Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2022, 11:17   #1
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Weeping for my power steering - err or perhaps not

Hi folks another query if I may ask nicely of our forum experts with reference to the photo below, as for a while Nigel has had slight oil mess weeping from what i initially thought was engine oil cooler hoses but a closer looked educated me to the fact the power steering also has a cooler section and thats what these hoses go into. Not yet had a problem with power steering only ever topped reservior up once but obv now keeping eye on it.

The question is then are the hose No 6 and 7 with the elbow sections serviceable like is it perished orings within them or do they fail like this and thats it?

Haven't dared mess with them yet as if i pull them off and break something fragile i'm knackered. Both hoses appear to be out of stock with only No 7 on ebay so if i cant renew them eek.... No 6 looks a pain with its pipework.

EDIT

Hmmm, two ideas....

1. Buy hose 5 from ebay and cut it in half to make a new 7 and part of 6 then fabricate elbow couplers.

or

2. Buy cooler section from ebay and cut it to make two elbow sections using appropriate sized hose & jubilee clips to couple to cooler pipes and hoses just then have cut off existing 6 n 7 elbows nice n easy.

Help me guys im getting dangerously creative here.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 16th May 2022 at 14:27.. Reason: Precision
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 17:55   #2
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Been there, you can use any return low pressure hose for a 75, I think they’re universal across the range (probably not the V8). You might try Exeter Road garage, they might have some for you. Alternative is to get high pressure remanufactured for you - check your local area for high pressure hoses for air/hydraulic service.
Schotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 18:13   #3
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Thanks for the reply Schotten.

Tomorrow i'm going under there armed with a caliper to measure the Diameter of the cooler pipes so i can get some steel elbow connectors though might not need just have to see tomorrow how much room there is but trying to avoid pulling the quick release plastic junk off just yet.

Today whilst in the shed i found a length of good quality fuel hose double walled that might do it, its marked as 5/16 = 8mm so fingers crossed.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Old 15th May 2022, 15:49   #4
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Ok, hats off to the member who PM'd me suggesting i look again at this so i did and found an answer to this problem. Was always thinking about how the oily mess around the PAS pipes looked very engine oil like rather than ATS fluid.....

With reference to photo below

Right by the PAS hoses at the bottom side of the intercooler on the black plastic side is a plastic strap between coolant radiator and intercooler which has fractured on the side of the intercooler causing the oily mess and I suspect is the source of sound of boost leaking as pressure comes in around 1800rpm which i noticed yesterday when parked up as i slowly one by one cure the bad noises on Nigel haha.

Both radiators seem secure with this plastic mount off so unless anybody has better suggestion im going to use epoxy resin to stick it back on and build up a re enforced area around it. I dont think i shall bolt it back up and if that fails use a square of fine body work repair mesh and more epoxy to build a patch up over the hole.

Any better ideas folks?

And finally who the "f" designed it lol. Personally ill blame the fella who brake checked Nigel in the worst weather possible a couple of years ago and got a cracked bumper for his effort it seems i didnt get out of that unscathed after all..

Edit

I take that back after looking at the photos again, much better to have the intercooler end brake as it haas rather than the coolant radiator hole out on the road....... And you know, the cost of fuel these days has started me easing off as mpg hasnt been to great but last week Nigel achieved a solid 55mpg+ doing 120 miles on 2 gallon but i kept the rpm to 1800 max all the way i hope this explains it.

Last edited by Retap; 15th May 2022 at 16:14..
Old 16th May 2022, 14:25   #5
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Thanks Mike.

Here is the repair, still got intercooler orings to swap as got a noise coming in above 2000rpm now but better than it coming in at 1800rpm spewing all over the PAS hoses etc. Tho there is not much oily mess down the right side of the intercooler which is good as that side has two of those plastic arms hoping they are intact so not yet out the woods with it we'll see.