Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2022, 10:12   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Just getting back on topic, the war is entertaining a different phase now which is more focussed on the east and south. Surely Russia has the might to eventually take the key areas? I’m afraid I cannot see nato being able to do anything other than it’s doing today, to intervene directly surely risks a world conflict. It’s awful to watch and it is getting worse. The UK armed forces are at their weakest ever state, our one aircraft carrier could be easily removed by one hypersonic missile. Loads of old fashioned but lethal harrier jump jets would be superb operating in Ukraine. I haven’t got a clue on how this will pan out, hope our leaders have more than bumbling rhetoric.

In short, Russia does not have the might that it once had as the USSR. These days wars are more about signit and in this sense Nato is already actively fighting Russia. The other aspect is weapons capable of acting on the signit and again Nato countries are delivering some very advanced weapons to Ukraine. This is the reason for Russia suffering heavy destruction of its assets deployed in Ukraine.

I think we are in a for a long, grinding set of battles, which all wars are unless one side is vastly superior to the other as in Iraq, Libya etc.

The UK is militarily very potent, despite what the indigenous population keeps espousing. Ditto France, Germany, Sweden etc.

Russia's real might is in the nuclear domain.
Old 12th April 2022, 10:19   #32
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
In short, Russia does not have the might that it once had as the USSR. These days wars are more about signit and in this sense Nato is already actively fighting Russia. The other aspect is weapons capable of acting on the signit and again Nato countries are delivering some very advanced weapons to Ukraine. This is the reason for Russia suffering heavy destruction of its assets deployed in Ukraine.

I think we are in a for a long, grinding set of battles, which all wars are unless one side is vastly superior to the other as in Iraq, Libya etc.

The UK is militarily very potent, despite what the indigenous population keeps espousing. Ditto France, Germany, Sweden etc.

Or someone gets "fed up" as America did and drops a bomb that shocks the world. That brought a war to the end.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 11:27   #33
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Our two carriers which cost billions are so so vulnerable to a Russian Missile we cannot defeat. They are fantastic for flying the flag in peacetime. I do realise the harrier is only still used by the American marines, I was just thinking how useful they would be for the sort of warfare in Ukraine. NATO is a defensive organisation and unless something goes hugely wrong I cannot see them willingly enter the war, the USA has little appetite for it. I know France has more of a military than we have but their political situation may well change shortly, did LePen not receive money support from Putin? It’s just a shame the Ukrainians have to suffer so much as they stand alone against Putin.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 11:51   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

SIGNIT ???
Signet Jewelers - Signet Jewelers | Home

This lot you mean or have you made a spelling mistake ???---

Or maybe the royal seal ???---( With the E in . ?? )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 12:31   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
SIGNIT ???
Signet Jewelers - Signet Jewelers | Home

This lot you mean or have you made a spelling mistake ???---

Or maybe the royal seal ???---( With the E in . ?? )

Finger synchronization failure!

SIGINT = Signal-Intelligence

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/raf-...ence-aircraft/

Last edited by MSS; 12th April 2022 at 12:55..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 13:31   #36
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Our two carriers which cost billions are so so vulnerable to a Russian Missile we cannot defeat. They are fantastic for flying the flag in peacetime. I do realise the harrier is only still used by the American marines,
I think the Spanish Navy still operates them. At least they did up until the pandemic.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 21:38   #37
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Capital ships are always vulnerable. Hood, Bismark, Ark Royal, Yamato.

Not too sure about these hypersonic missiles. Maybe the work? Maybe they don't?
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 09:33   #38
mbev51
Banned

Removed

I think the building of the two new carriers was all about prestige, reminding the world that we continue to be a world power. Not sure we are able to put a battle group together to protect our one operational carrier, I suspect not. I vaguely remember stories of not having the correct equipment in Afghanistan. Our military procurement has always been controversial and expensive. I regard the carriers as a white elephant.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 09:39   #39
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/seco...%20operational.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 10:00   #40
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
I think the building of the two new carriers was all about prestige, reminding the world that we continue to be a world power. Not sure we are able to put a battle group together to protect our one operational carrier, I suspect not. I vaguely remember stories of not having the correct equipment in Afghanistan. Our military procurement has always been controversial and expensive. I regard the carriers as a white elephant.

The UK needs these mega projects in order to maintain a technical and engineering capability in defence. I for one think it's a shame they are not flying British/European jets off the decks. A naval version of the Typhoon or even a UK version of the Rafale, later joined by Tempest, would have been great.