Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2022, 20:38   #51
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would avoid the garage! If they don’t know how to get into the engine management using T4 (avoiding the other ecus) then they don’t know much about our cars!
Old 13th April 2022, 08:02   #52
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Lida

You could bring the car to myself or Trikey to see what is going on with it, if it turns out to be the thermostat then it is not a big job to change while you wait

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 09:42   #53
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Has the garage fitted any parts that now would appear to have not been needed? that they can't seem to use the correct T4 software, would indicate they did not diagnose the problem correctly, i would not allow them to do any further work on the car, and take advise from those on here that do have experience of the type of engine, If the thermostat is thoughgt to be at fault, it might be as good to change it, then see if the problem persists, if its ok, then you know that was the problem, if it still plays up, at least you know you can strike the thermostat out as being faulty. and try fitting a new snsor,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 09:58   #54
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

Thank you so much, Martin. They are saying that because I removed the satnav (years ago), their T4 stops at that point and cannot jump to the next area that needs to be checked.
Is there any credence to this?
The gobby service manager said they had to use another, generic test kit. "Wot I said, do you mean one that can diagnose all cars?"
"Yes, that's right" replied the gobshite.

I think in a logical way. What has changed in my car that could affect temperature? Thermostat. The new one may be faulty, or they may have bought a cheap one and to muddy the waters written down the known Rover part no. for the stat.

I wish I had just had new plugs done, oil change, MoT, plus one ignition coil.

I did tell the service manager a few home truths when I collected my car. He blushed, but was still spouting nonsense. However, I think he was genuinely shocked when, following my call to Simon, I phoned garage and told them I do NOT want them to change sensor, and not to do any further work.
lida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 14:33   #55
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If the garage connects t4 and then tries to scan the ecus, it will stop at the satnav as it wouldn’t be able to communicate for obvious reasons.

They have to go into the ecus individually to check them, it is easily doable.

The other way is to alter the zcs coding to tell the car not to look for the sat nav in future (although I suspect they wouldn’t know how to do that if they can’t get past the first hurdle)
Old 13th April 2022, 14:43   #56
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lida View Post
Thank you so much, Martin. They are saying that because I removed the satnav (years ago), their T4 stops at that point and cannot jump to the next area that needs to be checked.
Is there any credence to this?
The gobby service manager said they had to use another, generic test kit. "Wot I said, do you mean one that can diagnose all cars?"
"Yes, that's right" replied the gobshite.

I think in a logical way. What has changed in my car that could affect temperature? Thermostat. The new one may be faulty, or they may have bought a cheap one and to muddy the waters written down the known Rover part no. for the stat.

I wish I had just had new plugs done, oil change, MoT, plus one ignition coil.

I did tell the service manager a few home truths when I collected my car. He blushed, but was still spouting nonsense. However, I think he was genuinely shocked when, following my call to Simon, I phoned garage and told them I do NOT want them to change sensor, and not to do any further work.
I will be honest, i don't know enough about the T4 system to say, but i doubt that removing the sat nav would effect it, but i do understand engines, and everything points to either the thermostat not opening, or a sensor not reading right, not telling the ecu, to open the thermostat, has the timing been disturbed? belts changed etc? if not it has to be either of those, or occasionally both, a sensor can fail, thing is even genuine parts now are after market, so its possible that they might not be as good as what was fitted in the factory, I tend to stick with OEM stuff. even then, it can be a hit or miss.
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 15:14   #57
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

While I am typing a post, this forum logs me out! Doing post again.
Yes Martin, the TIMING BELT assembly was replaced because the tensioners were rattling. Also the water pump, because I think the belt drives the pump.
In what way would a new cambelt affect temperature?
On reflection, I should not hv gone ahead with that work because the whole assembly would have outlived me!

Last edited by lida; 13th April 2022 at 21:42..
Old 13th April 2022, 16:11   #58
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Yes Martin, the TIMING CHAIN assembly was replaced because the tensioners were rattling. Also the water pump, because I think the belt drives the pump.
For information Lida your engine doesn't have a timing chain, it has three belts instead.
Yes, the water pump is driven by the front timing belt.

Simon
Old 13th April 2022, 16:49   #59
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
While I am typing a post, this forum logs me out! Doing post again.
I tend to type posts in 'notepad' and then copy & paste. I have a history of losing posts (not on this forum) and having to start all over again.
daveo138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 21:44   #60
lida
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6

You're absolutely right, Daveo. From now on I will prepare all posts in Word.