount of disc space etc.
In fact why did you ask the question, if you knew the answer??
Norton comes with my BT Broadband and I thought BT would have a help desk which they did. BT has changed the anti virus they provide as part of a BT Broadband package from McAfee to Norton hence going to them. They helped me with my laptop but I needed them again a few days later for my pc.
That is how I knew I did not know windows 10 or 11. This second phone call was not me asking if it needed 10 or 11 but them telling me what "I needed"

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2022, 13:47   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Are you aware that although Norton (BT Protect) will load on Windows 8/8.1 not all features will be supported. This means that depending on your issues, the agent may have given you the correct info i.e. he may not have been 'lying'.

What exactly were you asking the BT agent?
Old 6th April 2022, 15:00   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Are you aware that although Norton (BT Protect) will load on Windows 8/8.1 not all features will be supported. This means that depending on your issues, the agent may have given you the correct info i.e. he may not have been 'lying'.

What exactly were you asking the BT agent?
I was having a problem installing on my PC and needed some help. I got a reply from my email to BT about it and they confirmed I don't need windows 10 or 11 to install it and that the agent was wrong. The agent did not inform me some features may not work, he said I need 10 or 11 to install.... and that is not true. Quite a difference between not installing and some features not working. I do not know what you would expect to be told, perhaps if some features don't work you would expect to be told you need 10 or 11 but I would expect to be told what features will not work.

macafee2
Old 6th April 2022, 15:11   #15
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:

As for BT, dont go there, their CEO received an email from me last week because I was lied to by a customer services agent. They told me I needed windows 10 or 11 to load the new anti virus Norton but I'd already loaded it onto a windows 8 machine so I knew that was not true.

macafee2

I do not know how you know that you were lied to. You were given information that was incorrect but that is not the same thing as lying.
His script could have said that you needed Windows 10 for a fully operational system. He would not necessarily know that Windows 8 would load but not have all the features and Windows 7 would load but with even fewer features.
Old 6th April 2022, 16:55   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

you raise an interesting point, what is the difference between being wrong and lying. I guess intent. As I was not told the truth, I have labelled it a lie.
I emailed someone a week or two ago saying xyz, they replied saying I'd said abc, my interpretation is they have lied, made a false claim. We can debate this but in a court of law, if they tell the judge macafee2 said this and I show the email proofing I said something different, would the judge take it that they were lying or they were wrong, made a mistake?

whichever, lie or mistake I was told something that was not correct and BT have been given the chance to retrain their staff.

macafee2
Old 6th April 2022, 17:53   #17
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
you raise an interesting point, what is the difference between being wrong and lying. I guess intent. As I was not told the truth, I have labelled it a lie.
I emailed someone a week or two ago saying xyz, they replied saying I'd said abc, my interpretation is they have lied, made a false claim. We can debate this but in a court of law, if they tell the judge macafee2 said this and I show the email proofing I said something different, would the judge take it that they were lying or they were wrong, made a mistake?

whichever, lie or mistake I was told something that was not correct and BT have been given the chance to retrain their staff.

macafee2
You have just gone over the top.
The information was readily available and the customer support person could have been helping someone else.
Old 6th April 2022, 18:00   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
You have just gone over the top.
The information was readily available and the customer support person could have been helping someone else.
What information was readily available? I could not get Norton to load, I rang BT for help and that is going over the top, can you explain how you get to the conclusion I went over the top?

macafee2
Old 6th April 2022, 20:21   #19
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
What information was readily available? I could not get Norton to load, I rang BT for help and that is going over the top, can you explain how you get to the conclusion I went over the top?

macafee2

Over the top:-

You said that that you were deliberatly given incorrect infomation by BT without any evidence - ie the guy lied to you.
You Emailed The CEO. Do you not think that the CEO of a FTSE 100 company can better spend his time making strategic decisions affecting 10,000s of people rather than sorting out someone's software query?
The software/hardware requirements for Norton can be found readily on the web.
This is first time you have mentioned problems loading the software. Where did that come from?
That is it for me. Over and out.

Last edited by another_clean_sheet; 6th April 2022 at 20:25..
Old 6th April 2022, 21:18   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Over the top:-

You said that that you were deliberatly given incorrect infomation by BT without any evidence - ie the guy lied to you.
You Emailed The CEO. Do you not think that the CEO of a FTSE 100 company can better spend his time making strategic decisions affecting 10,000s of people rather than sorting out someone's software query?
The software/hardware requirements for Norton can be found readily on the web.
This is first time you have mentioned problems loading the software. Where did that come from?
That is it for me. Over and out.
whilst you wont respond, Your post 19 does not deal with my post 18 and your post 17 does not deal with my post 16, you seem to be ignoring what I say. i was given incorrect information be it a lie or a mistake, whichever term we use the information was wrong. Either this is escalated within the company so they can retrain the helpdesk and improve the quality of the help desk or the company is not made aware and so cannot improve. How would you feel if you went out and purchased windows 10 or 11 only to find out it was not needed? How can senior management improve a company if they do not know what the problems are? You ask where loading software came from, see post #8 for first reference to BT. The CEO was not emailed to help sort out the software query but because I was given incorrect information. Although it is pointless me asking, what do you do if you are given incorrect information or poor customer service by a large company? If you do nothing then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution and when I worked for BT I would follow that comment with, and the company does not need problems. By that I meant, the company does not need that employee.
You say "The software/hardware requirements for Norton can be found readily on the web." delete delete delete so as not to get out of hand ........the software/hardware requirements were not the issue, loading was the issue.

My tolerance for what I think is poor customer service is very low.

macafee2